Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
120 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: why some people show off their games during a simple board game video review ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
frida lavassani
Azerbaijan
msg tools
mb
In the world that we live many of us just managed to get through the challenges mainly financial so purchasing board games are not easy when we have to budget on other things.

Even when you do purchase the game, you will notice you have limited time to play the game or find it difficult to get bunch of people together to have a game session.

I enjoy BGG site, I read many topics of game sessions, game reviews.
It takes the stress and challenges of the day during the time I spend here reading posts.

The one thing it makes me puzzled is why some board game reviewers give a game review (Video review ) and show off their library of games in the background.

Is it to make people think that they are rich ? They can and the rest of us cant ?
Is it perhaps they want to make everyone think that they are masters of every game on the shelf ?

Could they just not review that particular game without showing off ?

Is this a turn off for you watching video game reviews ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Pavone
United States
Saugerties
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's so you, the viewer, knows they are very serious gamers indeed and that you should take them very seriously.

Or it could just be a wall of games makes for a nice background in a video about gaming.

Or it could be because they are shooting the video at a game store and you're seeing the public library of games that are often available to play at game stores. Stores devoted to gaming with a public library are pretty common in the USA. I'm assuming you're watching videos made in the USA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense they would shoot in their games room - which probably has shelves of board games (like a lot of board game rooms).

I dont think its anything more sinister than that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Moon wrote:
Even when you do purchase the game, you will notice you have limited time to play the game or find it difficult to get bunch of people together to have a game session.

What does this have to do with the video reviews?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Moon wrote:
In the world that we live many of us just managed to get through the challenges mainly financial so purchasing board games are not easy when we have to budget on other things.

It takes the stress and challenges of the day during the time I spend here reading posts.

The one thing it makes me puzzled is why some board game reviewers give a game review (Video review ) and show off their library of games in the background.

Is it to make people think that they are rich ? They can and the rest of us cant ?
Is it perhaps they want to make everyone think that they are masters of every game on the shelf ?

Yes or No. Really depends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually enjoy it because I look for games I own or recognize.

Who wants to just stare at the guy, or gal, talking before they start showing you the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Marion
Canada
Surrey
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I prefer a background showing board games than a blank wall or someone's living room.
I saw another post about reviewers using their game shelf as a back drop and was surprised that people care.
I watch videos for cycling component reviews and have never said to myself "why do they always shoot these in a bike shop? Why don't they find a nice board game store to film it in."
Not trying to be cheeky to your post I just think it's an odd concern to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If nothing else, it lets you assess what sorts of games the reviewer is into...

...plus it's a lot more interesting than your bare wall.

Pete (thinks that's worth something)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think anyone is doing it to show off and make you "feel bad" I heard at one point the average BGG user has about 100 games. That is more than enough to fill a shelf behind a person for a video. Personally, I think it is the best background you can have. What would be better?

I imagine it probably is somewhat influenced by Tom Vassal since he is one of the most popular and long time reviewers and he tapes in front of his wall of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Moon wrote:

I typically hold videoconferences with stacks of money behind me, but sometimes I replace it with my massive wine collection, or my scotch collection, or my car collection, or my gold collection.

Really depends on my mood and what works well with the clothes I'm wearing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspiration?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's really stupid too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
...I think there is art happening behind me in the "reviewy" portions of our videos. The wall behind me is where my wife's "ladies" are, old artsy pictures of Korean women if I remember correctly. To be honest I've never given it a great deal of thought, the layout of the room makes using that wall conducive to filming. Maybe I should put the bunny houses behind me? Might help keep people entertained...

Bunnies aren't a sign of excessive wealth/affluence are they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Convenience. Filming is a hobby activity and will tend to take place in the parts of the house directed towards hobbies. Game shelves, a table and good lighting also tend to be in those hobby areas, making it even better for filming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never understood the complaints about it. Where else would especially someone doing it casually do it? If I wanted to film something like this I would pretty much have 4 choices in my apartment when it comes to space: in front of the game shelf, in front of the DVD shelf, in the kitchen or sitting on the toilet in the bathroom. Game shelf seems to be simply the most obvious one there.

Of course if you put way more time, setup etc. in it and manage to solve the sound/lighting difficulties, filming on a fitting location could be great (I guess Shut up and sit down does it sometimes). A review about Sagrada from standing in front of it in Barcelona would be interesting for sure or one of Captain Sonar in a submarine. But I doubt this would be doable for most reviewers.
Otherwise, studios are expensive and I personally am very glad that self-made green screens are not more of a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Moon wrote:

They're not showing off their games; they're just a backdrop. These people are showing off their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you are jealous, therefore they must be the problem? As above, it is lively where they game, well lit, it all makes sense. I too find myself looking through the titles to see what's about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually prefer it that way. It's helpful for me to know what kind of games they have so I can see if their tastes correspond to my own. And as others have said, what else should they have?

I will mention that the best backdrop of any board game reviewer is Man vs meeple IMO, because they have a studio with images of the game and some nice posters. But not everyone can have a studio. I also really enjoy SU&SD's style where they sometimes film outside and don't just stand still in front of a camera.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's to cover the damp on the walls, filthy windows, etc. caused by excessive gameplay.

I do like having a nose at what games they have!

A minor thing, it does serve to make me think they have some experience and have played a fair few games, though of course, once you know the reviewer, that is minor.

I like that Rahdo did some videos on all the games in his collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a game related backdrop that doesn't require the reviewer to go out and buy and/or make something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who just started filming a YouTube series shot prominently in front of a wall of games, I just want to thank everyone for the slew of rational responses to this post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
It's something that i don't like too.

The "wall 'o games" in the background, i just find distracting.
There's so much stuff and with so many colors and shapes, it attracts your view. During these videos, i keep looking at the wall... and not at the person actually presenting his review which should be the focus of attention.

Those very few videos that DON'T use the wall 'o games are also generally considered some of the best. Rodney Smith is able to get more of your attention and explain the games better in part BECAUSE you are not constantly distracted by the background.

Chaz Marler (from Pair of Dice Paradise), has also much more interesting blogs because he uses a simple blue and white background. You focus your attention on what he has to say. Not on his gaming collection.

Having a custom background for shooting also goes a long way into making your video looks professional. The Dice Tower crew keeps doing videos that look amateurish, despite the fact that they probably are the crew that has the most experience. In Tom's recent top 100, he used outdoor locations at his local Zoo to shoot. These videos incidently looked much more professional than those made in his "studio" with the wall 'o games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the wall of games. I think it is more awkward to just watch someone talking into the camera in their random kitchen or living room. The wall of games seems a logical context to me.

It also isn't as distracting to me as "man on the street" things. I don't like, for example, when Tom is out at the zoo, Niagara Falls or on his street. I always pay attention to what is going on in the background, like the different cars going down his street or his neighbor taking out his trash.

So, I'm all for the wall of games.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Rodney Smith is able to get more of your attention and explain the games better in part BECAUSE you are not constantly distracted by the background.

He has his games behind him, doesn't he? At least, I know I've seen it in some videos.

Different strokes, I guess.

I get freaked out when he does Final Thoughts with the close up of his face. I'd rather he was in front of his games.

(And as I said, I can't stand "Tom at the zoo" videos. I saw a recent one with Jason that just looked stilted. I'd rather they just sat at the table in front of their games and told me what they think.)

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Street cred, obviously

Also the many things folks have pointed out.

Never occured to me that this could borther me, but I guess I will have to reconsider after this post ;p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.