Enemy Action: Ardennes» Forums » General

Subject: EA:Ardennes vs Battalion Combat Series: Last Blitzkrieg rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JR Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
So I own both games, will learn both eventually. Trying to decide which to learn first. I will be playing solo. I am fairly experienced with OCS, and have played D-day at Omaha Beach quite a bit and loved it.

Anyone here play both systems yet? Which did you prefer?

I've started clipping Last Blitzkrieg but with 1700 counters I am already tired thinking about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane P
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
I've played the DD@ series and EA: Ardennes, but not that last blitzkrieg. I think EA: Ardennes is a fantastic title (at least the German side solo, which is all I've played). It is not a "monster" title and that makes it really manageable. The AI is sharp, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dirtcheap wrote:
So I own both games, will learn both eventually. Trying to decide which to learn first. I will be playing solo. I am fairly experienced with OCS, and have played D-day at Omaha Beach quite a bit and loved it.

Anyone here play both systems yet? Which did you prefer?

I've played EAA and like it very much as a solitaire wargame. (So far I've played GS but not AS.)

I've not played LB, but it seems it's a regular 2-player wargame, not a true solitaire game, right? So I guess the obvious factor for preferring one or the other is whether you prefer competeting to win vs an AI player or prefer soloing both sides of a normal 2-player wargame.

(Well, EAA also has 2-player mode, so you can solo both sides of it too, which I did first to learn the basics of the system.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I playtested both over a long period.

EA:Ardennes is one of the finest wargames that I have played in well over fifty years, full of tough decisions and cruel twists of fate. It's just great fun. Both solo systems are a wonder, full of clever design mechanisms.

LB is an innovative game of planning where you choose your axes of advance and play through the implications of these decisions over many turns. After many plays, I found having to activate every formation each turn became rather tedious when in many cases little was being attempted. Others like this comprehensive approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
Ahh, this is what I was wondering. LB seems like a great idea. I know its not true solitaire but that does not bother me. But after going through the rules LB does seem to have a lot of planning but not much action.

EA:A does seem like it might be better to start with just to learn both sides of the AI.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.