New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Which answer best suits you when playing games? "I like to play..."
Ameritrash Games (exclusively)
Ameritrash Games (almost exclusively)
Ameritrash Games (far more than Euro-Games)
Ameritrash Games (more so than Euro Games)
Amritrash/Euro Games (an even mix of both)
Euro Games (more so than Ameritrash Games)
Euro Games (far more than Ameritrash Games)
Euro Games (almost exclusively)
Euro Games (exclusively)
You can't put ME in a BOX!!!
Bacon (seems that many leave this one out anymore...)
      182 answers
Poll created by killerjoe1962

EDIT ADD ON

before I hit submit when I made this thread I ran out of time and had to get ready for work so the following should've accompanied the poll:

This poll is exclusively for my own curiosity and does not speak for anyone else so your participation appreciated but the results really are pretty benign except for my own enjoyment. I am not trying to prove any point whatsoever, just thought I'd post a poll.

I included not being put into a box because I have seen enough responses to other polls that some folks just feel uncomfortable with labeling in general so I added that to the poll.

War gamers can just choose not to participate for whatever reason they see fit, I know war gamers seem to feel unrepresented here on the boards (or at least that's my opinion).

Have fun, and remember, it's okay to choose BACON!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
What kind of gamer are you?
Euro - I want meeples, an economic engine, and the most points at the end.
Ameritrash - I want lots of little plastic dudes to conquer the world.
Coop - I want to work with my friends to stop disease and get off the island.
Abstract - If I dominate d4 then my Tzaar will achieve ko.
Card - Net Runner, Magic, L5R, Dominion, if it has cards, I'm in.
War - A grognard. 800 cardboard counters, 20 pages of rules, so you mean a LIGHT war game then?
Theme - When my shoggoths betray your cylons then shall Arthur sleep easy.
Casual - What's wrong with monopoly?
      491 answers
Poll created by skutsch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poor wargamers. While the other children fight over the birthday cake, they're just stuck there with their nose pressed to the window.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Poll
War - A grognard. 800 cardboard counters, 20 pages of rules, so you mean a LIGHT war game then?
      491 answers
Poll created by skutsch

Forgot
-Omnigamer (I like diversity in my diet)

Also - aren't Ameritrash and Theme essentially the same, how are you differentiating them? Why a separate entry for each? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Poor wargamers. While the other children fight over the birthday cake, they're just stuck there with their nose pressed to the window.

Don't worry. Rather than nose on the window, we are with our noses pressed into the rulebook, playing pretty much without caring what goes on around us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Forgot
-Omnigamer (I like diversity in my diet) :p

Also - aren't Ameritrash and Theme essentially the same, how are you differentiating them? Why a separate entry for each? :ninja:

They are both defined as Ameritrash but in my heart Ameritrash is always dudes on a map so that's how I defined it in MY poll. I kept thematic games (you know, all that Lovecraftian crap) separate because those games are mechanically entirely different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
skutsch wrote:
Poll
      491 answers
Poll created by skutsch

Forgot

Also - aren't Ameritrash and Theme essentially the same, how are you differentiating them? Why a separate entry for each? ninja

I think he's using "ameritrash" to refer solely to dudes-on-a-map games (which doesn't make sense for the term to be so exclusive because the entire point of ameritrash games is that they're so thematic. And so many co-ops (and probably card games) are ameritrash too.)

FWIW this isn't the first time that Skutch has tried to narrow the definition of the term "ameritrash".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
skutsch wrote:
Poll
      491 answers
Poll created by skutsch

Forgot

I don't think so. There are many very thematic Euros, e. g. games by Uwe Rosenberg, Robinson Crusoe, Terrraforming Mars, Voyages of Marco Polo to name a few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm a bit more into Euros but feel I have a wide taste. My wife is very much more Euros. I would have more Ameritrash if I thought my wife would play them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
FWIW this isn't the first time that Skutch has tried to narrow the definition of the term "ameritrash".

Who is this "Skutch" person you speak of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

Yeah, I couldn't vote in this poll as wargames weren't listed. Queue wargamer persecution complex!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Europe > America

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondkalb123 wrote:

I don't think so. There are many very thematic Euros, e. g. games by Uwe Rosenberg, Robinson Crusoe, Terrraforming Mars, Voyages of Marco Polo to name a few.

Robinson Crusoe is a hybrid, surely?

That aside, I agree with you. The whole term "thematic" is just something BGG came up with to stop the pearl clutchers fainting daintily at the term "Ameritrash".

