Trajan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Playing cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

Newbie question here. What's the use of playing cards if not to ship goods? More, can these played cards be shipped away on a later turn, or once down they stay there till the end of game with no use other than the fact that they can add some additional points at the end?

To me it's clear that you'd always want to ship the goods WHILE at the same time having your cards played in front of you so as to count for final points. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason to play cards is for endgame points if you have the proper scoring tiles. Once played, the cards stay there and can no longer be shipped.

However, when you play 1 or 2 cards instead of shipping, you get to replace those 1 or 2 cards from the deck into your hand. So it is a way to play cards and get new ones at the same time. This is a good option if you have the scoring tiles for those cards, but want to try to collect a set of cards for better shipping points of which the played cards didn't match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OK, I see it now. But where do the cards go when you ship them? Do they stay there in front of you along with the ones that were simply 'played' and not shipped? Plus, do they equally count towards the end of the game reckoning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chokin wrote:
OK, I see it now. But where do the cards go when you ship them? Do they stay there in front of you along with the ones that were simply 'played' and not shipped? Plus, do they equally count towards the end of the game reckoning?
All cards you play go face up to your tableau. Every card in your tableau scores for the appropriate scoring tile you have at the end of the game.

Generally shipping cards to get them to your tableau is better than simply playing them there directly. But if other players have already used the shipping boats and it's towards the end of the game and you only have two mismatched cards, then it won't be many points to ship those cards anyway. If they match your scoring tiles, then playing them to your tableau and hoping that your replacements also match might be your best bet. I've seen people use a triple shipping action at the end of the game to turn their two cards in hand into six cards in their tableau (and they managed to get four cards that matched their scoring tiles for 12 points).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.