Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
When the Romulans receive a trade agreement from a previously hostile rival, they must exhaust it. That's very clear. My question is: If they already have a trade agreement from a rival and the rival exchanges it for another one of their agreements, does this count as the Romulans receiving an agreement, meaning they must exhaust the new one?

I ask because it seems that the rules differentiate between "giving and receiving" and "exchanging". To "give or receive" a trade agreement to/from a hostile rival, you must have a ship or control node adjacent to or in the same sector as one of that rival's ships or control nodes. There is no such requirement for "exchanging" one of your trade agreements for a different one. The only requirement for that is that the rival must already have received a trade agreement from you. Also, it seems thematically correct that the Romulans would only be distrustful of rivals with whom they have just made peace, and that they would not have to exhaust a trade agreement just because a peaceful rival decided to exchange it with a different one. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GF9 clarified in another thread that romulans have to exhaust the trade agreement again, even when its just being exchanged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
GF9 clarified in another thread that romulans have to exhaust the trade agreement again, even when its just being exchanged.

Link, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can vouch for Angelsenior's answer. I recall reading the same thing and tried to find the link, but none of my searches turned anything up.

Thematically, it makes sense. I wouldn't get hung up on the whole "receiving" vs "exchanging" thing. Romulans are suspicious and xenophobic. Having a trade agreement with them doesn't change that. By exchanging it for a different one, you are changing the terms of your agreement, so they are cautious again. So they exhaust the new card you just gave them.

A lot of Romulan advancements are all about screwing with other players. Not enough to start a war...they hope. Exhausting new trade agreements means they have to be careful about how they interact with others. And it also tempers their extremely strong "First Strike" tech, since using that means giving back that tasty trade card as part of the betrayal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:

So what stops a player from simply exchanging their trade agreement every turn so the Romulan player never receives a benefit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wtcannonjr wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

So what stops a player from simply exchanging their trade agreement every turn so the Romulan player never receives a benefit?

Same thing as any other action that makes them an enemy--you lose whatever truce/benefit you get from them in return. You might get away with it once, exchanging a lower value card for a higher one, but that's it. A more common tactic might be starting trade and then simply pulling yours back at the end of the following round, before the Romulans can cash in. That way you get two turns of peace plus one turn of trade from them for nothing in return. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:

A more common tactic might be starting trade and then simply pulling yours back at the end of the following round, before the Romulans can cash in. That way you get two turns of peace plus one turn of trade from them for nothing in return. devil

The Klingon Empire rejects such cowardly and dishonorable behavior!

However, one does not become Chancellor of the Klingon High Council by being a simple, honor-bound lackwit. I'm sure some pretext can be uncovered to accommodate such an unfortunate digression of trade relations...devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Ferengi would love them. Especially if they get War is good for Business. When all 5 races come out I can see Ferengi wanting to have trade agreements with Klingons, Cardasians, and the Romulans will get the 3 production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any official answer to this question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the official answer:

Angelsenior wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:
This is the official answer:

Angelsenior wrote:

I did see that, but couldn't find the other thread...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much belated, but I believe this is the reply in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.