Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In every instance I have found in the rules, it is specified that the Magnate Action tiles may be used during your turn in the Actions Phase. On the other hand, for the Wine Experts, every instance in the rules of using their abilities mentions them being used "during your turn" with no mention of the Actions Phase.

My question is what exactly is meant by the phrase "during your turn" regarding the use of the Wine Experts. Specifically, if I have a face-up Wine Expert that allows me to add 1 renown cube to a region, am I permitted to use this expert during the free action press release at the beginning of the fair?

What about using the expert that lets you retrieve barrels during the acquisition of the Magnate Multiplier tiles at the end of the fair?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Joakley815 wrote:
In every instance I have found in the rules, it is specified that the Magnate Action tiles may be used during your turn in the Actions Phase. On the other hand, for the Wine Experts, every instance in the rules of using their abilities mentions them being used "during your turn" with no mention of the Actions Phase.

My question is what exactly is meant by the phrase "during your turn" regarding the use of the Wine Experts. Specifically, if I have a face-up Wine Expert that allows me to add 1 renown cube to a region, am I permitted to use this expert during the free action press release at the beginning of the fair?

What about using the expert that lets you retrieve barrels during the acquisition of the Magnate Multiplier tiles at the end of the fair?

My guess is they are intended to both mean on your turn, before or after an action. (Not during the free press release action)

But I'm sure an official answer will turn up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, hopefully: 2016 - Lisboa, 2017 - A Colony in Mars, 201? - Escape plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael is correct. Always during the Actions phase. Not during the fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification.

Another question -- Can wine expert abilities be used to enhance the action of a magnate action tile? For example, if I have a wine expert that allows me to buy vineyards at a discount of 1 bago and the magnate tile that allows me to buy a vineyard (also at a discount of 1 bago), can I use both of these tiles to buy a single vineyard for a discount of 2 bagos?

I assume that the answer is that they cannot be combined in this way, but I thought it was worth asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, hopefully: 2016 - Lisboa, 2017 - A Colony in Mars, 201? - Escape plan
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is: You can. Why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have my copy of the reference sheet with me, but in looking at files uploaded to BGG, the Wine Expert seems to indicate that it works DURING a Vineyard action. And i wouldn't interpret the Magnate tile usage as a "Vineyard action" per se. That's why i personally would have guessed you couldn't use them both at the same time.

Glad to have the clarification, as always Vital, it's so great to have you here answering questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newrev wrote:

I am certain that you answered this question differently in the 1st version of the game regarding experts and Magnate actions.

So in 2016 you can use expert tiles and magnate tiles together? Good to know.

-Kyle

Edit: See this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/5897262#5897262

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One_Wolf wrote:

I am certain that you answered this question differently in the 1st version of the game regarding experts and Magnate actions.

So in 2016 you can use expert tiles and magnate tiles together? Good to know.

Yes, 2010 and 2016 play differently. Not allowing combos may be because in 2010 you can use as many experts as you want during your turn, but in 2016 you are limited to using one per turn. So perhaps that is one reason to allow a little more flexibility with their abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newrev wrote:

So a wine expert can be part of an action (interrupting it, effectively), unlike a magnate tile which is an action in and of itself and cannot interrupt?

But, here it was:

Quote:
You cannot interrupt any action. You need to complete it first.
So you make your selling, and then use the expert to take the barrel, or you use the expert to take the barrel and then use it to sell.

So how come the vineyard expert can interrupt the magnate tile action, but the barrel expert can't pull it back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably are mixing things. Some experts are additions or improvements to the action. For instance: Some increase the price of a sale, or improve the points during exportation. You are using them to improve the action, not interrupting it.

But, to take a barrel from a sales space is not part of the selling action or an improvement of the same. It only happens in the same space.
You are interupting the main action to take the barrel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newrev wrote:
You probably are mixing things. Some experts are additions or improvements to the action. For instance: Some increase the price of a sale, or improve the points during exportation. You are using them to improve the action, not interrupting it.

But, to take a barrel from a sales space is not part of the selling action or an improvement of the same. It only happens in the same space.
You are interupting the main action to take the barrel.

Thanks a lot Vital, you a probably correct, I assumed they all work the same (and never read descriptions unless I didn't understand the picture).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.