Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Played for the first time tonight with 7 people. It went slow as we tryed to get through the rules and all share one book. We did ALOT of things wrong that we corrected as we went. They generally seemed to like the game and we will probably play more.
They took a Zoalian ship so their two Missile launchers took out the Relays very fast. I was nice and didnt have Missile Relays launch until the end of the round. And I let them, probably mistakenly, Dump trash as a 'reaction' (Q about that below).

I intend to study the rules for the next few hours at least, but here are some immediate questions we found pressing.

1 - Players can move in what ever order they want each turn?

2 - Does Steadying the Ship cost Helm Power?
(Edit: Seems yes)

3 - When do missiles do damage? I dont understand how the players can Dodge missiles or Dump the Trash with the Trickster perk when the missiles move before the Heroes get to go. Both those powers require the missile already be int he same hex. And Dodge even requires knowing the hit number to set difficulty.
(Edit: I have now found that Dodge happens out of sequence, so I guess the only question that remains is whether Dump Trash also happens out of sequence?)

4 - If an Engine is Used for Pumping can you still use the stations for other types of actions?

Thanks
Wakrob
(Im sure Ill have more questions to add to this post in a few hours)

5 - Can you fire Missiles at Missiles?
(Edit: Slowly reading EVERY rules post I have found here someone said you can but would need 12 to hit due to them being speed 12)

6 - At the bottom of this errata is says Play Aids: Human Move
attribute is 3. That cant be right? Everywhere else says 5...?

http://www.battlestations.info/errata.html

The rules could have used a chart that shows everything that causes OOC and everything about Used Markers, which modules can get them, and what that means for that module. These two topics confused us alot on this first game.

7 - Can you Prepare to Assist?
(Edit: Yes)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only answer two of these questions from memory:

CptBlood wrote:
[b]1 - Players can move in what ever order they want each turn?

Yes.

Quote:
4 - If an Engine is Used for Pumping can you still use the stations for other types of actions?

Yes, but at the remote -3 penalty. Are there any other engine actions possible besides pumping? I can't think of any but I'd probably allow them without a penalty.

Pauli

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, Transfer Power at engine, and Dump Trash can be done from any station.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if i recall correctly in 1E the dodge missile action is a free action for anyone at a helm that does require helm power.

in 2E they changed it to, you have to go on overwatch the turn before and declare your intent to dodge the missile.

you could do either rule and im sure it would work fine. whatever you decide the trash should work the same way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Shaffstall
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CptBlood wrote:

attribute is 3. That cant be right? Everywhere else says 5...?[/b]

The original Battlestations had diagonal movement, so the lower move value of 3. That changed (in 1.1 I think?) to not allow diagonal movement, so everyone got an additional 2 points of movement to compensate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1 - Players can move in what ever order they want each turn?
Yes you take your turns in order that you want. It is recommended any helm actions be taken last as they can cause OOC

2 - Does Steadying the Ship cost Helm Power?
(Edit: Seems yes)

Yes any helm action takes helm power.

3 - When do missiles do damage? I dont understand how the players can Dodge missiles or Dump the Trash with the Trickster perk when the missiles move before the Heroes get to go. Both those powers require the missile already be in the same hex. And Dodge even requires knowing the hit number to set difficulty.
(Edit: I have now found that Dodge happens out of sequence, so I guess the only question that remains is whether Dump Trash also happens out of sequence?)

I don't remember dump trash rules but I believe it is to deal with chasing missiles. Chasing Missiles occur if they are in the same hex as your ship but failed to hit the ship. Remember they don't automatically hit your ship.

Yes but it is -3 towards being remote. used marker doesn't prevent you from using the engine, it just makes it harder to use -3 to the roll for each marker.

5 - Can you fire Missiles at Missiles?
(Edit: Slowly reading EVERY rules post I have found here someone said you can but would need 12 to hit due to them being speed 12)

Yes if I remember correctly you can, but it is super hard to do so and they would need to enter the same hex.

attribute is 3. That cant be right? Everywhere else says 5...?

That is why it is an errata, but I would go by the 1.1 edition rules or the errata rules. It won't make much of a difference in the end. The errata I think was for the first edition and got modified. The second edition has humans at 5 movement points.

The rules could have used a chart that shows everything that causes OOC and everything about Used Markers, which modules can get them, and what that means for that module. These two topics confused us alot on this first game.

The reference sheet has that if I remember correctly. But basically, all helm actions that move the ship cause OOC and all movement is affected by OOC as well as actions. Every Module is affected the same way.

7 - Can you Prepare to Assist?
(Edit: Yes)

Any action you want to do can be prepared for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Engines seem to say that you place a Used Marker after you Pump the Engine, because you can only do that once per turn. But unlike other modules Engines doesnt mention -3 for further actions. So I was assuming you could Transfer Power in that engine later at no penalty...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.