Subject: Rules questions after 1st game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Henning
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
1. What do you know when choosing what player board to use and where to start? We played that you know dice results and what hexes are on the game board and what goods you have.

2. When someone places a shipping hex and changes player order, does that take effect immediatly or at the beginning of the next phase?

3. Is your starting die roll also the roll you use to determine start player or do you reroll your dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I choose player boards somewhat randomly.

I use a first player app to pick start player at the beginning of the game. That does affect how many worker files each person gets (start player gets less).

Player order due to placing a boat tile takes affect at the beginning of the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
1. You pick a board before rolling dice or getting initial goods - for your first games, it's simpler to either use the same board for everyone, or hand out a board at random.

2. Turn order takes effect at the start of each round, not phase. It can't "take effect immediately" since you might pass someone who already had their turn this round, and you only get 1 turn in a round.
You don't have to remember anything complicated - just ignore players who already had a turn when deciding whose turn it is based on the turn order track.

3. The roll for starting player is different than the rolling of dice at the start of each round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Henning
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
1. We did hand out one randomly to each player and have them choose one side of it and where to place their castle, how do you balance being able to pick from all of them?
2. So I get to know what technologies and buildings are out when i'm choosing my board and starting castle, as well as what board the players before me have picked and where they have put their starting castles?
3. I meant round sorry, Is it always clockwise from start player, whomever that may be at the time, or is it order dependent always?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan
United Kingdom
Kings Langley, Herts, UK
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. I would say play with #1 for a while. So everyone gets the same starting point...I read somewhere about avoiding #4 and #8 as they are too strong/weak to win
2. Allow all players to complete their current dice roll activity in the current order. Swap to new order at the next dice roll...whenever that is.
3. The rules state, clockwise from the 1st player and that order remains until peeples start placing the boat tokens....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kynan Stuttard
Australia
Narre Warren South
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally not convinced about the 4/8 argument..
Have played a number of games now against my wife with her playing one and me on the other.. both Games were very close (within 10 points).
I think it comes down to playing the board effectively.

just my 2c

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
Tournqiuet wrote:
Personally not convinced about the 4/8 argument..
Have played a number of games now against my wife with her playing one and me on the other.. both Games were very close (within 10 points).
I think it comes down to playing the board effectively.

just my 2c

Board 8 has been shown to be stronger after analyzing thousands of online games.

You're welcome to be skeptical of the data and its analysis (I'm not sure it has been replicated), but the argument is backed by quite a bit more plays than what you describe.

Source: [stats] avg points, win%, etc. per player board (based on a few 1000 games on boite-a-jeux)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
We pick a random mat, than choose one of the two sides.

SaltyHorse wrote:
Board 8 has been shown to be stronger after analyzing thousands of online games.

I agree: nothing tragical, but not so balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.