Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Minis and thier bases rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Once I insert the correct chit and push in the correct mini can I glue the mini t9 the base or will it mess something up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be very careful with pushing the chits into the slots. Many people have reported that thick flash on the plastic bases scrapes and ruins the chits when you try to insert them.

Also, gluing the mini AFTER inserting the chits is VERY likely to result in gluing the chit to the base as well.

You might want to glue the minis onto empty bases and wait for the glue to dry completely, THEN take a craft knife to trim off any protruding plastic and glue, ONLY THEN trying to insert the chits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck opening the slot up wide enough in the small size bases. It's way too thin, but according to FFG CS "meets their functional tolerance ranges" and is "indicative of the whole"...shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you care, since writing the above, I followed that sequence exactly, and had decent-but-mixed success.

I glued on the minis, waited for them to dry, then went in with an Xacto knife and cut and scraped off the plastic and glue which protruded around the locating hole into the zone needed for the chits.

I then inserted the chits. For the small bases, it was a real squeeze, but every chit went in after I used another chit to push the primary chit into place for the last few millimeters. I do not expect that they will ever come out again, unless I cut apart the plastic bases, but that's ok with me.

However, for the MEDIUM bases, this was not possible, as they have WAY too much flash, deep inside the base. The medium bases are pieces of DOOKIE, and FFG should be deeply embarrassed about ever allowing them to ship. I couldn't make the medium bases accept the chits, so merely have those chits standing up at the back of the bases using the pairs of vestigial external "Clips" which were provided for another purpose.

For the HUGE bases, I didn't try to use them, just cut the pegs off of the Star Spawn and threw away the bases some time ago, so I cannot speak to how well it would work for the 2nd edition huge bases. The first edition huge bases are fine, chits slide in and out easily with no problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for chiming Chick, talking to FFG felt like stonewalling. They have a production issue here that they are flat out denying exists!shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Scrat wrote:
Good luck opening the slot up wide enough in the small size bases. It's way too thin, but according to FFG CS "meets their functional tolerance ranges" and is "indicative of the whole"...shake

I'm not sure that's true. Mine are tight, and inferior to 1E, but the tokens have been in and out a few times without damage* - they're stiff and need some effort but they work.

That's the small ones, the medium and large ones for me have been fine, athough the medium ones had some flash covering up the window which needed removing, but this just obscured the text on the tile, rather than stopped it being inserted.

*one got damaged, but that was by a peg from a monster protruding too far in, which is more a problem with the mini than the base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some sets are worse than others. I have several bases that I have given up on inserting for now. When I find some time I'll clean everything up with an exacto knife and try it again.
The flashing and quality on these minis is far below what I expected from FFG. But they are salvageable with some TLC. I'll give everything a good cleaning with a fresh blade and then a hot water dip to straighten the warped ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan For
Sweden
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb

This is what I ended up doing, I printed my own smaller bases. I really did not like the look of the included bases, and they obscure far too much of the tiles. Please excuse the poor iphone photo and quick paint job.

If anyone is interested, I have uploaded the 3d file if anyone else wants to use it. Currently waiting for approval.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan For
Sweden
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
...and now it is approved. So if you have a 3D printer and would like to test this, this is the file: Small monster base 3D print file (STL)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.