Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Klinton
Sweden
Mölnlycke
-
flag msg tools
mb
I got the game mostly for solo play. I tried it once but there were so freakishly many rulesquestion it felt rather pointless. Can I just use the new rulebook and actually have any usage of my copy or do I need to buy the upgradekit(doesn¨t come with updated cards?). An upgradekit for 20$ + shipping feels rather pointless. Add like 10$ and I get the new version.

Maybe I can build a tent or a fireplace from my old one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Games World
Saudi Arabia
Jeddah
Jeddah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your copy is just fine, just read the new rule book and you are good to go,
And by the way you don't need the upgrade kit, the upgrade kit just give some updated components

This cursed island is not done with you sir
Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Godvillig wrote:

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmb
I own neither of these editions, but there are numerous threads here regarding the differences, and it is safe to say, just d/l the new rules.

Keep in mind thought, that even when structured well, the rules are not that easy to grog in the first session. You will have to sit through a game or two, referencing often the rules, but this is rewarded by an excellent game, once you got into it and well worth the effort. Another option would be to find somebody, who is already experienced with the game, and let him or her do the teaching for you. That's the easy and fast way into the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Klinton
Sweden
Mölnlycke
-
flag msg tools
mb
Susumu wrote:
I own neither of these editions, but there are numerous threads here regarding the differences, and it is safe to say, just d/l the new rules.

Keep in mind thought, that even when structured well, the rules are not that easy to grog in the first session. You will have to sit through a game or two, referencing often the rules, but this is rewarded by an excellent game, once you got into it and well worth the effort. Another option would be to find somebody, who is already experienced with the game, and let him or her do the teaching for you. That's the easy and fast way into the game.

My problem hasn't really been with understanding the rules as much as the rules are just not clear. I saw there was a multipage compilation of FAQ that was comprised of QA on this site. I mean most games I just have 1-2 question but this ... I did not want to houserule anything either, I like to play as intended.

Last time I think I got stuck on whether I could save "resources" that come from discovery tokens. I went to these forums and well there were a lot of different opinions. It isnt a minor thing as well since well it could be the difference of winning/loosing a scenario.

I mean the game itselfs FEEEEELS so freakinglish awesome, and a great solo game .

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1031568/discovery-token-woo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An upgrade kit will be made available for $20 at some point: http://portalgames.pl/new_en/article-robinson-crusoe-upgrade...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
An upgrade kit will be made available for $20 at some point: http://portalgames.pl/new_en/article-robinson-crusoe-upgrade...

did you even read the thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Klinton
Sweden
Mölnlycke
-
flag msg tools
mb
Potatopotato wrote:
Your copy is just fine, just read the new rule book and you are good to go,
And by the way you don't need the upgrade kit, the upgrade kit just give some updated components

This cursed island is not done with you sir
Enjoy

Thanks. I guess I will have a good read or (5) and go for a nice evening of solo gaming this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

did you even read the thread?

Oops! I skimmed it and then focussed on finding the post on Portal's site instead of reading properly first. Sorry about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
The funny thing about the thread title is that before the new edition was announced, thousands of people already owned and enjoyed this game.

This happens any time a new edition of a game is released. Another great game that saw a reprint with changes was San Juan. I still own and absolutely love the original game. And San Juan (second edition) actually had changes to game play. The newest edition of Robinson has only received cosmetic changes. The game play remains the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.S. Barker
United States
New Philadelphia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Godvillig wrote:
I got the game mostly for solo play. I tried it once but there were so freakishly many rulesquestion it felt rather pointless. Can I just use the new rulebook...
Watch Ricky Royals Video series:

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/22180/robinson-crusoe-advent...

I d/l them from Youtube, and when I play the Vassal mod, I have them running for reference/play along. With them, I've never cracked the rulebook either old or new and the game is wonderful.

Cheers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Klinton
Sweden
Mölnlycke
-
flag msg tools
mb
dbolyard wrote:
The funny thing about the thread title is that before the new edition was announced, thousands of people already owned and enjoyed this game.

This happens any time a new edition of a game is released. Another great game that saw a reprint with changes was San Juan. I still own and absolutely love the original game. And San Juan (second edition) actually had changes to game play. The newest edition of Robinson has only received cosmetic changes. The game play remains the same.

