$30.00
Gary Stone
United Kingdom
Freethorpe
flag msg tools
mbmb
So I've got a vague idea for a board game and it's based around a real location. Assuming I redraw a map and only use town/region names would there be any legal issues?

Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you may not set a game in my house.

Sheesh.

Stop asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gary10 wrote:
So I've got a vague idea for a board game and it's based around a real location. Assuming I redraw a map and only use town/region names would there be any legal issues?

Many thanks

Unless the real location is trademarked, such as "Disney World", I don't see how a proper, public name could ever be a problem.

For example, I'm going to create a game that has a character's name of Gary. Please try to sue me.

Good luck (on the design and the suit).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne mathias
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply using a real location has no intrinsic meaning. New York City cannot sue Marvel Comics for basing superheroes there in the comics - including referring to actual landmarks and involving them in stories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gxnpt wrote:
Simply using a real location has no intrinsic meaning. New York City cannot sue Marvel Comics for basing superheroes there in the comics - including referring to actual landmarks and involving them in stories.

Although I remember a news story about the city of New York trying to file a legal complaint to stop GTA IV being set in a parody version of New York. Clearly that went really well for them and the game got cancelled...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.