Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Selwyn Ward
United Kingdom
Tunbridge Wells
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2016 Goodie Box included promos/mini-expansions for four of the year's prize-winning games: Codenames, TIME Stories, Isle of Skye and Mombasa. For me, the Mombasa mini-expansion is the most interesting. Entitled 'Cooked Books', it helps to make the book track both more usable and more desirable. It adds six books (three A, three B) each of which demand the payment of cash. Interestingly, it also provides a new bonus space that can be claimed by the player with the highest total of bookkeepers in each round - paying out cash, depending on the number of bookkeepers you have (2 gold for 1; 5 gold for 2; 9 gold for 3). I am obviously not the only Mombasa player to decide that the bookkeeping track is more bother than it's worth, but this combo could help tip the balance for me in pursuing the book track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell me more of this Goodie Box you speak of. How would one purchase it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anderson santana
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hi Selwyn, really good news.

How can we reach that such a nice Mombasa mini-expansion?

Thanks for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Geiregat
Belgium
flag msg tools
Although I've read here that some people actualy use it to win the game! The book track never worked out of me either.

So after reading this I'm quite interesting in this mini-expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion is part of the Deutscher Spielepreis 2016 Goodie Box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's up for pre-order on Funagain. Has anyone seen it anywhere else? It's About $25 shipped from Funagain...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered it from Funagain using their Essen Air service. Hopefully they got my copy while they were in Essen last week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh, interested in all four, but really interested in the Cooked Books for Mombasa. Even if we don't play on Wednesday, can you bring it along so I can have a look? Ta!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Duran
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to see this expansion available as a promo through some other domestic US means, like the BGG store. Wonder if there're any plans for that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Wisconsin Rapids
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't the bookkeeping tiles are going to make bookkeeping quite as viable as some of you think.

You're spending 3 coins to gain 5 VP, or 6 to gain 10 VP. On paper it seems like a great investment, but don't forget that coins are a resource that can be used for buying cards or paying capital calls on the share track.

They're gonna be great in the final rounds in the game when you might not have many places to spend your coins, but early in the game, I think they're gonna suck. They're a trap.

The Bonus Tile thing, I think that's slightly better. Showing a single bookkeeper or two for 2 or 5 coins can be really good. The two-turn combo might make it a little easier to pay the cost of the cooked books tiles, but I still think the net gain is minimal.

The 9 coin spot for having 3 bookkeepers, however, I think that's another trap. Unless you've got your 4th and 5th card slot unlocked, your turn overall is going to be pretty weak.

About this bonus tile - where's it supposed to go? There's no room on the board for it. If they left it as a square I can see it going off to the side and not looking too out-of-place, but it's cut out like they intend for us to cover an existing spot with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fastattaq wrote:
I don't the bookkeeping tiles are going to make bookkeeping quite as viable as some of you think...

I have no idea how this promo is going to change the game.

However, the assumption that bookkeeping is weak, or that it needs a fix, is erroneous. BK is the hardest part of the game, and new players generally fail to play it well. This makes them jump to the conclusion that it is underpowered.

In reality, you cannot ignore bookkeeping and hope to beat an experienced player.

The reason is that the cards you use to pass book requirements can be used for other things - advancing on stock tracks or acquiring other cards. In contrast, when you play diamond merchants you don't get the 'twofer', just the diamond points. So those card slots are dead after you gather your diamond points, where the BK play lets you score BK points, and then reuse the cards for other actions, as well as garnering a nice bonus for the book you stop on!

I think the confusion on this issue stems from the fact that while Mombasa looks like a modern euro with 'multiple paths to victory', it simply isn't. Mr. P designed it 20 years ago, only the graphic design is current. And true to its pre-point-salad roots, it's a game where you have to excel at all of the 'phases' to win consistently against other experienced players.

Hope this helps...

p.s. Ordered my goodie box... can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doctoryes0 wrote:
fastattaq wrote:
I don't the bookkeeping tiles are going to make bookkeeping quite as viable as some of you think...

I have no idea how this promo is going to change the game.

However, the assumption that bookkeeping is weak, or that it needs a fix, is erroneous. BK is the hardest part of the game, and new players generally fail to play it well. This makes them jump to the conclusion that it is underpowered.

In reality, you cannot ignore bookkeeping and hope to beat an experienced player.

The reason is that the cards you use to pass book requirements can be used for other things - advancing on stock tracks or acquiring other cards. In contrast, when you play diamond merchants you don't get the 'twofer', just the diamond points. So those card slots are dead after you gather your diamond points, where the BK play lets you score BK points, and then reuse the cards for other actions, as well as garnering a nice bonus for the book you stop on!

I think the confusion on this issue stems from the fact that while Mombasa looks like a modern euro with 'multiple paths to victory', it simply isn't. Mr. P designed it 20 years ago, only the graphic design is current. And true to its pre-point-salad roots, it's a game where you have to excel at all of the 'phases' to win consistently against other experienced players.

Hope this helps...

p.s. Ordered my goodie box... can't wait!

Couldn't agree more. While the book track is extremely unforgiving in that it's very easy to make a variety of mistakes that can't easily be fixed, it is most definitely a very viable path to victory. In fact I've never lost a game where I've reached the end of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tolis Koutsikos

Athens
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've contacted the publisher of the Goodie Box and they've let me know they will have stock at BGG con. After that, some copies should find their way to the bgg store.

For anyone interested I recently purchased the Goodie Box from here:

https://www.fantasywelt.de/Deutscher-Spielepreis-2016-Goodie...

the price seemed very fair (at least if you live in Europe). Haven't used it in game yet, so I don't know how it affects gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.