4 Posts

Nippon» Forums » General

Subject: like signorie not as keen on Zhanguo, will i like Nippon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm tempted in buying this game, I recently bought Signorie and Zhanguo, we really like Signorie, love the drafting aspect of the game, however we weren't that keen on Zhanguo unfortunately. I'm just wondering how complex the rules are for this and if we enjoy the drafting, will we enjoy this game?
mainly 2 players (wife and I) thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Geiregat
Belgium
flag msg tools
Stevieram wrote:
Hi, I'm tempted in buying this game, I recently bought Signorie and Zhanguo, we really like Signorie, love the drafting aspect of the game, however we weren't that keen on Zhanguo unfortunately. I'm just wondering how complex the rules are for this and if we enjoy the drafting, will we enjoy this game?
mainly 2 players (wife and I) thanks

If you like Signorie the chances are high you will like Nippon. In complexity they are very similar.

I own both Signorie and Nippon and the later hits the table more often then the first.

We have played Zhanguo twice and also find it a bit complex at first (not saying it's a bad game).

So I would highly recommend Nippon to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you. I agree with you about Zhanguo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and enjoy all three games so I can compare them a bit.

Nippon shares a similar action selection mechanic as the one used in Signorie. However instead of dice, players are selecting different colored workers. Just as players in Signorie are balancing the actions they want to do with choosing low die values to get the end of round bonus, players in Nippon are balancing their desired actions against having as few colors as possible. Nippon takes it to another level with players now able to control the pacing of the game with these action selections. You could possibly force an early scoring if you see that your opponent is not set up to take advantage.

In Zhanguo, players are able to choose their own end game scoring by claiming territory on wall tiles and locking in positions for the Emperor’s Requests. In Nippon, players are able to determine their own end game scoring by selecting certain multipliers (based on how long you push things before resetting your board) to place on specific end game achievements. These two games also share the importance of the area control mechanic. In Zhanguo, the scoring for Governors is at the end of the game, but it is very significant. In Nippon, there are 3 area control scoring throughout the game, and they are very important in the game. My personal opinion is that Nippon is similar in weight to Zhanguo, and that Signorie is lighter (of course this is a matter of opinion and often comes down to which games people “get”).

I would say that Nippon is more similar to Signorie in terms of strategy vs. tactics. You need to adapt based on the workers (dice in Signorie) that comes out, but you have an overall strategy. Zhanguo is a bit more tactical, with players trying to optimize their new hand of cards each turn.

I would recommend Nippon if you are a big fan of the action (dice) selection mechanic of Signorie or if you are a big fan of the “choose your own” end game scoring of Zhanguo. I would also recommend the game if you are a fan of optimization puzzles, and it appeals to you to try to do similar actions as your opponents, but try to do them more efficiently based on the opportunities the game presents.

Best of luck with your decision!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.