Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty straight forward question. Just wondering how many times everyone is willing to try a game before they officially decide they don't like it. It could be tempting to write off a game after one try (especially if you have so many games waiting to be played for the first time), but in my opinion, a game deserves several plays before throwing in the towel. Maybe you got the rules wrong, and the game didn't play the way it was supposed to. Maybe the game takes multiple plays before you get the hang of successful strategies. Maybe there are a bunch of different players/faction with different powers or special abilities. Could be a bunch of reasons. I think about music. There are very few times I will instantly fall in love with a song. Often, they creep up on me after several listens, and then I really become obsessed. I think games are like that, in a way.

So, how many plays for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minimum 3 but I am of the opinion that the cracks start to show between plays 7-10 so if the game is not too odious then at least 10 times. On a first play most people get rules wrong, game flow is interrupted for reference checks etc. so you can't truly get the feel for a game. That being said, the more I play games, and realise how many good games I already own, I have less tolerance for sub par games or games that I have to tweak or use variants to make work for me, so I can understand a bit better that the people who have played thousands of games have even less patience than I do! Also, I don't really like duplicates in my collection so if from a first play a game reminds me of one I already own and love, and doesn't bring anything particularly new or striking to the table, then it gets a few more plays to be sure but TBH it's pretty much out the door from the get go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I don't enjoy an experience then I have little reason to repeat it. The idea that I need to repeat that experience in the hope that I learn to appreciate it sometime in the future is silly. I have more than enough games I already enjoy.

I'm also an excellent judge of what I like and don't like. I know fairly well after one play whether a game has potential for me or not. Playing a bad game multiple times just confirms what I already know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not even one.

Pete (can usually tell if a game is a loser just by reading the rules)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games are very group dependant. Play with one group and the game can fall flat, play with another and it can be amazing. I'd always give a game a few chances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally one. As and experienced game player I know fairly well if I like a game, don't like a game OR on a VERY rare occasion feel there was something off in the play experience that may have tainted my feelings on the game.

Just like your first impression of people 'most' of the time you are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Not even one.

That would save me so much time (and money)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually tell mid-game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Click to view this user's profile.
badge
Uncertainty and Innovation
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Not even one.

I don't even have to read the rules. I can tell a month before it's released by looking at the font of the title on a prototype copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Usually one play is enough for me to know if it's something I'll like or not. It helps that I do a lot of research and usually already know a lot about a game before I play it. A few games take several plays to grow on me. For example, I initially found La Granja to be just plain annoying with its fiddlyness and point-saladyness, but at some point the fun of the game overcame that gripe and now it's one of my favorites.

My wife, OTOH, seems to usually hate a game after the first few plays, and then gradually warms up to it. I think this is because I almost always learn it by myself and then teach it to her cold. She really hates that confused feeling when you play a game for the first time with no prior knowledge, so she always has to get past that before she can really evaluate the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
No set number. Depends on the type of game. I played Exploding Kittens for 1 minute and could easily say I don't like it. I've recently been playing some longer/heavier games(Forbidden Stars, Eclipse, Star Trek Ascendency)and I thus far like them but like most games with some meat I need several plays to get a full impression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I like things arnmod
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty easygoing. I like almost any game I play at least a little bit. In the rare case I don't like a game (rate it under a 5) I will not play it again, except out of social obligation (to small children).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends how bad the first play is. If it's positively bad then I'll only give the game a second chance with an "excuse" (e.g. a friend really loves it, we're trying a different variant, I have reason to think some non-game factor contributed to my bad time). If it's just "meh", then I'll give it a second or third play no problem. But I doubt much more than that. I have too many games I do enjoy to play to waste time with ones I'm only lukewarm on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules read through or one play. Two at most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game. If it's made up of a bunch of mechanics I'm already familiar with, I can figure out I hate it pretty quick (half a game maybe.) If there's something new to me, it can take a lot longer. Longest I've gone so far to figure out that I didn't like something is maybe 5 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to get 5 plays of a game.

That way I feel I have been more than fair.

But some games just don't make it that far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
2 to see if I like other people's games or not.

Games I buy I can tell I'll like before I play them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to aim three so I can account for any bad play. There have been a number of lesser initial plays for games that got better as I played them more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Often a single one. Sometimes more. My opinion may change over time though, but not often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can usually tell after reading the rules if I'll like it or not. My success rate is pretty high here (although I know myself very good after 51 years meeple )

Otherwise, a couple of turns or one playing will finally suffice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One...

Twoooooooo...

Two it is; wait that might be the number of bites to get to the center of a tootsie pop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
meshnaster wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
Not even one.

I don't even have to read the rules. I can tell a month before it's released by looking at the font of the title on a prototype copy.

I can tell just by squeezing my brain muscles really hard 8 months before the game designer's mother is even born. If I seize out and die I know the game really sucks.. luckily I can also revive myself from the dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cannon Wolf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
meshnaster wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
Not even one.

I can tell just by squeezing my brain muscles really hard 8 months before the game designer's mother is even born. If I seize out and die I know the game really sucks.. luckily I can also revive myself from the dead.

I can tell just by analyzing the atoms that will eventually be used to form the molecules and elements of the parts that will physically make up the board game. If any of those have less than the average half-life they are supposed to, I don't bother with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If there are a few promising elements I notice during my first run through of a generally meh game, I'll give it another go and try to see how to bring those elements to the fore, be it through changing what I do during my turn, or pulling some house rules together.

If there are few/no promising elements and the rules are a pain in the arse, then I'll never play the game again.

If an okay game has similar mechanics to one I'm already familiar with, then I'll stick with what I already know and give away the new game.

In all honesty I value my time too much to give even average games multiple attempts. If I have fun with a game I'll play it again, if I do not, or if it all seems too dry, I'll give up on it. It could well be me not understanding a game, but if instructions/theme can't convey what I should be doing as a player then that's a problem with the game in and of itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Fox
New Zealand
Titirangi
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.