Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Abstract Games» Forums » General

Subject: Maximum Kill Chess rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Maximum Kill Chess
by Guy T. Schafer

Regular chess pieces set up in their regular locations on a regular chess board. Pieces move as normal. However, each piece is set on a checker.

Each piece may take a maximum of only 2 pieces. Upon taking its second piece, the capturing piece is removed from the board along with the captured piece.

Each piece is on a checker base which moves (and is captured) with the piece. The checker serves as a counter. When capturing its first piece, the checker base is removed. A piece without a checker will be mutually destroyed in the next (its 2nd) capture.

This means a king with no checker cannot capture to evade check.


Other variations:

+ Checkers making up the base can be stacked to tweak the Maximum Kill Number (MK#).

+ Different pieces can have different MK#, e.g., pawns have MK#=1 (no checkers) while all other pieces have MK#=2.

It does seem games are much less affected by MK# greater than 2. At MK=2, the game has a much different feel than chess while MK=3 is very chess-like.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Moxham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mb
professorguy wrote:

Maximum Kill Chess
by Guy T. Schafer

Regular chess pieces set up in their regular locations on a regular chess board. Pieces move as normal. However, each piece is set on a checker.

Each piece may take a maximum of only 2 pieces. Upon taking its second piece, the capturing piece is removed from the board along with the captured piece.

Each piece is on a checker base which moves (and is captured) with the piece. The checker serves as a counter. When capturing its first piece, the checker base is removed. A piece without a checker will be mutually destroyed in the next (its 2nd) capture.

This means a king with no checker cannot capture to evade check.


Other variations:

+ Checkers making up the base can be stacked to tweak the Maximum Kill Number (MK#).

+ Different pieces can have different MK#, e.g., pawns have MK#=1 (no checkers) while all other pieces have MK#=2.

It does seem games are much less affected by MK# greater than 2. At MK=2, the game has a much different feel than chess while MK=3 is very chess-like.


No opinion on how this actually plays, but just an inconsequential reflection. When I first read the threadline, I was expecting carnage - i.e. a game where killing was maximised. In fact, of course, the point of the very same key word is that it's limited. Funny old stuff, language...

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
mocko wrote:
No opinion on how this actually plays, but just an inconsequential reflection. When I first read the threadline, I was expecting carnage - i.e. a game where killing was maximised. In fact, of course, the point of the very same key word is that it's limited. Funny old stuff, language...

Ha, I had the same reaction/confusion about the title!

FWIW the idea of the game is interesting. I like that as the number of allowed kills increases, the game gradually becomes normal chess. (Once the number of allowed kills = 16, then it IS normal chess.) It's like a slider bar you can adjust to make the game less or more like normal chess!


It makes me ponder what other similar ways could be used to quantitatively limit pieces in a familiar game like chess, such that the quantity can be moved up or down to make the game more or less like the original. (E.g. a distance limit on the moves of flying pieces (rook, bishop, queen)...?)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See also Wayne Hughes's "Missile Chess" (1981 original, 2015 reprint):

http://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2015/02/24/missile_...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

wow. this idea solves a problem that I've faced in a whole bunch of times. Love it, and will use it or something like it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main difference between the OP's game and that of Hughes is what happens to the pieces when they are used up: in the OP's game they vanish, whereas in Hughes's game they sit inertly in their squares and block movement/check.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Re: Maximum Kill Chess-"Like"
Why. you could even PLAY "Feudal" with "make one move/piece" per TURN instead, or "PLOY" has "two moves/pieces" per TURN-(move 2 separate ones). Oh, "Conquest" with 25-30 "aggregate moves"! 10-15? surprise
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
(Once the number of allowed kills = 16, then it IS normal chess.)


I was going to say that this should be 15, as you cannot capture the King. However, 16 is actually correct. If it were 15, a piece that captured everything but the King would then vanish and be unable to check the King in the future.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
milomilo122 wrote:

wow. this idea solves a problem that I've faced in a whole bunch of times.


Specifically ... ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess where the pieces get into slap fights then go home in a huff.

mocko wrote:
I was expecting carnage - i.e. a game where killing was maximised. In fact, of course, the point of the very same key word is that it's limited. Funny old stuff, language...

It's not a simple misunderstanding, I'll admit. I knew that a game called "Chess with Fragile Pieces" would get many fewer views than one called "Blood and Chainsaws Chess"

Hence the name "Limited Kill Chess" was rejected in favor of the more spectacular name.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.