Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Lange
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules clarification needed please:

It is understood that goods can move from a town with track connected to the town border, even if a town-track tile has not been laid on top of the town. A town must have a town-track tile however, to be considered a connection for other track connection purposes, such as continuing the track on from the town via another ingress or egress edge.

It is also assumed that a town-track tile when placed, receives a marker of the corporation who placed the tile piece, just as a track link is marked when track is placed. This leads to my question, which is based on the following Steam (base game) rules:

Improve: While extending, instead of placing a new tile on an empty hex, you may replace an existing tile (in any player’s link) in order to build (i) a link crossing or (ii) passing next to another link, or (iii) a town-track with more exits. All old links must be preserved.

Redirect: You may rotate or replace the last tile (not town-track tile) of an incomplete link (yours or unowned) in your network. Redirecting does not count as extending. You do not gain ownership of a link by redirecting unless it creates a complete link.

So, In the base game, Steam, any player can replace a town-track tile to improve a town-track tile - creating new ingress/egress track from the town, regardless of who initially placed the town-track tile. In Steam Barons, if a town-track tile is marked by the corporation who initially placed the town-track tile, can another corporation then improve and replace the town-track tile to provide more exits, or does the initial corporation's marker effectively block that town to any improvement by another corporation?

It seems clear that another corporation can replace a standard track tile to build a link crossing or passing next to another track, provided all old links are preserved in the process. Replacing town-track tiles is not as clear to me due to the corporation marker issue.

(Edit - I suppose this question goes away if a corporation marker is not placed on the town center when the town-track tile is placed. Perhaps corporation marked links only exist between towns and cities? In such a case town-track tiles could be improved by any player, creating new exits, just as in the base game of Steam. This seems more likely now upon consideration. I would like confirmation however.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Markers indicate link ownership and never go in the center of city or town tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lange
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:
Markers indicate link ownership and never go in the center of city or town tiles.

Perfect; thank you for the confirmation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
michaelangelo wrote:

It is understood that goods can move from a town with track connected to the town border, even if a town-track tile has not been laid on top of the town. A town must have a town-track tile however, to be considered a connection for other track connection purposes, such as continuing the track on from the town via another ingress or egress edge.

Actually, it is NOT so understood! You should view the town as, literally, that little gray circle. That is, the "border" is the edge of that circle, not the hex side. If there's no track going to that little circle, that town is inaccessable.

michaelangelo wrote:
In Steam Barons, if a town-track tile is marked by the corporation who initially placed the town-track tile, can another corporation then improve and replace the town-track tile to provide more exits, or does the initial corporation's marker effectively block that town to any improvement by another corporation?

The track building rules are unchanged, so yes a different corporation can upgrade a town tile (assuming that new corporation is connected to that town, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
Can you feel the Threat Level rising!?
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
michaelangelo wrote:

Actually, it is NOT so understood! You should view the town as, literally, that little gray circle. That is, the "border" is the edge of that circle, not the hex side. If there's no track going to that little circle, that town is inaccessable.

I feel I have to comment here, because what the OP wrote in the quote above is completely correct. Martin Wallace specifically ruled that in Steam Barons, you can move a cube from a town with track only built up to the edge of the hex. I really dislike the inconsistency of this with the base game rules, but that's how it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bilben04 wrote:
snoozefest wrote:
michaelangelo wrote:

I feel I have to comment here, because what the OP wrote in the quote above is completely correct. Martin Wallace specifically ruled that in Steam Barons, you can move a cube from a town with track only built up to the edge of the hex. I really dislike the inconsistency of this with the base game rules, but that's how it is.

You are right! At least according to that one PM Wallace sent the poster in that other thread! Is there an actual post somewhere from the man himself? Even if it's true, though, I'm with you: that inconsistency is just crazy! Maybe it's just a case of the designer of so many games simply not remembering the details of one particular design (especially when, I think, most maps placing goods in towns are actually designed by other people)? On the other hand, if it is an intentional design choice, it would be better to restate setup:
Place one goods cubes in each town hex, outside the town itself. When moving goods, these cubes may move to any hex edge with track on the edge.
If this really was the intent of the original design, it would have been so much clearer if the town spaces were the entire hex (maybe like a colorless city), instead of just that little picture in the center!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lange
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll likely house rule requiring track placement for town goods with players who are receptive to the idea; it just makes sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.