13 Posts

Fief: France 1429» Forums » General

Subject: sell me on this game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ste M
msg tools
Hi,

I am for the first time, really on the fence to buy a game.

Especially now after Essen and all the title that are yet to come out... whistle

And also after the big big variance of review I am reading.....

Should I pull the trigger on this?
Or better asking, will you rebuy this game if you didn't own it anymore?
(our group is mainly with 4 ppl)

I ma Also very interested in a story of ice and.... Mod

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
It's a great roleplaying+strategy game, in which you play the role of a medieval family. The rulebook can be a mess, but if you're not afraid to apply your own houserules, it can be an awful lot of fun.

Many are put off by the random effects of the game (most notably the Plague card), but I am of the opinion that the randomness can be mitigated by spreading your armies across multiple bishoprics, which I feel was the intent.

If you want a Song of Ice, though, I would recommend you look into the boardgame and the CCG; I hear they're really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
You are who you choose to be.
mbmbmbmb
CoolStuffInc has the bonus stuff as pre-order at a really decent price:

Fief: Medieval Buildings Pack $26.49
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/230398

Fief: Expansions Pack $22.99
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/230397

This game is a Love it / Hate it game.

The game really shines "above" the rules. If you just focus on the mechanics of moving, battle and voting, it will be a pretty dull experience. It only gets good when you are steering the board through the other players.

Check out the video reviews from the Chief and the Discriminating Gamer:
https://boardgamegeek.com/video/64541/fief-france-1429/dice-...
https://boardgamegeek.com/video/64809/fief-france-1429/discr...

The written review that won me over:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1309664/fief-france-1429-re...

The biggest problem with the game is the rules are not as clean as they could be... I have been pondering a re-write these last few weeks.

A beginning of a rules distillation:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/19861982

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
Sorry I meant a song of ice and fief variant.
I wanted to know how cool is it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't usually play Fief when it's just 4 of us.
We love to play Fief as what it is supposed to be - a negotiations-heavy game spiced up with betrayal and bribery. If played with a group of 4 you lack some of the things that make it cool cause you have too much space on the map to expand and you have fewer occasions for negotiations - you may just go on your own for a time then ally with someone and rush to victory together. Eventually it reduces to a strategy game with partnership and possibly shared victory; not that this is bad per-se, but we love to play Fief with the full complement of 6 people or even 5 so that the negotiations really grow natural.

If you look for war, strategy and negotiations with 4 people I'd rather have a look at the excellent Warrior Knights.
Let us know what you look for and we can be of much more help.

With regards to the AGOT mod I understand the guys did a great job at reskinning the game and changing slightly some aspects of the gameplay to match AGOT's theme, yet in the end the game is still Fief - sure some of the ppl involved will jump in and give some further explanation on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
The game gives its best when the map gets crowded - i.e. with 5-6 players.
Anyway, you may surely enjoy it with 4. The other guys here already listed some pros and cons, I'll add just a suggestion: the game works ONLY if the people you play with are somewhat open-minded. As others stated, Fief is intended as mainly a DIPLOMACY game. If you play it just as a traditional area control wargame, you'll lose most of the fun. And this is a general approach you have to share with your group. I suggest to involve them in the process before buying the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Mileta
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've recently bought it and played three 4p games since, of which 2 were relatively new to gaming. It was a blast - highly thematic and immersive experience. Yes, it's a streamlined game from 1980s which means it was done by the principle "history first mechanisms second" which provided it with some chrome and randomness, but the rules aren't so bad at all - I've had 1 or 2 questions after first reading which were all answered on BGG. After second reading I understood everything.

First game was for learning and it took us about 4 hours, other two were done in 2,5 - 3 hours.

Yes, in the essence it's a political-negotiation game, but with sound (yet simple) wargame-area control move and battle system. It is not by any means excessively complex - I think it is highly underrated, Shut Up and Sit Down didn't do it much justice with the review - there are, for example, virtually no exceptions in the rulebook. Preconditions for various elections and powers of certain titles are the only thing you'll need to grasp, but player aids will help you with that even in the first game. By the third one you'll now them all.

Production-wise it's a great package, with evocative style.

What made me give it a 10 rating was experience it provided that reminded me of Here I Stand (which I adore, but rarely play due to practically "6-player only, about 9 hours" demands) in a tighter package (bare in mind that I always play pope in HIS).

It's definitely not a game for "optimizators" and die hard strategists - it can get quite random in attempt to tell the story - plague will kill your family members, opponents will assassinate them and hit you with uprisings when you tax the people. Wild swings of luck can decide the winner.

If you like history at all and can get excited over references to it which stem from gameplay, you owe yourself this one. It's not "unplayable" due to chrome (as say Republic of Rome or some wargame monsters)... I don't know how I managed to overlook it for such a long time - it went under my radar for too long. It's "a game", for sure, but one leaning more towards storytelling through gameplay than towards winning through brilliant strategies. Marriages, treasons, assassinations, clerical and feudal disputes, weather and power-depending economy, medieval worldview in general - it's all here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When asking for recommendations, it's much more effective to tell people what sorts of games you like and dislike. If you go to a game's forum and ask "Should I buy this?" most people will say yes, because most people who subscribe to games are fans of the game.

Are you OK with lots of randomness and luck in a long game? If yes, then you'll probably like it. If no, stay far away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
Hi,

i usually don't tell ppl my like and dislike coz im used to go to collection when someone post, to see his liked and disliked games.

Actually I love virgin queen (we're about to play the 1st game, i discarded HIS coz we usually play in 4p and VQ could be played by 4). I love to see it can remind HIS.

I've just ordered the game in italian (the only copy I could find)

Ty to all the people for the kind comments!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the game and am hungry to play it more.

Having played a few times now, there are friends I wouldn't invite to play this game because I don't think I'd enjoy playing with them, notably players who'd sulk for hours over a sudden change of fortune.

A good title for this game might be, "Fief: A Violet Change of Fortune."

That's the kind of things that happen in this game. Some people will be entertained by the dramatic stories the game tells. I'm one of those.

The rules aren't hard to grasp. There are just several exceptions to learn, and there are a few places where you'll just have to interpret intent or make a ruling the way your group will play the game. Accept that and I think you'll have a blast.

The game really brings out the feel of the period. It's something like role-playing, something like strategy gaming, something like plotting and diplomacy. I suggest taking a deep breath, leaning back, and enjoying the ride. You sort of have to surrender yourself to the idea that you're living in a brutal medieval world. Since that's the theme of the game, I think it it delivers admirably on that experience. I want to play it more and more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefano1234 wrote:
Hi,
i usually don't tell ppl my like and dislike coz im used to go to collection when someone post, to see his liked and disliked games.

Actually I love virgin queen (we're about to play the 1st game, i discarded HIS coz we usually play in 4p and VQ could be played by 4). I love to see it can remind HIS.

I've just ordered the game in italian (the only copy I could find)

Ty to all the people for the kind comments!!

I checked your collection before posting my comment above cool
You seem to like very different games (luck-driven, RPG-like, heavy euro...) so you seem to be open to new experiences. The only possible concern are your friends, IMHO cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
I bought it and im opening it now, thanks to everyone!!!!!
jUst 1 question, there's a way to push the nobles in the plastic stand withouth ruining them?

I had bad experience with AH too..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
I had good results by gently prying the plastic bases open with two fingers and a thumb with one hand, and sliding the nobles in from an angle with the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.