Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
.....to lighten up, be less anal retentive, and less humourless.

I learned early on that 80% of people on the forums are taking GAMES way too seriously and don't grasp concepts like 'sardonic', 'jovial' or 'sarcasm' and that board games are not as life or death serious as a cancer diagnosis.

I'm constantly reminded of this. Sadly.

I posted, what I thought, was a great idea I came up with recently on the forums for a game as the post also included my painted mini's for the game being used in the example.

I also posted it in the "General" section as it was the one most applicable.

I've been writing for about 30 years, have had shorts published and have 28 songs, with lyrics, also published. I also taught English for a number of years, many moons ago.
IE: I know at least something about writing

It was such a swanky idea that I posted it for consideration to the mods.
After many, many days this is the archetypal, BGG-dosed, response:

We're sorry, but your recent article was not awarded any geekgold, and has not been posted to the forum:

An Easy-Cool Storage Solution for Minis! (& My Specter Ops Painted Figs) for Specter Ops

Reasons:
80% Irrelevant
WTF does that even mean? It's about board game minis and their storage!

10% Poor Structure See aforementioned blurb about having a grasp on the basic tenets of writing. Maybe not up to BGG's nebulous, dour standards but it's served me ok.

10% Wrong Item How what I chose to use for my post was exactly 'wrong' when it's the only game I have here at present WITH minis.

LMFAO!!
They actually BREAK DOWN how the post sucked/failed!!
And since it's entirely subjective: The percentile measurement mean exactly squat.

Seriously: Many of Y'all need to pop a 'lude and CTFO.

"GAME:a physical or mental activity or contest that has rules and that people do for pleasure"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do know that the mods aren't the ones that approve/disapprove and award GG, right? It's done by popular vote on GeekMod.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mb
Also, why didn't you just post it as a thread instead of marking that 'this is a good post' button?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
You do know that the mods aren't the ones that approve/disapprove and award GG, right? It's done by popular vote on GeekMod.

Hey, I never knew that! I never pressed the special button because I never thought my posts were brilliant enough for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Could be because you're a... darn, what's the word I'm looking for, starts with a "d", no, don't help me, I'll get it... Doormouse? Nah, dang, this is just escaping me.

Donut?

Diaphragm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
[q="skutsch"]Could be because you're a... darn, what's the word I'm looking for, starts with a "d", no, don't help me, I'll get it... Doormouse? Nah, dang, this is just escaping me.

Donut?

Diaphragm?

Diphthong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always figured submissions for GG should only be directly applicable things like reviews or session reports. What you seem to have posted was a "look what I made" article. In that regard, then it really isn't widely applicable to the game itself, and instead you can simply post it as a "look what I made" article for no GG consideration, and it'll go right through -- no GeekMod required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesl59 wrote:
bortmonkey wrote:
skutsch wrote:
Could be because you're a... darn, what's the word I'm looking for, starts with a "d", no, don't help me, I'll get it... Doormouse? Nah, dang, this is just escaping me.

Donut?

Diaphragm?

Diphthong?

Diphthong! That's it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGamesOwn wrote:

I learned early on that 80% of people on the forums are taking GAMES way too seriously and don't grasp concepts like 'sardonic', 'jovial' or 'sarcasm' and that board games are not as life or death serious as a cancer diagnosis.

Was I the only one expecting the post following this to be "jovial" and light-hearted? Man, I was all geared up for some laughs too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
All this just because you needed to get some geekgold before you could let someone read your post.

Listen, do you want some Geekgold? You could ask for some Geekgold, lots of users would gladly give you some Geekgold, but throwing a little tantrum isn't the way of doing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmithprimus wrote:
It is disappointing that folks are mocking this post...I wrote up a session report/review years ago for my first try at a submission to bgg and was torn apart similarity.

Did you write a half page post about how great you are at English, and incorrectly blaming the mods for the omission?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

I dunno, maybe someone else can help?

