Popular Tags: [View All]
Shannon McNair
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I've got a friend who plays Axis and Allies and is new to the larger boardgaming world. I've never played, so I don't know if there are opinions out the for what games are similar enough to AA to satisfy the light wargamer that might be broadly viewed as preferred to AA.

Yeah, it's all opinion, but short of drifting into heavy wargames, what games out there might appeal to AA player? I'd recommend Command and Colors: Ancients, but we need a 3+ player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing that came to mind was Eagle's Attack! with Expansion. Here is the entry: Attack! Expansion I have to stress that you want both the base Attack! game PLUS the Expansion.

Also, here is a session report that I did on one of our games - this might give you a flavor for the game: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1026713#1026713

I think this is a great game for those who like light World War Two-themed wargames and don't always want to be locked into the historical alliances in Axis & Allies (which, BTW, is one of my favorite games). Eagle is out of business, but copies of Attack! and the Expansion are still pretty readily avaibable on eBay, and possibly still from the Eagle website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it weren't for the 3 player restriction, I would say Memoir '44. I like it much better than Axis and Allies. You could play it with 3 or more but for that to work well, you really need a 2nd copy of the game and play what is called the Overlord scenarios.

regardless if it doesn't meet your need for a 3-player game, you may want to check it out for those times there are just 2 of you and you only have an hour or so to play games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon McNair
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianMola wrote:
If it weren't for the 3 player restriction, I would say Memoir '44. I like it much better than Axis and Allies. You could play it with 3 or more but for that to work well, you really need a 2nd copy of the game and play what is called the Overlord scenarios.

regardless if it doesn't meet your need for a 3-player game, you may want to check it out for those times there are just 2 of you and you only have an hour or so to play games.

Yeah, unless I miss my guess, it plays like Command and Colors: Ancients, which I love. But yeah, that's exactly why I specified 3+ players. He needs a 3+ player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A&A: D-Day is shorter, and in my opinion, more fun that the original time consumer. I have found balance issues with A&A: Europe, and haven't played A&A: Pacific. Any game that has a play time of more than 3 hours has no chance of my friends participating, so I don't focus on them (although I have a BUNCH).

Wizard Kings looks like its a good match, but its fantasy.

Twilight Imperium might match up. Its futuristic, and not heavy.

Heroscape maybe? Or Nexus Ops?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon McNair
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
presence wrote:
A&A: D-Day is shorter, and in my opinion, more fun that the original time consumer. I have found balance issues with A&A: Europe, and haven't played A&A: Pacific. Any game that has a play time of more than 3 hours has no chance of my friends participating, so I don't focus on them (although I have a BUNCH).

Wizard Kings looks like its a good match, but its fantasy.

Twilight Imperium might match up. Its futuristic, and not heavy.

Heroscape maybe? Or Nexus Ops?

Yeah, I didn't even think of Heroscape. I haven't played, but it sounds like a good option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, this is going a little bit further from Axis and Allies than is ideal, but you might want to check out the Britannia series. Light wargame, dice rolling, victory objectives, vaguely historical. Britannia itself has recently been republished but is specifcally 4-player. However the latest in the series, Italia, comes with a tailor-made game for 3 players (as well as a 4 player game, the 3 player is Rise of Rome and the 4 player is the Dark Ages).

They take at least 3 hours to play, but that shouldn't be a worry to an Axis and Allies fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon McNair
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know anything about Wizard Kings. I'll check it out. Twilight Imperium looks impressive, but also quite involved, fiddily, and long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
He could get in line for Tide of Iron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon McNair
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
He could get in line for Tide of Iron.

Whoa, looks great! And whoa! It's $80!

Cripes, why did you do this to me man?!?! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Forhan
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'm a long-time A&A fan, and here are some games in my collection that your friend would probably enjoy:

Nexus Ops - HIGHLY recommended if you want something like A&A but with secret victory conditions and power cards, and plays in 60-90 minutes with up to 4 players.

World In War: Combined Arms - Supports 2, 3, or 4 players. Just got it this week, and it looks simpler than A&A but still challenging.

Britannia - Haven't played it yet but this generally gets very favorable reviews on BGG. Might be a "heavier" game than what you want, however.

Star Wars Risk (either Clone Wars or Original Trilogy) - the OT version has special rules for 3 players making it unique among recent themed Risks which are really built for 2 or 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason -
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pnumekin wrote:

Yeah, I didn't even think of Heroscape. I haven't played, but it sounds like a good option.

Sounds like you're willing to get away from historical and try the imaginery. If so, try Nexus Ops. Tried this recently and it was a big hit with my friend and with me. We'll probably be playing it again next week. And, last I knew, eToys.com had it for a great price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt La Botz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might keep an eye on NEPPA Games ETO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis & Allies Pacific is the best of the A&A series and works well with 3 players. Columbia's Napoleon is another good, simple, 3 player wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon McNair
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BubbaK wrote:
You might keep an eye on NEPPA Games ETO.

ETO is the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking Tide of Iron as well--one reason is that each side comes with two identifiable base colors to allow multiplayer participation in most scenarios.

A&A: Pacific is a very good game, but the third player does not have as interesting a time of it playing the Commonwealth or even CW plus China.

On the other hand, A&A: Europe is fine as a three-player with one handling the Soviets, one the Axis and one the Anglo-American alliance. In fact I like it better with three than with two.

World in War works well as a three-player and the system is novel enough that it's not "A&A Europe rehash." I'd also suggest you take a look at the Eagle Games version of "Conquest of the Empire."

One more title that comes to mind is Worthington's "Clash for a Continent." Although it is designed for two, many scenarios have multiple commands including Indians, militia, multiple columns, etc. that lend themselves to more than one player.

Last but by no means least: take a look at VIKTORY II. It's a super game with great replayability for two to six or any number in-between.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium (Second Edition) plays very much like A&A, but has stuff like different races and a modular setup and diplomacy and trading and politics and stuff.

3rd ed. is great, too, but is a bit different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.