Andreas Becker
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps this answers itself, but say that you have a vintage tile showing a 3 bonus for red experts, and you have no red experts. You end up doing a press release first, and therefore have access to each booth at the fair. Is there any reason not to pick booth 2, take a red expert, then discard him/her in the next step (the "Wine Experts" step) of the Press Release, rather than just taking the 3 Fair Points bonus from booth 4? Plus, it could be that the red expert has the extra arrow symbol on it, thereby granting you 4 bonus Fair Points.

I assume that this just incentives the race to get booth #2 in years where there is a 3-bonus shown on the Vintage Card, but I wanted to check.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Brown
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I concur with your basic logic, but if you already have the required expert, then the 3 additional points would seem the better choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Becker
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PepsiFizz wrote:
I concur with your basic logic, but if you already have the required expert, then the 3 additional points would seem the better choice.

Very true!

But it's correct that you could take the expert and instantly use them, I assume?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, hopefully: 2016 - Lisboa, 2017 - A Colony in Mars, 201? - Escape plan
mbmbmbmbmb
FightOnGoBlue wrote:

But it's correct that you could take the expert and instantly use them, I assume?

Yes, you can, you choose the booth first, then you send Experts to the fair.

to make it easy, just place the wine tile on the first space on the aid at the bottom of the fair, and follow its steps by moving the tile.
You can't get that wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://playtmg.com/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newrev wrote:
to make it easy, justpPlace the wine tile on the first space on the aid at the bottom of the fair, and follow its steps by moving the tile.
You can't get that wrong.

Just a note, change out the wine tile to the wine value correctly when moving the wine tile from the storage to the fair: add in the extra points for aging in the cellar and renown cubes used from the region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are technically correct but there are also a lot of hypotheticals here. Your question assumes a player really wants/needs those extra points and doesn't already have the expert tile in question. But if you already have the right colour expert, then you are better off taking another spot. Or maybe this is the third fair and you already have a fairly comfortable lead. Or maybe you are so far behind that those few extra points don't help you and you would be better off focusing on trying to have the most money rather than wasting time worrying about getting fair points that don't help you. Maybe turn order and timing just didn't work out in your favour and someone made that move before you could? Maybe that red expert has an ability that will be more useful to you throughout the game than the extra fair points are worth?

You are totally correct that it is a valid move. However, the question about Why you would ever NOT do that move is much more complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, hopefully: 2016 - Lisboa, 2017 - A Colony in Mars, 201? - Escape plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Mools wrote:
You are technically correct but there are also a lot of hypotheticals here. Your question assumes a player really wants/needs those extra points and doesn't already have the expert tile in question. But if you already have the right colour expert, then you are better off taking another spot. Or maybe this is the third fair and you already have a fairly comfortable lead. Or maybe you are so far behind that those few extra points don't help you and you would be better off focusing on trying to have the most money rather than wasting time worrying about getting fair points that don't help you. Maybe turn order and timing just didn't work out in your favour and someone made that move before you could? Maybe that red expert has an ability that will be more useful to you throughout the game than the extra fair points are worth?

You are totally correct that it is a valid move. However, the question about Why you would ever NOT do that move is much more complicated.

Glad you enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL. I can outline another situation that happened during my last 2-player game. In a nutshell, neither booth was the best choice--she should have gone for the money or for first place. Why? My opponent ended the third fair with zero bagos, and her final action was all set up for a big export push. But I went first. And I moved onto the export space. Since she couldn't afford to move there, she basically had to waste her final action. We calculated the point swing, and due to losing a majority and sharing another bonus it was in the neighborhood of almost 40 points! All for lack of a single bagos...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.