I think you're projecting and the word that will come to mind when y'all look in the mirror is:
d-i-c-k
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Which, along with this thread full of pissant and puerile whinging, proves my contention that the too large majority of people here are exactly as stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGamesOwn wrote:

I'm spot on

If you do say so yourself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, how did this end up in Recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmb
BoardGamesOwn wrote:
Not so much disappointing but the replies 100% PROVE my point about the denizens off BGG.
Read my OP and read the thread.
I'm spot on and these pedantic, churlish 'club members' are whinging.

Spot on. And now it seems, you are one of us. Welcome BGG Denizen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
you are one of us. Welcome BGG Denizen.

One of us
One of us
One of us
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmithprimus wrote:
It is disappointing that folks are mocking this post...I wrote up a session report/review years ago for my first try at a submission to bgg and was torn apart similarity. Haven't bothered writing anything for the site since. Not really a welcoming crew back then as no one really offered suggestions, just criticisms.

Not so much disappointing but the replies 100% PROVE my point about the denizens off BGG.
Read my OP and read the thread.
I'm spot on and these pedantic, churlish 'club members' are whinging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGamesOwn wrote:
skutsch wrote:

I dunno, maybe someone else can help?

I think you're projecting and the word that will come to mind when y'all look in the mirror is:
d-i-c-k

Dude, you list your name as "Ima Dork" and yet expect people to take you seriously.

FYI, when I look in the mirror the word that comes to mind is P-O-L-L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Information Aspect Here Is GREAT But The Site Mods & Too Many Users SERIOUSLY Need
Listen, stop posting for a little bit and go on Geekmod. Look at how it works. You either vote to accept something or vote to deny it. If you vote to deny, you choose reasons from a weird little check off list that rarely adequately describes the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joetaco wrote:
All this just because you needed to get some geekgold before you could let someone read your post.

Listen, do you want some Geekgold? You could ask for some Geekgold, lots of users would gladly give you some Geekgold, but throwing a little tantrum isn't the way of doing it.

No pissant. But that condescension and derision is EXACTLY what I explained is the problem with the thin skin of the BGG clique.
I was trying to have some phun but y'all petulant tweens are intent on sucking the soul and fun out of the site, if not the hobby to a lesser degree.
Nicely Done!

PS: Stating a VALID observation based on my experience and what I've seen on the boards and heard from sofa king many others?
DEF not a 'tantrum'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:
BoardGamesOwn wrote:

Was I the only one expecting the post following this to be "jovial" and light-hearted? Man, I was all geared up for some laughs too.

I tried that on a post for SCYTHE and was met with the same uptight, humourless, didactic hand wringing and fun sukking BGG brigade.
A few others, the minority I spoke of in this OP, also noted and commented on same.
Check that one out. A few who aren't so deathly serious about fun got a laugh.
(There were of course the same sort of sniping kiddies we find here)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
Also, why didn't you just post it as a thread instead of marking that 'this is a good post' button?

That's what I've always done but I thought this was worth a shot.
You seem to be suggesting what I found out:
That the BGG clique is an impenetrable and didactic bunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
I always figured submissions for GG should only be directly applicable things like reviews or session reports. What you seem to have posted was a "look what I made" article. In that regard, then it really isn't widely applicable to the game itself, and instead you can simply post it as a "look what I made" article for no GG consideration, and it'll go right through -- no GeekMod required.

Some clarification WOULD be a great idea but as with much of this site: That's yet another oversite by those in charge of upkeep and design.
I often find threads here full of people who are flummoxed trying to do (what should be) the simplest things wrt to posting or navigating

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
Asmithprimus wrote:
It is disappointing that folks are mocking this post...I wrote up a session report/review years ago for my first try at a submission to bgg and was torn apart similarity.

Did you write a half page post about how great you are at English, and incorrectly blaming the mods for the omission?

Were you mocking my writing skills or the other adult, whom you quoted, in the room that had the audacity to agree with my OP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.