Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little random, but I wanted to get some input on which environments you think are the most fun. That's really broad and up to interpretation, but I guess I want to see what some of you feel strike the right balance between interactive and challenging. For example, rook city can feel really brutal while the time cataclysm seems a bit easier to navigate but as a few less twists and turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Runnin' down the avenue,(Pant, Pant, Pant) See how the sun shines brightly In the city on the streets Where once was pity, Mr. Blue Sky is living here today.
badge
Mr. Blue you did it right, But soon comes Mr. Night, Creepin' over, now his Hand is on your shoulder, Never mind I'll remember you this way.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nayr090 wrote:
A little random, but I wanted to get some input on which environments you think are the most fun. That's really broad and up to interpretation, but I guess I want to see what some of you feel strike the right balance between interactive and challenging. For example, rook city can feel really brutal while the time cataclysm seems a bit easier to navigate but as a few less twists and turns.
NO question for me, Enclave of the Endlings. But that is not because of its gameplay (which I love), its because it perfectly channels all of my favorite old Jack Kirby stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno, I think the Time Cataclysm is the most fun. It's kind of a mixed bag of the other environments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Fun is difficult to pin down here is a link which shows the environment difficulties but just because an environment is easy/hard doesn't mean its not also fun.

http://x.gray.org/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-difficulty-sco...

Take the Final wasteland. It might be easy but abusing "Unforgiving wasteland" against villains who rely heavily on targets like La Capitan and Matriarch is loads of fun. For example here's a recent picture from a game I've dubbed "The Lonely Chairma," It was loads of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam vanLangenberg
Australia
Cheltenham
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
Nayr090 wrote:
NO question for me, Enclave of the Endlings. But that is not because of its gameplay (which I love), its because it perfectly channels all of my favorite old Jack Kirby stuff.

That was the correct answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha thanks guys, I know it's really subjective. I just haven't gotten to playing every single environment, so I'm seeing where to go next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Realm of Discord is my favorite. It's the one that changes up the game the most so it really feels like some other magical dimension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I really like Atlantis. The extra card plays all over the place make things feel like sparks of ancient power are supercharging everything, and the difficulty means it's a great place to face some of Sentinels' weaker villains, who otherwise can be a bit of a pushover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always have fun in Silver Gulch, especially when you've got the Sheriff on your side, mowing down bad guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think any environment is "fun."

Some are thematic and some are clever.

A few are interesting to play.

But I would not call them fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stull
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Silver Gulch is fun to play in and the theme music from the video game makes it even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While none of them are "fun" per say, I find myself playing in this the most simply because I enjoy them/like the feel of them:

In no particular order

Celestial Tribunal- It is interesting, and adding an extra hero to the game, albeit with only 10 HP and their basic card, adds an interesting twist and some fun options! I usually drag in Omnitron X for extra card play.

I like both the Block and the Time Cataclysm from Shattered Timelines. They are both fun and add some interesting extra elements to the game with prisoners escaping in the Block/agents chasing them (or you) and the Time Cataclysm has some fun call backs to the other environments in the game.

Silver Gulch- who DOESN'T like the Wild West shoot out? It's great, especially with the cover cards protecting the cards in the deck

Dok'Thorath Capital- A raging rebellion, cards that can help (or really hurt) you, and interesting cards. The fight between the freedom fighters/government soldiers/genetic mutants is really interesting, though it can REALLY hurt everyone in the game.

These are the ones I find the most interesting. The ones I usually don't ever use is the Mobile Defense Platform (it is boring to me. Nothing takes damage and they mostly just ding you for damage) from Vengeance. The rest get cycled through pretty regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I think Dok'Thorath has been the most fun/interesting with the different twist it puts on the battle. Madame Mittermeier's I also like--it's just brutal and makes life more difficult, which is fun in a way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Silver Gulch for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
greylag wrote:
I really like Atlantis. The extra card plays all over the place make things feel like sparks of ancient power are supercharging everything, and the difficulty means it's a great place to face some of Sentinels' weaker villains, who otherwise can be a bit of a pushover.

I wouldn't have thought about that haha making villains harder via the environment. Nice!

Thanks, all! Will get to playing them soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My favorite is hands-down Silver Gulch. The little mini-war between the Sherrif and the Hayes boys makes every game different.

Next is a draw between the Realm of Discord and the Time Cataclysm. Given the broken themes of these two decks, it is remarkable how smoothly they play. Time Cataclysm probably has a slight edge... but I do love me some Time Flies!

Fourth is Pike Industrial. This is not an extremely varied environment, but it provides an ever changing tactical picture to adapt to.

Number five is The Block, for the moments of panic. "Char is back again?"

Six: The Final Wasteland. The high critter count makes some villains perform very differently.

Seven is Enclave of the Endlings... Final Wasteland on steroids!

Atlantis - Tough and unpredictable. "Kraken!!!"

