$5.00
$30.00
Thomas Delinck
United States
Hobart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So a few years back I purchased War of the Ring 2nd Edition when it was released. It's easily my favorite board game, but I found the minis it came with to be absolutely terrible. So I replaced the armies with colored and labeled wood tokens, and the named character minis I replaced with remounted Heroclix minis that looked like the characters in the movies.

Today I finally finished the minis from Lords of Middle Earth. Well, except for two. Treebeard, because I don't own the Treebeard expansion. And the Balrog.

The Balrog is driving me nuts. As far as I can tell, there is no small model of the Peter Jackson style Balrog out there. I'm talking no more than, say, two times larger than a normal Heroclix mini. It's the last mini I want to replace, and I am having a hell of a time finding something small enough to be used on the game board.

Does anyone out there know of a small Balrog miniature I might be able to use?

Anyway, here is a pic of all of my named minis as of this evening...

http://imgur.com/a/xjuXi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D&D Balor mini
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GW?

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Balrog?_requestid=45632...

expensive and not sure if too big though.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not for sale yet, but Ares Games will eventually have one:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1402889231/sword-and-so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Delinck
United States
Hobart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the ideas everyone. The balor will probably be a decent option, although that Sword and Sorcery one looks pretty awesome too.

I seem to remember the Games Workshop one being a bit large...and really pricy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
dbelcher wrote:
GW?

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Balrog?_requestid=45632...

expensive and not sure if too big though.

Cheers.

I have this figure. He's too big, even for the CE. But he looks awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Ortiz
Spain
Santander
Cantabria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is eaglemoss chess figurine, not really hard to find, not really expensive, it comes prepainted. Heres a photo compared to the WOTR balrog. Hope it helps

(I sawed and glued the figurine on a new base)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normiyagi wrote:
D&D Balor mini

I have this figure for Heroscape. It's way too big for WotR. The base of it would probably cover up 3-4 territories on the board. In Heroscape terms, the base is a full circle that is roughly the size of a 3-Hex terrain piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Delinck
United States
Hobart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Papadios wrote:
This is eaglemoss chess figurine, not really hard to find, not really expensive, it comes prepainted. Heres a photo compared to the WOTR balrog. Hope it helps

Wow, I think that chess piece is about as perfect as I'm going to find! Thanks! And you're right about the price being reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neuro Mancer
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have made one out of GW beastman and gargoyle wings, few various bits and GS.
Here it is compared to the original Balrog from the game https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/3227169/war-ring-second-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DFu4ever wrote:
Papadios wrote:

Wow, I think that chess piece is about as perfect as I'm going to find! Thanks! And you're right about the price being reasonable.

That is a cool Balrog fig, but after looking around I am having trouble finding one for sale here in the USA. I see some at a reasonable price on Ebay, but they are all in the UK and with shipping the price becomes...not so reasonable.

Anyone care to share a tip on where to find these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Delinck
United States
Hobart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing this chess set was a British release, because I ran into the same issue of only finding them in the UK.

That said, I ended up ordering mine about $25 shipped off of eBay. It was a reasonable price for me to finally complete my project, and it really is the perfect size for WotR. I'm actually going to leave it on the chess piece base, as it looks really nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought one also

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.