United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone else found Simon the Unclean to be overpowered (trades in resources at a 2:1 rate for VP)? It seems whenever someone gets him, they go for a massive resource grab (doesn't matter the resource), and score crazy duke points, and win. How have you found to combat this Duke, or do you just exclude him from the lineup?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mário Sousa
Spain
Barcelona (currently)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only played with him once (I don't have a lot of games of Valeria) but I also felt it was overpowered by the same reasons you're talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He has only come up a couple of times for us, but yes, that player just goes full resources. The math just makes most other plays senseless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenz Poh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm.. even more so with the resource glut issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I'm at home where I can compare him to other cards... Yeah, he's got to go. Or get nerfed. That's simple enough. Soldiers go up to 2 VP each. Resource ratio = 3. Now he's in line with everyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaias Vallejo
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard a lot of Dukes be called "overpowered". It really depends on your groups play style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucinda Gunnin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Isaias,

We played last ngiht and found ourselves confused by the wording on the dukes. When you trade resources for VP, would it be (In Simon's case) two gold and two magic and two treasure = 1 VP (Basically, 6 resources per VP) or is it 2 resources per VP?

We weren't actually playing with Simon, but the question can apply to other Dukes with similar wording.

Thanks for the taking the time to clarify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
As with all of dukes, the resources are all added together (coins + strength + magic) and then divided by their resource bonus divider (rounding down). So with Simon you would add up all his resources and divide by 2. Which means every 2 resources he collects and keeps is an automatic end game point. Considering the conversion (paying or fighting) for most Domains and Monsters is less than this, all Simon has to focus on is getting Citizens that convert a resources to many resources and mass produce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.