Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I'm just getting into the system, I have the 2nd edition of Awakening the bear on my way to me right now. So this module covers 1941 and 1943 Kursk 2nd edition is on pre-order. Just wondering, does anyone know when other Eastern Front releases are planned for 1942, 1944 and 1945?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JG53_Jaguar wrote:
Hi All,

I'm just getting into the system, I have the 2nd edition of Awakening the bear on my way to me right now. So this module covers 1941 and 1943 Kursk 2nd edition is on pre-order. Just wondering, does anyone know when other Eastern Front releases are planned for 1942, 1944 and 1945?

Thanks!

I haven't heard of other eastern front going forward, but a D-Day edition has been the works for a while for the western front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be nice if they put out some more scenarios, seeing as that between Awakening the Bear, Storms of Steel, and Price of honor, and the couple of expansions that there should be enough counters and maps to design scenarios for the majority of east front situations.
Future additions could be scenario books, or campaign books with some extra maps. Doesn't neccessarily need to be a full blown game per say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Mooney
msg tools
Have you tried to make up your own scenario. I have been doing this for some time. There is no one living close enough to play against.
I set up several where I put one side or the other on a hill or in a village and then attacked it. At first the sides would be equal, then gradually increased attacker until they could take the position. It validated the game for me because most often you needed the 3 to 1 advantage to take a defended position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the FF expansion for AtB2, you can create additional FF's to your heart's content.

I bet that solo SoS and Guadalcanal are probably on the agenda (and maybe even FF expansions) before any totally new Eastern Front release outside of SoS2. I would even surmise (and hope) that Western Front or Africa would come first. Given the amount of time it takes new games to get released, it could be years for even the D-Day title and years after that for anything else. Just guessing though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob S.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pisqueeter wrote:
... I would even surmise (and hope) that Western Front or Africa would come first...

A Western Front game would be great! That gets my vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pisqueeter wrote:
If you have the FF expansion for AtB2, you can create additional FF's to your heart's content.

I have Firefight generator and the solo expansion on my radar, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
I am sure they are awesome, but there is just something about the feel of a nicely planned and prepared and researched scenario that I don't have to do anything more than setup and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cairo
United States
Brookville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Playing Wargames Since 1976 (image from Rand Games Associates)
mbmbmbmbmb
pisqueeter wrote:

... Given the amount of time it takes new games to get released, it could be years for even the D-Day title and years after that for anything else. Just guessing though.

It is a pity that Uwe takes so long to get a game developed. CoH is withering on the vine a bit since so much time elapses between game releases. I did do the Guadalcanal pre-order so hopefully we will see it in a few months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RCairo wrote:
pisqueeter wrote:

... Given the amount of time it takes new games to get released, it could be years for even the D-Day title and years after that for anything else. Just guessing though.

It is a pity that Uwe takes so long to get a game developed. CoH is withering on the vine a bit since so much time elapses between game releases. I did do the Guadalcanal pre-order so hopefully we will see it in a few months.

...ummmm, Guadalcanal has been released. If you pre-ordered and have not received your copy you might want to contact Academy Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cairo
United States
Brookville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Playing Wargames Since 1976 (image from Rand Games Associates)
mbmbmbmbmb
Sayburr wrote:
RCairo wrote:
pisqueeter wrote:

...ummmm, Guadalcanal has been released. If you pre-ordered and have not received your copy you might want to contact Academy Games.

You are absolutely correct. I was thinking of the 1757game that I preordered recently; I did get Guadalcanal. However, it took several years for Guadalcanal to get released. Academy Games has extremely high production values but development speed is glacial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wont sit here and say that Academy Games is an olympic sprinter when it comes to developing and producing games, miles from it but what they do put out is usually top notch. My understanding of Guadal's delay was due in part to the reworking and redesigning of the 2nd edition games to work with the firefight generator(s) and especially the A.I. of the solo expansion(s). Uwe and crew designed a system, had it ready for production, but then found a better way of doing things and wanted to make sure it would work with all their other COH games.

Yes I would like to see more, but I think that for COH, one major new release and maybe one or two expansions or re-releases a year is at the upper end of expections in order to maintain the quality. They have other lines of games as well to produce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Academy Games a lot and the digital version of 1775 was a blast even though I initially thought that 1775 was too gamey to be a good wargame.

But 2 things I wanted to add:

1. Academy Games have a rather huge schedule/planning problem as it takes often 3-4 years before a new planned game comes along and that sucks.

2. They have this FALSE "gamey" impression to their games because they are not a "pure" wargaming company and indeed make games PLAYABLE without resorting to 100 pages of rules and 2 dozen of Combat Result Tables you find in most wargames .... that really add very little to your final die rolls ....

I am quite sure if the COH solo system were published by GMT, it would have been THE DE FACTO standard of solo wargaming by a long shot.

Yes, the CoH system is that good, it just takes too long to see the next product. Like for instance: the Guadalcanal SOLO expansion is probably a no go until 2018...

Until then we have a Guad rule book that says "for solo play see our upcoming solo expansion"... but that really is an non valid statement as it won't be in our reach for another 2-3 years (instead of months).

And btw they indeed published the best solo system for a wargame ... ever, but Guadalcanal has 3(! sic) firefights without hidden movement, so even for two handed solo play it is practically unplayable in that mode ...

Sigh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.