Popular Tags: [View All]
Kellen Feral
United States
Los Angeles - Mar Vista
California
flag msg tools
One Eternal Round
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so excited for this game, but with a quoted game length of 2-4 hours... I'm starting to get a bit worried.

Really hoping this trends towards the lower 2 hour end, but worried it's board game hours, which means the actual game will take 4-6 hours. 4-6 hours is almost a dealbreaker, even with a theme I love, negotiation based gameplay, and the potential for treachery.

Anyone had a chance to play yet that knows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if anyone has played more than sample rounds. Fantasy Flight play testers, I believe, are all in house. So don't think we'll have any way of knowing this. From everything I've read, I can't imagine it taking longer than 4 hours. It seems more straight forward than Battlestar Galactica.

I know what you're saying though, Publishers tend to be really optimistic with the quoted play times on boxes. 2-4 hours is a pretty wide margin though, hopefully 4 hours is more extreme cases. I'd hope the game to be 3 hours. Heavy negotiation games tend to run longer than other games, but they're so much more engrossing that I don't mind.

There's only 6 rounds of gameplay, I'm unclear how all of the steps work within each round, there's quite a bit, players proposing things, voting on things, drawing cards, moving figures, etc. So, I don't know, assume 5 minutes per player, per round, and that's a 3 hour game right there. The same as assuming 30 minutes per player which is equivalent to other complex games with many phases.

I'm going to stick with the assumption of around 3 hours being pretty accurate. Give or take an hour based on lower player counts, or extra talkative or AP-prone players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the GenCon demo I was in, even with the unfamiliarity, I couldn't see this taking longer than 3 hours at the max unless your group is very indecisive in its wheeling and dealing. The game length will vary slightly as the Event cards dictate how many player-turns occur during each of the 6 game rounds, and you're definitely going to have some games where everything goes to shit with a quickness and your Federalist buddy laughs his way into paying for the pizza (assuming he made the game last long enough to get his score high enough to qualify for the win).

I think if you begin every game with the explicit instruction that almost any game asset is tradeable and negotiable, then people will have an idea of what to expect, will valuate their assets ahead of time, and speed the game along.

The only question I have remaining in this regard is how promises related to voting are managed. Are players whose actions are approved, obligated to carry them out in a manner agreed to in advance? Would that qualify as a "immediate trade" as opposed to a promise to be kept/broken later? I could see that being a house rule ala Traders of Genoa.

As an example, the offer mentioned in the last article - "If you vote for me and my action is approved, I will give you the asset." Ironclad or renegeable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"If you vote for my action and it wins" cannot be an immediate trade, because voting for an action card and deciding who wins happen at different times.

My interpretation of the enforceable-trade rule is that, if all parts of the trade can be carried out simultaneously, then it's all binding. Otherwise, any part of the trade that takes place after the trade is proposed/accepted is not enforceable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
"If you vote for my action and it wins" cannot be an immediate trade, because voting for an action card and deciding who wins happen at different times.

My interpretation of the enforceable-trade rule is that, if all parts of the trade can be carried out simultaneously, then it's all binding. Otherwise, any part of the trade that takes place after the trade is proposed/accepted is not enforceable.

That matches mine.

In short, I think that rule was designed to stop you from having to constantly both hold onto your card/cardboard during the handoff and then count to 3 before you both let go at the same time. Other than that, proceed with the backstabbing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rodger
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lanfearl wrote:
I am so excited for this game, but with a quoted game length of 2-4 hours... I'm starting to get a bit worried.

Really hoping this trends towards the lower 2 hour end, but worried it's board game hours, which means the actual game will take 4-6 hours. 4-6 hours is almost a dealbreaker, even with a theme I love, negotiation based gameplay, and the potential for treachery.

Anyone had a chance to play yet that knows?

First game, six players, started around 6:30 ended around 10. Some pauses for rules stuff and to get the player who keeps wandering away back to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xorsyst xorsyst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it last night for the first time. After rules explanation, we played for 3&1/2 hours before calling it at the end of round 4, 2/3 of the way into the game. It really *can* take a long time if people argue a lot, which is kind of the point of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Just finished my first game ever. 6 man game, took 3 hours and 30 mins sharp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Money
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

Now that you played the game, considering the game length and your sessions, would you say the game is worth the $70 price tag?

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a game with 5 recently, all new players except for the GM. Including rules explaining, about 4.5 hours. Had we negotiated more, it would have lasted longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Brennan
Scotland
Lanark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games under the belt so far. First was only 4 players and we were getting to grips with the game. I'd say it took about 3 1/2 hours. The more recent game was a 5 player affair with 3 new players and it lasted just over 3 hours.

Given this I'd say around 3 to 4 hours is what you should expect. The exception perhaps would be if threat isn't kept in check by the group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes some time, but most of that is during the negotiation when everyone is pretty involved in either the offers or discussion/voting for them. I've wondered if a timer during discussion and voting might help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.