Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

I've been a little disappointed by the slow growth of pre-orders on Legion's CPO site, particularly given that when the game was with GMT, we had around 250 preorders (which is what Randy needs to go to publication with a game).

In an effort to try to get some momentum going, I've decided to address the one issue that seems to be keeping the game off of many naval wargamer's short-lists: multiple ship combat.

As I've noted repeatedly in design notes and discussion forums, the mechanics that drive the realism in CS really only adhere to reality (or as close as a board game model can) is when only allowing two combatants at a time. The calculus when adding more ships becomes far too complex to model. For instance, at the outset of any turn, two ships, relative to the wind and each other, can occupy one of 64 different positions. When adding additional ships, the number of combinations is equal to 8 to the X-power, where X is the number of ships in play. That means that a relatively simple battle between three ships on a side equates to 262,144 possible positions. Obviously, something will have to give when playing with multiple ships.

I've come up with two options that allow for multi-ship battles in CS:

1) A little more complexity at the beginning of each turn and the expense of some reality (with regards to physics), allows the retention of (somewhat) accurate representation of the weather gauge, or

2) Complete abandonment of the weather gauge as a game mechanic (simpler, but it pretty much reduces the ships to powerboats with regards to movement).

So, mechanics allowing multi-ship battles are now in place in Captain's Sea.

In addition to this enhancement, I've also tweaked the means in which the battles are scored. I believe the new system will provide a more competitive experience by applying a greater handicap to more powerful ships.

Given these adjustments, I'd like to run through another series of playtesting, just to make sure nothing's obviously awry.

I've you'd like to help out in this endeavor, please drop me a note.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you make it so the base game stays as is and keep the multi ship rules as a variant of some sort?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think option 2 will lose the essence of what you are trying to do with this design.

Which famous engagements will this open up as new possible scenarios? Battles of Plattsburgh or Erie?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ted,

That's the idea. The multi-ship options are exactly that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mpnagel wrote:
Ted,

That's the idea. The multi-ship options are exactly that.

Cool! Unfortunately I was already in so that doesn't help you.... ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike,

I'd have to stick with the ships already included in the game, so I have to go back to some research as to which were engaged (or nearly so). If memory serves, both the Congress and the President were nearly run down by two enemy ships (but don't quote me on that). Beyond that, it would be purely hypothetical.

Both options get away from the essence of the design, but the masses have spoken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, after a quick check, the Congress was trailing the action between the President and the Belvidera, so a variant of that scenario could easily be created.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Barnes
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game sounds really cool. I'm going to preorder!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Lein
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Brian, thank you for your pre-order. It's a unique game from a naval game designer who knows his stuff and it's pretty much ready to go. What we need now is help spreading the word so we can garner the 250 CPOs needed to get this one published. Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Randy Lein - LEGION WARGAMES

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.