Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up in a previous thread but was never answered: What happens if you run out of enmity stickers for a given province? We're going into Game 6 and one player has already used 28 stickers and has only 14 left.

I'm assuming we just use a proxy or create our own stickers? (I had the foresight to scan the sticker sheet a couple games back)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger Man
Scotland
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
Wow that sounds like a lot of raiding! Your solution seems logical

Still don't have my PHG preorder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow! How many open slots are there for this guy to even sticker?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6 per island and province, means he could easily place that many stickers. Not to mention if someone overrides him, freeing a space back up. That's actually not even that many raids when you consider raiding players can place multiple enmity at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those curious, he has 6-3-1 enmity across the three other players' provinces, 4-4-3-2-1-1-1-0-0 enmity across islands, and has removed 2 permanent enmity after games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We start play this coming Sunday but having read a previous thread on this, I made a colored copy of all of the Enmity stickers just in case.

The copies would have to be glued or something, but it would be better than not having any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hauge
United States
flag msg tools
Playing and reviewing the BGG Top 100
mbmbmbmb
This is an interesting question. The rule book does not appear to address it directly, but it does have the following guidance in the "determine enmity" section:

Quote:
If all six enmity stickers in a region are yours and you need to add more, instead lose 1 glory for each enmity sticker you can’t place (even if provinces drop below the glory target for the game, the game is still over).

Would be good to get a ruling from Rob or JR, though in the case you've outlined above, it sounds like the player may already be in too deep to attempt to shift strategies at this point and you may just have to house rule it for him (as much as I'm not a proponent of that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously there's not a limit on enmity stickers. Some of them tore and we just threw them away, it never occurred to anyone that we have to keep track for the whole campaign of exactly how many there are on the sheet. Use your Sharpie, or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hauge
United States
flag msg tools
Playing and reviewing the BGG Top 100
mbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Obviously there's not a limit on enmity stickers. Some of them tore and we just threw them away, it never occurred to anyone that we have to keep track for the whole campaign of exactly how many there are on the sheet. Use your Sharpie, or something.

Not sure I agree that there's obviously not a limit. From a competitive balancing standpoint, there doesn't appear to be a reason to impose such a penalty (though I've only played the prologue so far). However, the designers have elsewhere mentioned their intention to limit 'how much of a jerk one player can be' (paraphrasing) with enmity, through having a set number of enmity tokens available to spend in a given game. In line with that, I could see them intending to set a cap on the total amount of enmity that can be spent over the course of a campaign.

Most likely of all is just that the designers did not foresee anyone using more enmity stickers than what was provided, since they didn't directly address it either way in the rulebook. Nonetheless, they may wish to weigh in on how an outlier scenario such as the one described by the OP should be handled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drewhauge wrote:
Not sure I agree that there's obviously not a limit.

It's only obvious to me because I assume that with lots of little stickers like this some of them are going to get ruined or damaged, and people will naturally toss those away. So if the designers wanted players to be extra careful to keep track of exactly the right number, they would say so. Otherwise there are going to be a lot of groups like mine where some of them probably got discarded and no one knows exactly how many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I wondered this as well. If you end the game without extra Rep/Luck to roll to remove your tokens, you could end up placing A LOT of stickers per game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Yeager
United States
Hagerstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, I think an official ruling on this is important. I'm kinda surprised there wasn't a ruling last time it was brought up.

Also, good to know that the scenario wasn't just hypothetical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stack
msg tools
mb
You lose 1 glory for each enmity sticker you can't place. This seems to explicitly imply there is a limit, otherwise how could you ever not place an enmity sticker when needed if there was no limit.

To the OP, if your friend runs out, he is going to start losing glory at the end of every game once he runs out if he keeps raiding at that level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tjstack wrote:
You lose 1 glory for each enmity sticker you can't place. This seems to explicitly imply there is a limit, otherwise how could you ever not place an enmity sticker when needed if there was no limit.

There is absolutely a limit to how many stickers may be placed at any specific location.

I do not think there is supposed a limit on how many stickers total you may place over the course of a campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Howard
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tjstack wrote:

Because all 6 boxes in the province already have your sticker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Alan Sayers
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tjstack wrote:

To the OP, if your friend runs out, he is going to start losing glory at the end of every game once he runs out if he keeps raiding at that level.

I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that if you already had, say, five enmity stickers on an island and had to put two more, you'd put one and then lose a glory for the other one since you can't (I think?) sticker over your own stickers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jadusty wrote:
I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that if you already had, say, five enmity stickers on an island and had to put two more, you'd put one and then lose a glory for the other one since you can't (I think?) sticker over your own stickers.

You are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Slyght wrote:
For those curious, he has 6-3-1 enmity across the three other players' provinces, 4-4-3-2-1-1-1-0-0 enmity across islands, and has removed 2 permanent enmity after games.

But how is he doing in the campaign?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
Slyght wrote:

But how is he doing in the campaign?

He's the Prince. For those curious, here's the breakdown of scores/playstyles:

Prince - 59 points - Raiding/exploring focused
Duke - 55 points - A little of everything
Lord - 51 points - Building/trading focused
Baron - 50 points - Exploring focused
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good on him for keeping the peasants in line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are on game 10 and without spoilers, you will need a lot more enmity stickers. You'll see why later...

We are finally running low and I have no idea what to do because we will need them... Why aren't there more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
Why aren't there more?

Because the game was not playtested?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
soakman wrote:
Why aren't there more?

Because the game was not playtested?

I'm honestly starting to find a lot of problems with this game. Awesome concept, but pretty bad execution. Particularly the rulebook and sticker sheets (mostly because of enmity stickers)... Typos also abound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
I'm honestly starting to find a lot of problems with this game. Awesome concept, but pretty bad execution.

+1. Also, the lack of post-publication support is way below expected norms. Why isn't there an official FAQ dealing with obvious questions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
soakman wrote:
I'm honestly starting to find a lot of problems with this game. Awesome concept, but pretty bad execution.

+1. Also, the lack of post-publication support is way below expected norms. Why isn't there an official FAQ dealing with obvious questions?

My players can be a bit tempestuous, and the lack of support has honestly led some of them to question whether we're having enough fun to justify the arguments. My brother has already decided that nobody having played the game would ever buy it logically, but there is a kernel of something there that he can't help but recommend.

It's...frustrating...to say the least. But I want to see it through. I would have likely passed on the game if I had known it was going to be like this though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.