But in this case I really had no use for my games as the messy rules ruined what should have been a great solo game. So I wasn't enjoying it before but well if too much was different I would have picked up the new one for a "working" copy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Too many games from the last 5 years or so have rules so inscrutable that trying to play them is no longer fun, but more like work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar 10101
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
Godvillig wrote:
I got the game mostly for solo play. I tried it once but there were so freakishly many rulesquestion it felt rather pointless. Can I just use the new rulebook and actually have any usage of my copy or do I need to buy the upgradekit(doesn¨t come with updated cards?). An upgradekit for 20$ + shipping feels rather pointless. Add like 10$ and I get the new version.

Depends what version of the game you have. English ZMan version or English Portal version? Worth updating your first post with that piece of information.

Over 400 card changes were made compared to the English Portal version, but the cards in the ZMan version "were just fine" (see reference below).
The manual was completely rewritten because of the English Portal manual not because of the ZMan version.

Read through this thread: Robinson Crusoe 2016 Edition - Changes

Or check in particular these replies:
See this reply: There are over 400 corrections on the cards to fix bad English.
See this reply: Please read my post above carefully. The Z-Man cards on the whole were pretty good. I fixed some minor and cosmetic stuff. The hundreds of changes I made were NOT to the Z-Man cards - they were to the ORIGINAL version of the english cards.
See this reply: If you have the ZMan cards you should be fine
See this reply: Ignacy told me they threw the old rulebook in the bin, and I'd read the Z-Man version, I was confused. But he meant the original english language Portal edition of the game.

So my two cents:
If you have the ZMan version consider just downloading the new manual.
If you have the English Portal version consider buying a new game.

Overall I'm confused which version Portal intended the upgrade kit for as it doesn't seem to fit either version very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Klinton
Sweden
Mölnlycke
-
flag msg tools
mb
oskar101 wrote:
Godvillig wrote:

Depends what version of the game you have. English ZMan version or English Portal version? Worth updating your first post with that piece of information.

Over 400 card changes were made compared to the English Portal version, but the cards in the ZMan version "were just fine" (see reference below).
The manual was completely rewritten because of the English Portal manual not because of the ZMan version.

Read through this thread: Robinson Crusoe 2016 Edition - Changes

Or check in particular these replies:
See this reply: There are over 400 corrections on the cards to fix bad English.
See this reply: Please read my post above carefully. The Z-Man cards on the whole were pretty good. I fixed some minor and cosmetic stuff. The hundreds of changes I made were NOT to the Z-Man cards - they were to the ORIGINAL version of the english cards.
See this reply: If you have the ZMan cards you should be fine
See this reply: Ignacy told me they threw the old rulebook in the bin, and I'd read the Z-Man version, I was confused. But he meant the original english language Portal edition of the game.

So my two cents:
If you have the ZMan version consider just downloading the new manual.
If you have the English Portal version consider buying a new game.

Overall I'm confused which version Portal intended the upgrade kit for as it doesn't seem to fit either version very well.

Sorry about the confusion. I thought 2014 was implied which version it is. From what I can tell from the box it's z-man and there is a 2014 copywright thingy so well, 3rd english edition from z-man?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
When Portal releases this new 2016 edition, all original copies of the game stop working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Klinton
Sweden
Mölnlycke
-
flag msg tools
mb
clydeiii wrote:
When Portal releases this new 2016 edition, all original copies of the game stop working.

Thanks for contributing nothing but a snarky comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Godvillig wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

He was going for humor moreso than snark.

Your game will work exactly as it did before the new edition existed.

(If you need to have the new edition with any adjustments that were made, then you no longer need your old edition.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
Godvillig wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

He was going for humor moreso than snark.

Your game will work exactly as it did before the new edition existed.

(If you need to have the new edition with any adjustments that were made, then you no longer need your old edition.)

though based on your comments, it seems like your previous copy wasn't in working condition, so perhaps it started obsolete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis T
Greece
Thessaloniki
EVOSMOS
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dbolyard wrote:

Not exactlybthe samE. The shelter rules have changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Meyzieu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GladiatorGr wrote:
dbolyard wrote:

Not exactlybthe samE. The shelter rules have changed.

No they don't What makes you say that ?

Though the +1 token rules change (now if corresponding source exhausted or not existing, does not grant any of that source)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis T
Greece
Thessaloniki
EVOSMOS
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can now build palisade and roof even with natural shelter. In previous rules you couldn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
GladiatorGr wrote:
You can now build palisade and roof even with natural shelter. In previous rules you couldn't.

You've always been able to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta is right.
You were always able to build a roof and palisade with a natural shelter. You lose it all though, when you move your camp instead of only half if you pre-build the shelter. But this was all in the old rules as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.