Subject: Homebrew objectives rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey,
So my only critic with the game after 6 plays is that the objective are too similar to each other and can get boring; this would be my game for in between games, but still...

so we are starting to come with some variants for objectives... just starting play testing this, but:

1. Trap the leaders!
- uses the "2" demolition tiles (ignoring the "casualty" dice spot)
- uses the recon setup cards
- Bosses can only be trap when less or equal to their 1/2 HP is left (remove bosses with HP: 3 from the deck)
- Place the demolition tiles with 2 symbols on the objectives. By filling the symbols, you pick up the trap and put it on your "inventory"; by using 2 dice again you can set it up on any space; and once the boss is trap you can use 2 dice again to pick it up
- Once the boss is trap and back on your inventory, go back to the starting position

2. Collect alien DNA (WIP)
- use recon tiles x2 per player
- when you kill a alien, don't remove it, tilt it on the board; other aliens can occupied this space
- While on the space you can collect its DNA by rolling a "search" - white
- You need to fill the recon tiles on your inventory with DNA (use blood token to keep track) and reach starting area to win
- At the end of the action phase the tilted alien disappear (DNA went bad)

we had a problem with the sandman ability on this one, so working on an around solution. The initial idea was to place blood mark down, but when most of the alien don't need them (they die at HP1) it became too crazy. and using special only to collect DNA made the game too random.

it felt too easy, so we are working / adding a "subobjective"

3. Rescue survivors!
- All objectives zone can be search. Increase difficulty by increasing the number of survivors that need to be found.
- When next to an objective zone you can use a white search to look in the area. Roll a D6, on 6 you found a survivor. Then use 2 "hand" red to rescue him. Once a objective spot have being search, place a blood token that zone cant be search again.
- If you have the minimum of objective left as you need survivor, you immediately found him/her by using the search symbol (don't roll D6)
- Once the amount of survivors have being found go back to the starting point.

we are thinking of adding "you found loot on rolls of 1" but we haven't test that version

we have only play these homebrew objective once each last weekend, gonna try them again when I`m off work end of the week. So this is no final, but figure I share

NOTE I don't have the rules with me (im at work, quite bored atm; so these rules are of what I remember we write down; but I`m pretty sure I have most stuff down lol)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These sound really interesting! Particularly 2 and 3, 1 sounds a lot like the trapping from the Adrenaline Expansion, but on bosses.

How does the Rescue the survivors objective play out, and what's a good number for how many survivors you have to find?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glad u like them

I didn't order adrenaline, someone just PM me the concept after I read this. Similar true, I'm gonna try it; but i think the boss version is more challenging. Trapping soldier sound easier somehow; of course this is without having ANY basis saying that. I do like that the bosses need to be wounded

regarding survivors. It played well... But we want to try it again because we noticed that it can be TOO random. we play having to rescue 4 survivors in a 2 player medium game.. we won at round 6, but if lucky you can win at round 3-4 which would be a let down.
Someone commented on a nice "search and retrieve" idea, which we might try to mix with this. reducing the numbers of survivors, but having to take them back to the starting area.

we gonna play again tomorrow and thursday; we gonna play with some options. for all version above, will report back

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha definitely keep up posted! Also, what do you mean by "too random"? Because with any of the base game objectives, you have to roll certain dice, so that's also random too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, some great ideas there! It really got me thinking.

I came up with a couple other rough ideas for mission objectives:

Survival - The aliens spawn like normal but your sole mission is to survive until the end of round 8. I thought to spice it up one could place "crates" on the game board that a player could search if they ventured out to them. Place the crate tokens by rolling the yellow die.

Salvage - A mission where you had to recover salvage from the playing area and return it to the base to repair your ship and then leave the planet.

Destroy - The objective is to destroy all of the spawn points before you get killed. The final spawn point would be exceptionally rough since if it wasn't destroyed before the alien spawn phase they would spawn right on top of you.

And finally a variant of your rescue mission where you had to find a hidden survivor that was one of several tokens out on the board. The tokens would be all the same until flipped over when they are searched. Some would be gear tokens, some just junk tokens, some aliens (a spawn point), and one would be the survivor. The survivor then needs to be taken back to base.

These are all just conceptual as I haven't tried to play them yet or work out some of the details. If I manage to test them I'll add to your thread if you don't mind. I see a lot of potential for this game to spark the general great creativity that BGG members bring.

Thanks again for starting this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quidom wrote:

Survival - The aliens spawn like normal but your sole mission is to survive until the end of round 8. I thought to spice it up one could place "crates" on the game board that a player could search if they ventured out to them. Place the crate tokens by rolling the yellow die.

I like the idea of this. Reminds of a certain mission from Starcraft 1 I feel like this would need a little more difficulty to it. At least for me, it's just the right difficulty trying to complete the normal objectives, so taking them away and adding crate would make it easier. Plus you aren't having to exhaust dice for objectives. Maybe add two or three more alien spawns per round to really make it seem overwhelming?

quidom wrote:

Salvage - A mission where you had to recover salvage from the playing area and return it to the base to repair your ship and then leave the planet.

Like the Recovery objectives...? :o

quidom wrote:

Destroy - The objective is to destroy all of the spawn points before you get killed. The final spawn point would be exceptionally rough since if it wasn't destroyed before the alien spawn phase they would spawn right on top of you.

I think this one would be relatively easy with 3 or 4 players. A whole team could wipe out monster spawns while clearing a path to the spawn point to destroy, potentially with one person defending the base.

quidom wrote:

And finally a variant of your rescue mission where you had to find a hidden survivor that was one of several tokens out on the board. The tokens would be all the same until flipped over when they are searched. Some would be gear tokens, some just junk tokens, some aliens (a spawn point), and one would be the survivor. The survivor then needs to be taken back to base.

Mmmm, not sure how I feel about this one, but it could work. Maybe it's just personal preference, I like the OP's idea of "When next to an objective zone, you can use a white search to look in the area. Roll a D6, on 6 you find a survivor. Then use 2 red hands to rescue him/her. Once an objective spot has been searched, place a blood token that zone and it can't be search again."

I really like this discussion of game variants. Really opens up the options for this game to keep it fresh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ryan. Good points.

Those were all stream of consciousness so there are some holes (big holes for some!). I missed the similarities of the salvage mission. D'oh.

The rescue one is based on a Zombicide mission I like to play. But in that game one of the tokens is a boss. Having the random tokens really increases the tension.

I will see what I can come up with. I appreciate the feedback and Chang's original post to spur us all into fleshing out the game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.