Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for resource management/engine game medium? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan G
msg tools
New to board game geek so I apologize in advance for not being too familiar with the lingo.

Anyway I'm looking for a new game to play with wife and small group of other players. Usually the group rotates so it's not always the same people. I Am just struggling to find games with a good balance of "meat" to keep us more serious players interested without alienating new players. So far some of the recent games have been.

Settlers of Catan: simple rules and easy to get into, however not a ton of player interaction besides occasional trading. Would like something with more conflict.

7 wonders: having fun with this, considering one of the expansions if any suggestions.

Carcassone: only downside is again not enough conflict. We just played the Star Wars version though and that was pretty good for adding some conflict.

Roll for the galaxy: honestly we only got to play this once it may be a little much to explain for first time players.

I'm just looking for some suggestions of games to get into. Honestly I'd love some entry level deck/engine building games to try to get my wife into. I'm just kinda lost as to where to start. I am getting excited about all the reviews of terraforming mars but I'm worried about the complexity. I may have to reserve that for our more serious group.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're after a decent deckbuilder, the granddaddy of them all is Dominion. If you want something with a more contemporary feel, you could try Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game.

And a warm welcome to BGG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend San Juan (1st or 2nd edition) as an entry level engine-building game with enough meat to keep you interested for a while.
It scales very well from 2 to 4 players, is quickly set up, easy to teach and offers quite some replayability.
It doesn't have some kind of direct conflict (like attacking or something like this), but the role-selection always has a direct impact on the opponents.

It is based upon the same mechanics as Race for the Galaxy (kind of the predecessor of Roll for the Galaxy) but it's much, much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paperback is like Scrabble and Dominion. Who doesn't know Scrabble? It's a pretty great deck-builder too. There are some optional "Attack" cards in this too, which I haven't used yet.

You might try a worker placement game: Stone Age is the classic. I like Coal Baron as it doesn't have any hard blocking. Pretty low interaction Euro games though, which I prefer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

I'm not that well versed in engine builders, but deck building is my favourite genre! For good, relatively simple deck builders I would recommend Super Motherload and Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure. If coops are more your thing, I haven't played it but Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle is supposedly a great introductory coop deck builder with built in difficulty sliders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Settlers or 51st State: Master Set (depending on which appeals to you more, themewise... if both are the same to you, I would go with 51st state).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Imperial Settlers or 51st State: Master Set (depending on which appeals to you more, themewise... if both are the same to you, I would go with 51st state).

Bye
Thanee

I'm curious why you recommend 51st State over IS if you disregard theme as I'm trying to decide between them and like both themes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Deus: Tableau building card game with a really neat engine building component. The conflict in this is subtle so peaceful players could ignore it and get something out of the game but it is very present with aggressive behavior through board positioning and resource hoarding.

Hyperborea: This has a great pool building component and some conflict through removing other players pieces if planning is done well. The engine building is solid. I prefer it greatly over Orleans but that is another engine building game with a pool building component that was popular (far too popular IMHO).

Hansa Teutonica: This has an interesting engine building component and an interesting take on conflict as well. I prefer it with 4-5 over just 2-3. It is probably medium heavy in amount of strategic and tactical depth but medium or even medium light in number of rules and ease of explanation. I have taught this to plenty of newish gamers as their 5th or 6th game in the hobby and it tended to go over well.

If you are looking for a straight up deck builder then Dominion is still the purest and best mechanically. If you want one that is more tactical than strategic and you plan to play it mostly with 2 players then Ascension: Deckbuilding Game is pretty good. Dominion is better at handling 3-4 players though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Webb
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgW wrote:
Thanee wrote:

Bye
Thanee

I'm curious why you recommend 51st State over IS if you disregard theme as I'm trying to decide between them and like both themes.

The general opinion seems to be that the factions in 51st State Master Set seem a bit less asymmetric than the factions for Imperial Settlers. I haven't played IS yet, personally, but I absolutely love 51st State.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Dominion is a good choice or even Mystic Vale. Have you tried Ticket to Ride?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malek1 wrote:
New to board game geek so I apologize in advance for not being too familiar with the lingo.

Welcome!!

Malek1 wrote:
7 wonders: having fun with this, considering one of the expansions if any suggestions.

Definitely pick up the wonder pack if you haven't already. It doesn't change gameplay at all, but does at a bit more variety. As far as actual expansion, we got Leaders first, and Cities later on. However, we usually end up having to play just the base game when we have new players, so that may not work well if your group rotates too much.

Malek1 wrote:
Roll for the galaxy: honestly we only got to play this once it may be a little much to explain for first time players.

I've had really good success teaching this to new players. First, make sure you personally understand the rules really well. Then, use the player shields as a guide as you teach. That way you're going through the instructions in a logical way, and the new players can actually learn the iconography, and see where they can refer during the game for help.

Usually the hardest thing for new players is to get the dice placement, reassignment, and phase selection part. I find that it helps to first demonstrate, then assist them on the first couple turns, then verify what they've done for a bit after that. This is generally a game that ends with "Let's play that again" with new people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InappropriateAndy wrote:
If you're after a decent deckbuilder, the granddaddy of them all is Dominion.

But be really, really careful here. Dominion is a fantastic game (if I rated my games it would be at the top). But first you buy Dominion, then you want a bit more variety, so you buy an expansion. And another. And another. Then you decide that all the boxes take up too much space. So you start spending time researching/buying storage solutions. Then you have more space, so you buy more expansions. And at some point in there you realize your base cards are wearing out too fast, so it's time to sleeve all of your cards.

This may or may not be based on a true story. #noregrets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lewis & Clark has a great deck engine with the cards being a clever option regarding resource collection and powering up other cards.
Plus the game looks nice to new players and has a good historical feel too.

Nations or the lighter Nations: The Dice Game are fun civ builder games that have little resource engines used during the game to grow your empire.

++ for the Imperial Settlers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Fish
United States
Soldotna
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
-1 for Dominion.
Dominion is not a game that includes conflict like you want.
Dominion is multiplayer solitaire. Dominion lovers will tell you "but there are expansions that include cards for interaction!" but don't listen to them, one card getting played every once in awhile is not conflict.

Evolution is a good engine/conflict game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan G
msg tools
Thank you all for the suggestions.

The Worker placement games look kinda cool. I played stone age online for a few games, and ill probably buy that when I can find a deal.

A few other suggestions are definitely ones that im going to look into. I like the flexibility of having more than 4 players. That is really the only turn off for a few of the suggested games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may also enjoy Nefarious. It's got worker (minion) placement, and is really easy for new players to learn. It plays up to 6, and games generally take 30 minutes. Replayability is pretty decent because there are different twists (which change the rules) each game, and building inventions can definitely have a negative effect on your opponents. It's lighter on the strategy side, but those of us in my group that like meatier games still really enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.