Nine is Insula Primalis, my go-to environment when teaching the game.

Tomb of Anubis has number ten position. The Treasures are a fun mechanic, and this unpredictable environment can dump out an amazing number of cards into play.

It's Dok'Thorath at number eleven. This environment has a lot of elements I enjoy, but somehow doesn't quite shine.

Twelve is Rook City. Because sometimes you want a struggle.

Lucky Thirteen is Celestial Tribunal, with it's game bending summoning powers.

Magmaria captures fourteen with interesting decisions and some surprises.

Fifteen throough seventeen are functional, fun environments, but nothing special.
Court of Blood, Temple of Zhu Long and the target-free MMFFo'CC.

Eighteen is Wagner Mars Base. The Meteor Swarm leads to some odd and unsatisfying interactions, and the deck in general is dull.

Nineteen is for Megaopolis. This deck is all about supressing the heroes' game. Frustration can be challenging, but is not always fun.

Omnitron IV weighs in at Twenty. There are some nice aspects to this deck, but it's a bit frantic and can swallow a group's chances through no fault of their own.

Twenty-one is for Freedom Tower. With its various room rules, it should be fine, but in practice, it is fairly boring.

And at the bottom of the heap... Mobile Defense Platform. There's potential for some drama in this deck, but in practice, I've found it the dullest of all environments. And you know what? It's still not bad. I'll play it anytime it comes up.

In summary, the Environments all have their points of interest, and none of them are really bad... but some stand out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:

My favorite is hands-down Silver Gulch. The little mini-war between the Sherrif and the Hayes boys makes every game different.

Next is a draw between the Realm of Discord and the Time Cataclysm. Given the broken themes of these two decks, it is remarkable how smoothly they play. Time Cataclysm probably has a slight edge... but I do love me some Time Flies!

Fourth is Pike Industrial. This is not an extremely varied environment, but it provides an ever changing tactical picture to adapt to.

Six: The Final Wasteland. The high critter count makes some villains perform very differently.

Seven is Enclave of the Endlings... Final Wasteland on steroids!

Atlantis - Tough and unpredictable. "Kraken!!!"

Nine is Insula Primalis, my go-to environment when teaching the game.

Tomb of Anubis has number ten position. The Treasures are a fun mechanic, and this unpredictable environment can dump out an amazing number of cards into play.

It's Dok'Thorath at number eleven. This environment has a lot of elements I enjoy, but somehow doesn't quite shine.

Twelve is Rook City. Because sometimes you want a struggle.

Lucky Thirteen is Celestial Tribunal, with it's game bending summoning powers.

Magmaria captures fourteen with interesting decisions and some surprises.

Fifteen throough seventeen are functional, fun environments, but nothing special.
Court of Blood, Temple of Zhu Long and the target-free MMFFo'CC.

Eighteen is Wagner Mars Base. The Meteor Swarm leads to some odd and unsatisfying interactions, and the deck in general is dull.

Nineteen is for Megaopolis. This deck is all about supressing the heroes' game. Frustration can be challenging, but is not always fun.

Omnitron IV weighs in at Twenty. There are some nice aspects to this deck, but it's a bit frantic and can swallow a group's chances through no fault of their own.

Twenty-one is for Freedom Tower. With its various room rules, it should be fine, but in practice, it is fairly boring.

And at the bottom of the heap... Mobile Defense Platform. There's potential for some drama in this deck, but in practice, I've found it the dullest of all environments. And you know what? It's still not bad. I'll play it anytime it comes up.

In summary, the Environments all have their points of interest, and none of them are really bad... but some stand out.

This actually really helps, very nice! Thanks for the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dislike Rook City -- it kicks up the challenge level more than I'm usually interested in dealing with.

Realm of Discord is fun and interesting because of the wacky effects, BUT I dislike how it tends to take over the game.

I'm surprised by the love that Dok'thorath is getting -- I tend to find it fairly uninteresting. Most of the cards do the same thing -- hit everything for two.

But you asked what we find fun ... I like the treasures in the Tomb of Anubis and find Anubis pretty interesting. The rest is decently interesting as well. Freedom Tower is nice if you want a lower challenge level. Insula Primalis is a classic: Dinosaurs! Volcanoes! I like Final Wasteland because it is LOTS of targets, and I tend to enjoy games where there are lots of targets and I get to do damage to lost of them. (Try Akash'bhuta in the Final Wasteland against a high damage team of heroes, like, say, Legacy, Fixer, Tempest, Ra, and Haka.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Unless you have Skyscraper and she can get both of her Aggression Modulators on him, then it would be the opposite of panic.

Radulla wrote:
Also an extremely useful environment in the app for completely locking down the game (with Haka, preferably Eternal Haka; note: with any villain with Ongoing wipes, you will also need significant deck control, such as Dark Visionary) so that you can more easily unlock things in the app, or just play around more with heroes you aren't as familiar with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.