Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Whilst I wasn't in the math trade this year, I'm curious how the new space worked for everyone?

I was there Thursday picking up some games sold separately, but I thought that the space was much bigger than previous years, but the number of traders seemed higher still than ever.

I did wonder if it blocked entrance to Halle 3 - I wonder how the Merz-verlag organisers would respond.

Did you find your people easily? Was it sufficient space? What could be improved next year?

Anyway, not my place to comment really, just curious how people found it and gathering feedback in one place is useful for the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Same as always, really. Lots of chaos, but within the hour I found all the people I had trades with. As always, coming prepared helps a lot.

I was there at a quarter to twelve, and found a good place in the corridor leading to the cash point, where others were already standing - but when more people came, they gathered in the open place before that corridor, and didn't venture in there. So it took a while for people to find me. Fortunately I had some nice neighbours who would watch my stuff, so I could venture out and look for trade contacts a few times.

My car was parked under the Messe building. The entrance to the parking lot was close to the new place. But even if it was further, I really liked not having to haul all my for sale items through crowded Messe halls, and all my loot back an hour later. By keeping the trade area outside the Messe proper, this transport was much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought people standing in the corridor were pretty silly. It was so busy , it was impossible to go in there. They were completely invisible to the rest. The weather was cold, but at least it was dry. This would be a nightmare it's raining. I think a better place would be if it moved more to the back. This would keep the entrance to SPIEL available and I think that part was still covered. And it would be open enough for everyone to walk around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The usual organized chaos laugh . I had three trades and was done within ten minutes, that's OK in my book. It did help that there was some room to spread out - most people who had a lot to trade lined up against the wall in the corridor and you could just walk along to check the signs.

So thumbsup for the new location - as long as the weather is somewhat decent. It's not a place you want to put down a load of cardboard when it's raining .

Edit:
After re-reading some other posts on this topic: the new location still isn't ideal, but I still prefer it over the Galeria. Someone pointed out that the unused space in hall 6 could be used for the math trade. Now that would be a proper solution, but I'm not sure Merz will be so co-operative whistle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorthania wrote:
. It's not a place you want to put down a load of cardboard when it's raining .

That's what I was thinking - it was dry on Thursday and Friday, but was it already raining on Saturday at noon ? Hate to have had trades then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
the_vinman wrote:
I thought people standing in the corridor were pretty silly. It was so busy , it was impossible to go in there. They were completely invisible to the rest.

Something learned for the next time. When I arrived, the corridor was pretty well navigable. When people arrive, they should IMHO look around if their trading partners are already there. Fortunately, most people did, and didn't think that the corridor was impassable.

Next time we should perhaps move to the other side of the entrance. A large open space, that is still covered, and thus protected from the rain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I arrived when the meeting was going on on Friday, and there were ushers from The Messe directing visitors to the other entrance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watno wrote:
I arrived when the meeting was going on on Friday, and there were ushers from The Messe directing visitors to the other entrance.

That also happened on Thursday. The entrance to hall 3 was more or less gridlocked while at the Süd entrance, there were no queues at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hgzwopjp hgzwopjp
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorthania wrote:
Watno wrote:

That also happened on Thursday. The entrance to hall 3 was more or less gridlocked while at the Süd entrance, there were no queues at all.

On Saturday and I think also on Sunday the Messe guys made the math traders make enough room for arriving visitors, because the people kept streaming in like there was no tomorrow...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melioid
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:

Next time we should perhaps move to the other side of the entrance. A large open space, that is still covered, and thus protected from the rain.

I second that. There was lots of free space to the left of the entrance doors.

Other than that I found all trading partners rather quickly. Everything went smoothly.
After having all trades finished I deposited my loot at the wardrobe. Best 1,50 EUR spent during Spiel'16
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.-M. Frieg
Germany
Köln
NRW
flag msg tools
Fan since 1988
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it was really crowded, but in the end i made 65 trades and only 1 did not show up during both days (Thursday+friday).
So it worked well! It may take some time to find each other when both more or less not move in the beginning, but later on when it gets emptier after 30 minutes there are possibilites
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an announcement thread I could subscribe to for next year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben will post in this year's announcement thread when next year's math trade starts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H
Germany
Duesseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does anyone have pictures showing the full extent of a math trade crowd? When I mention it to people, they tend not to believe how many of us turn up.

I already checked the discussion thread, but so far the only pictures there are just partial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Åge Låstad
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pushing_cardboard wrote:
Does anyone have pictures showing the full extent of a math trade crowd? When I mention it to people, they tend not to believe how many of us turn up.

I already checked the discussion thread, but so far the only pictures there are just partial.

This year it was not possible to capture everything in one pic, as half the people were in the "corridor" and the other half spread out on the open space and stairs in front and around it.

Personally I think what might work best in the future would be for the people with a huge amount of games to set up agains the inner wall of the corridor, the first one closest to the entrance, and filling up backwards. Then if everyone can line up and go all the way down sticking to the right then turning around going all the way back on the "other right". That way most people should get most of their trades in one single pass. It worked OK the way it was, but it is a real pain having to go back and forth between the line in the corridor and the open spaces several times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
Ben will post in this year's announcement thread when next year's math trade starts.

And where would I find that one? In the Essen forums, or somehwere else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
Locu wrote:

And where would I find that one? In the Essen forums, or somehwere else?

The Essen 2016 no-shipping auction list. Post your own items for sale!

I don't think there is an actual announcement thread, but he wil post it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.