16 Posts

A Feast for Odin» Forums » Rules

Subject: Whaling ore, flipping special tiles, using cattle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After playing for the first time, I think we did most things right, except I forgot like 4 times that I could have rerolled hunting/whaling attempts, and thus destroyed my chances at winning.

I also discovered some apparent mistakes, like the white action spaces being referred to as dark yellow, or the back page of the appendix having an invalid Greenland board. The German version has the correct example. questions:

1. Page 18 states "When hunting, laying snares, and whaling, reduce the value of your roll by one for each ore (even preprinted ore) on the whaling boat(s) you are using to perform the action (you keep the ore)." This may be a silly question, but whaling boats ONLY improve whaling, right? Despite the wording of this sentence?

2. I may have missed a rule, but can you flip special tiles? This matters for a couple, like the "L" tile. I assume you can since both sides are identical, but I cannot find a rule on it.

3. Do cattle and sheep automatically go in your stables when purchased, in a stack? I could not find an explict instruction about it, but I assume yes.

4. Can you slaughter a cow or sheep to feed vikings during the feast phase? It would make sense with the color, but I did not find any example or rule about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it once now and think I get all the rules. The English rulebook is vague in places. These are what I think are the correct rulings.

1. Yes. It says 'whaling boat(s) you are using' and you only do so when whaling. Could have been phrased more clearly.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

4. Yes, you can. I think this is in the errata for the English rules that you can find here on bgg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:
I've played it once now and think I get all the rules. The English rulebook is vague in places. These are what I think are the correct rulings.

1. Yes. It says 'whaling boat(s) you are using' and you only do so when whaling. Could have been phrased more clearly.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

4. Yes, you can. I think this is in the errata for the English rules that you can find here on bgg.

Thanks for the quick reply! The PDF errata clarifies the whaling text, and I apologize for missing that.

Do you have a source on flipping special tiles? Not even the errata seems to mention this.

The English errata mentions you can exchange animal tiles, but does NOT mention using them in the feast phase as far as I can tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
From my understanding only animal products can be placed in houses or used in feasts, not livestock, but all red animal goods can be traded

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
From my understanding only animal products can be placed in houses or used in feasts, not livestock, but all red animal goods can be traded

This is wrong. Page 10 says that you can use orange or red tokens for a feast either from your supply or your stables.

And only animals can be taken from stables. So you can clearly use them as food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexendoktor wrote:
johncraven wrote:

This is wrong. Page 10 says that you can use orange or red tokens for a feast either from your supply or your stables.

And only animals can be taken from stables. So you can clearly use them as food.

are all red tiles considered animal products then? page 3 implies otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Meiklejohn
msg tools
johncraven wrote:
Hexendoktor wrote:
johncraven wrote:

Yes, I believe the distinction's just to show they don't have orange/red sides. Although the sheep/cattle can't actually be placed in the houses as they're too big (because of the supports getting in the way in the long house's case).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
Hexendoktor wrote:
johncraven wrote:

No. Sheep and cow are considered animals, not animal products. But page 10, phase 9, refers to orange and red markers, so it doesn't matter whether sheep and cow are animals or animal products, both are red.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hexendoktor wrote:
johncraven wrote:

Thanks, I missed the page 10 text about "(or stable)". My bad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexendoktor wrote:
johncraven wrote:
Hexendoktor wrote:
johncraven wrote:

No. Sheep and cow are considered animals, not animal products. But page 10, phase 9, refers to orange and red markers, so it doesn't matter whether sheep and cow are animals or animal products, both are red.

but page 10 says

"Red tiles (animal products) also cannot be placed next to each other."

if animals are not considered animal products, then it means I can place two cows back to back?

Quote:
Yes, I believe the distinction's just to show they don't have orange/red sides. Although the sheep/cattle can't actually be placed in the houses as they're too big (because of the supports getting in the way in the long house's case).

Good catch, that point is resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
but page 10 says

if animals are not considered animal products, then it means I can place two cows back to back?

I strongly suspect this is just unclear clarification terminology, and the intended meaning is "animals and animal products". The German rules also use "animal products" in that space, so I guess we have to light the Frank signal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:

but page 10 says

The text you are quoting says that red tiles can not be placed next to each other.

The text in brackets seems to be a clarification that missed the fact that there are also red animal tiles and thus is more missleading than clarifying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
After playing for the first time, I think we did most things right, except I forgot like 4 times that I could have rerolled hunting/whaling attempts, and thus destroyed my chances at winning.

I also discovered some apparent mistakes, like the white action spaces being referred to as dark yellow, or the back page of the appendix having an invalid Greenland board. The German version has the correct example. questions:

1. Page 18 states "When hunting, laying snares, and whaling, reduce the value of your roll by one for each ore (even preprinted ore) on the whaling boat(s) you are using to perform the action (you keep the ore)." This may be a silly question, but whaling boats ONLY improve whaling, right? Despite the wording of this sentence?

2. I may have missed a rule, but can you flip special tiles? This matters for a couple, like the "L" tile. I assume you can since both sides are identical, but I cannot find a rule on it.

3. Do cattle and sheep automatically go in your stables when purchased, in a stack? I could not find an explict instruction about it, but I assume yes.

4. Can you slaughter a cow or sheep to feed vikings during the feast phase? It would make sense with the color, but I did not find any example or rule about it.

Yes to all questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nan3000 wrote:
Yes to all questions!

Awesome, can we also confirm red animals in feasts cannot be next to each other, just to put that question to bed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
johncraven wrote:

Sheep and cattle can be used in the feast phase to feed your vikings just like any other red tile. And as a red tile they may not touch another red tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
johncraven wrote:
but page 10 says

I strongly suspect this is just unclear clarification terminology, and the intended meaning is "animals and animal products". The German rules also use "animal products" in that space, so I guess we have to light the Frank signal.

Arguably, animals come from animals...or are products of animals. Therefore I think one could make the case that an animal is also an animal product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.