6 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Deployment near blocking terrain? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reepicheep Catsbane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We came across this situation in our game last night. I'm playing the Imperials and am about to deploy a group of stormtroopers near Fenn. Here is a diagram of the deployment point:

1 2 3
4|X 5
-wall-

The deployment point is at "X" and the "|" symbol represents a solid red edge (blocking terrain) between the deployment point and space "4".

My question is, when I deploy 3 stormtroopers, can I deploy 1 each to spaces 4, X and 5, or would I have to fill up 1,2,3 and 5 before I could deploy to 4?

The reason I ask is that, even though they are elite and have assault armor, Fenn is nearby and has rebel elite, suppressive fire and the underbarrel blast attachment with tactical display. I'm looking at the potential for blast 7 if I don't want the stormy's stunned. Being able to deploy them not all adjacent would be helpful (since 4 is not adjacent to X).

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
4 is not adjacent and everything else is, so everything else would have to be full before you could deploy to 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reepicheep Catsbane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I should have clarified. The rules say "he places all figures from that group in and as close as possible to the location indicated by the campaign guide or deployment zone." What method is used to determine "as close as possible"? My question is, does adjacency count for that, or can they come out in the closest squares? Or, put a different way, do you follow the rules for counting spaces when determining "as close as possible", or do you just place them "as close as possible". Imagine an example where 1,2,3,X and 5 are filled. Can you then deploy to "6" before filling "4"?

6 - - -
- 1 2 3
- 4|X 5

(For reference, I assumed that I could not deploy to 4 for two reasons. 1. I've won every mission so far and don't want to have any semblance of an unfair advantage. And 2. I suspect that you are correct. I just thought I would run it by the collective intelligence of the community here. Long time stalker, but rarely post.)

And, thanks for the response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Cluff

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adjacency counts. But 4 is just as close as 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To answer your question, yes, it is the rules for counting spaces that you should use whenever you are determining distance from a space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reepicheep Catsbane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
To answer your question, yes, it is the rules for counting spaces that you should use whenever you are determining distance from a space.

Yeah, after thinking about it the next day, I realized that this has to be the correct way. Closest = least distance = fewest spaces = problem solved. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.