Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my friends and I were having a blast playing the game against each other. One of my friends then started playing the solo version, and from that, we decided to try a full co-op version from the solo version rules. For us, we had 3 people.

Objective is to get to (number of players x 25) points before (number of players x 3, minus 1) event cards run out. Of course, you can vary these numbers to set your difficulty.
- Start the game with 1 terror in each deck.
- Players can't share objectives, but they can show them to the other players.
- Players can't discard gold to from their hand to help another player, like the team-vs-team variant.
- Only 1 royal mission card can be in effect at once.

We were 1 point short of winning, but it was interesting because we could talk out who was going to kill which monsters to fulfill objectives, and who was going to take which cards to form a certain play style deck. It was also neat to throw in cards that gave cards to other players, and events and invaders that say "pick a player, both gain a terror" or etc. were particularly painful.

Anyways, I think it just came to show that the game is actually really versatile. It also made us feel like we were three different armies fighting a legion of monsters before we were "overrun with terror", adding to the theme. And of course, if anyone has other ideas to make this work a little better, let's discuss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually surprised there isn't an official co-op variation, considering the game already has solo and team mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you still roll the starting terror die for this co-op variant? I've noticed you've mentioned that everyone gets at terror card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We rolled the terror dice as if everyone were playing the solo game by themselves. So anything that says "all players" or "choose another player to gain a terror" or etc. wouldn't give more terrors to others since in a solo game, the only one that would gain a terror is yourself.

Essentially, everyone will start with just one terror, with the potential for a treasure or fortune card. Which felt okay, since if we had any more terrors, I think the event timer would run up too fast. X.x

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carly- BoardGeekGirl
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a really cool idea... I didn't even read the solo rules as I never really game solo, but I'm definitely going to try this co-op. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Jeffrey Lai
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Isaiah 53:5
badge
I'm not a real person. Just a cartoon character.
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a great variant! Thanks Ryan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.