It's so vague to be entirely meaningless. What separates euros and Ameritrash is whether they have a strong theme or not. It's how that theme is expressed mechanically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Poll
      491 answers
Poll created by skutsch

in my opinion the question for this poll could say,
"Check each one that applies to you..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
War gamers can just choose not to participate for whatever reason they see fit, I know war gamers seem to feel unrepresented here on the boards (or at least that's my opinion).

Hmm, you also left out abstract strategy games...

My favorite games are abstract strategy games and wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Mondkalb123 wrote:

That aside, I agree with you. The whole term "thematic" is just something BGG came up with to stop the pearl clutchers fainting daintily at the term "Ameritrash".

It's so vague to be entirely meaningless. What separates euros and Ameritrash is whether they have a strong theme or not. It's how that theme is expressed mechanically.
I assume you meant "What separates Euros and Ameritrash isn't whether they have a strong theme or not", right? I agree that there are many Euros with strong themes (Terraforming Mars is a perfect example by the way) and that what distinguishes them from Ameritrash games has more to do with how that theme is implemented mechanically than with the strength of theme.

(I also disagree that Voyages of Marco Polo is particularly thematic at all. If you changed the name of the game and characters to anything else, I'd have never realized what the theme was supposed to be.)

"Thematic Games" is a misnomer. It's an attempt to avoid the term Ameritrash that seizes on a characteristic that is often given more importance in Ameritrash games than it is in Euros. But theme isn't really the thing that sets those two types of games apart. Terraforming Mars is probably one of the more thematic games I've played in a long time and nobody would ever lump it into the Ameritrash category. When you sort things by "Thematic" you end up with a mismash of games, which admittedly has a lot of Ameritrash games in it, but as a group doesn't really have a lot in common. Thematic just isn't a good way of sorting games... I don't know anyone who likes games with strong themes regardless of what type of theme it is and regardless of how the game plays (whether it's more of a Euro or an Ameritrash game). This is a categorization scheme that I don't fits many people at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondkalb123 wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Forgot

Agreed that there are some thematic Euros. But, theme is very subjective and is in the eye of the beholder. I find Chess thematic, for example.

However, as far as genre classification, the official BGG terms are "Thematic" (for Ameritrash) and "Strategy" (for Euros).
Hybrids would be some split percentage between the two.

I prefer the terms Ameritrash/Euros, since as both of us agree, some Euros can feel quite thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Theme tends to be what pulls me into a game but the mechanics are what keep me there. Ultimately I want a balance between the two. I LOVE miniatures due to that extra flare they add but I also love metal coins for that same reason. There's just something aesthetically and tactilely pleasing about miniatures, gold coins, and even wood bits.

That said, I classified myself as a casual gamer simply because I don't prefer one type of game over another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:

Hmm, you also left out abstract strategy games...

My favorite games are abstract strategy games and wargames.

I left out far more types than that!
gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
I assume you meant "What separates Euros and Ameritrash isn't whether they have a strong theme or not", right?

Oops, yep!

Quote:
I don't know anyone who likes games with strong themes regardless of what type of theme it is and regardless of how the game plays (whether it's more of a Euro or an Ameritrash game). This is a categorization scheme that I don't fits many people at all.

I know some. But they aren't primarily boardgamers. They're systemless roleplayers and freeform LARPers. Boardgames simply aren't set up to cater to the "theme only" crowd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew "You can't put me in a box" choice would be high.....too funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
Up with goats! Down with sheep!
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Burnham wrote:

Who is this "Skutch" person you speak of?

Like Skutsch, only not so full of s?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am offended by this poll. Why have you done this to me? I won't sleep tonight because I am so offended. You can't post lighthearted surveys to satiate your own curiosity! Who gave you permission to do this???

Also, I debate every description listed in your poll. You cannot define the items as you have defined them. I reject this poll and all it stands for, sir! Reject it, I say! *Shakes fist*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
I knew "You can't put me in a box" choice would be high.....too funny.
You can put me in a box...

...of bacon.

Pete (accedes to that)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Mondkalb123 wrote:

And I, for one, detest said euphamism. Not because my slight preference is thematic euros, resource management and action efficiency focused stuff where the mechanisms are dripping with theme (and its slight, I'll play pretty much anything) when the strategic euphamism for euro implies euros lack theme, but the idea that Ameritrash staples like Warhammer, MTG - both of which have fairly significant tournaments where the best players consistently win and do well in - war of the ring, even down to risk, lack strategic and tactical play.

(I'm not convinced most coops make sense in the euro/amerithrash paradigm, tbh, but I'd put RC as euro at a push, compared to MoM or M&M. It's stuff like Defenders of the Realm and to a lesser extent Pandemic I'd label hybrids. But I tend to find 'how spatial is this?' a more useful criteria for coops than Euro vs Ameri. Which would put Knizia's LOTR at the opposite end to Pandemic.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.