Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Fazio
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Cheers, all!

I have a game of "Cycle of Eternity" nearing the endpoint but we're stuck on a question that's going to be critical to outcome, and that we can't seem to figure out a fair answer to. I've searched the rules forum and haven't found any questions on the topic. Any guidance would be appreciated.

THE SITUATION: There is a shoggoth immediately outside the door to the "Master Bedroom," and the app just told us to move this shoggoth "2 spaces toward the master bedroom." Which of the following should I perform:

A) Move the shoggoth 2 spaces, first into the master bedroom and then deeper into the master bedroom.
B) Move the shoggoth 1 space, at which point it is in the master bedroom and so can't move any closer "toward the master bedroom."
C) Move the shoggoth 0 spaces. It can't go any closer "toward the master bedroom" without actually entering, which the app did not instruct.

Finally, should it matter at all for this question if there happens to be an investigator in one or the other space of the master bedroom? (There is; my poor, insane, wounded, item-less investigator is huddled for his life in the back corner of the master bedroom.) soblue

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy Outlaw wrote:
THE SITUATION: There is a shoggoth immediately outside the door to the "Master Bedroom," and the app just told us to move this shoggoth "2 spaces toward the master bedroom." Which of the following should I perform:

A) Move the shoggoth 2 spaces, first into the master bedroom and then deeper into the master bedroom.
B) Move the shoggoth 1 space, at which point it is in the master bedroom and so can't move any closer "toward the master bedroom."
C) Move the shoggoth 0 spaces. It can't go any closer "toward the master bedroom" without actually entering, which the app did not instruct.

Finally, should it matter at all for this question if there happens to be an investigator in one or the other space of the master bedroom? (There is; my poor, insane, wounded, item-less investigator is huddled for his life in the back corner of the master bedroom.) :soblue:

B and No. "Toward" is defined in the rules reference as every space of movement reducing the distance. After moving the monster 1 space, the distance between it and the Master Bedroom is 0, so it can't be reduced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fully agreed. The monster follows its instruction with the priority indicated in the app, and ignores anything not listed in that priority (e.g., investigators)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Fazio
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Oh, right! The important question is about the definition of "toward," isn't it? That makes sense--and I think it will give us a chance to win too.

We'll run it like that, GregF. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogalski
United States
Charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I think I have been doing this wrong in the innsmouth scenario. I keep moving the mob two spaces toward and into the tile instructed. Once it enters the tile it's moving toward I guess the mob should stop?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rman wrote:
I think I have been doing this wrong in the innsmouth scenario. I keep moving the mob two spaces toward and into the tile instructed. Once it enters the tile it's moving toward I guess the mob should stop?

Yes, indeed it should stop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
rman wrote:

Just to be clear here. Very often a tile is made up of more than one room, the instructions tell you to move to a room, not a tile.

So just because the mob reaches the tile that a room might be located on, it doesn't always mean the mob should stop moving.

You keep moving the mob until it reaches the room it was instructed to move to.

Page 15 of the RR wrote:
Room
A room is a group of spaces separated from other rooms by walls,
doors, yellow borders, yellow impassable borders, or the edges of
map tiles.
* Each room has a single name that refers to the spaces in the room
as a group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
rman wrote:

I don't remember the specific reasoning, but I think the game designers messed up on Innsmouth. I'm pretty sure they imagined the mob always moving 2, based on things like the mob throwing things through doors. It only can if it moves 2 every turn. (And doesn't take the shortcut on the dock corner.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Y
msg tools
Slight nitpick. I try to evaluate each possibility and, in the event of a tie, let the investigators pick between valid options.

Here, the Shoggoth must move up to 2 spaces toward a specific room. The first move will take it into the room, reducing its distance to the room from 1 to 0.

Now, whether it's in the first or second space, the distance will still be 0. The Shoggoth could end its turn in either space, because both leave it at the minimum possible distance to the room (0).

It will probably still use a "within range" attack to harm you, but giving players the option means you might avoid having to do an unnecessary Evade check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That violates the following rule, Veggiesama:

RRG - Toward wrote:
Whenever a component moves toward another component or space,
each space it moves must reduce the distance to its destination.

Your final movement is going from 0 to 0. This step is not reducing the distance to the destination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Fazio
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
This sure clarified a lot for me. Jorgen Peddersen, that quote about "must reduce the distance" is very helpful. Is it from the rulebook? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy Outlaw wrote:
This sure clarified a lot for me. Jorgen Peddersen, that quote about "must reduce the distance" is very helpful. Is it from the rulebook? Thanks.

Yes. Note that I put the section name in the quote box. RRG stands for Rules Reference Guide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Fazio
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Got it. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.