Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Saw this game at Essen and was very impressed, unfortunately I didn't have time to demo it.

Why do they recommend that the party all have the same alignment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
One point that comes to mind is consistency in story - events can do different things depending upon your alignment, but in a "cosmopolitan" group, which do you use and will it make sense for the party as a whole?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's for thematic reasons, and to make soul choices moments more uniform or compatible with all heroes.

I intend to play somewhere in between the regular rule and the "soul storm" rule, somwthing like every hero can pick its alignment regardless of others' choices, but still have to choose skills and make decisions based on their own alignment when they're the one triggering the event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the lawful/good/whatever the terminology is (I forget) heroes are also a little easier/more forgiving for first-time players, which is why they recommend starting out with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
There seems to be a greater availability of healing abilities on the law side of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rpvt wrote:
There seems to be a greater availability of healing abilities on the law side of things.

Yeah, they're generally more defense oriented, while the other alignment is generally more focused on aggression (and like in GD, aggressive play is a lot less forgiving of mistakes or bad luck, which I suspect is why they recommend going law initially).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Skaak wrote:
rpvt wrote:

Yeah, they're generally more defense oriented, while the other alignment is generally more focused on aggression (and like in GD, aggressive play is a lot less forgiving of mistakes or bad luck, which I suspect is why they recommend going law initially).

To me that suggested there might be some balance issues where some evil character being too strong when supported by lawful characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cormor321 wrote:
To me that suggested there might be some balance issues where some evil character being too strong when supported by lawful characters.

I don't believe the system is like so to prevent game breaking party setups. It's just a theme thing that goes back to old school rpg tropes. The paladin that smite evil wouldn't team up with the necromancer that raises the dead even if they had the same goal of saving the kingdom because they were brought back from the dead for such a purpose. The dreadknight that uses his strength to obtain what he wants wouldn't have trouble working with said necromancer.

The alignment system is just a way to play through the campaign where certain events will play out differently depending on the party's alignment. It also gives us two different playstyle/skillset for a same character. Sure, if you want you could mix and match your party and not care for alignment and then during the campaign decide on the fly if you go through with the lawful or chaotic event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I saw something in Rahdo's Runthrough where a buff was available because the entire party was one alignment or the other. I may have interpreted that wrong though.

P.S. I haven't finished reading the rulebook yet, but presumably the authoritative answer is in there (or on a card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's in the beta rulebook. Here's the ruling :
Quote:

Before the story campaign begins, or before each standalone
quest, players should select heroes according to the soul nature
represented by the available hero cards.
[...]
This means Law and Chaos heroes cannot be members of the same
party, while Neutral heroes can align with either of the other two soul
natures. Once the choice has been made, take the appropriate Hero
Sheets and Soul Gems.

SOUL STORM
By activating this rule, all restrictions due to soul nature are cancelled,
thus:
Heroes in the party may belong to any soul nature.
The Active hero may choose any decision during the soul nature
choice of a story event, without soul nature limitations.
Heroes may acquire all power cards, ignoring soul nature
restrictions.
We suggest using this rule only when you have become familiar with
Sword & Sorcery.

Normally it's restricted but there is an optional rule that allows you to just don't worry about the alignment of your party and you can do whatever you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The choice of the "Soul Nature" has different aspects:
- Make the game more "thematic", have you aver seen a Paladin fighting together with a Necromancer ? (ok you can say... yes... in Diablo II for instance, but this is another story )

- It will enhance the replayability in may ways, different hero powers, different quest-choices, sometimes different quest endings and, in the act II this difference will increase... without spoil too much is something regarding using quest-artifacts, drinking blood or howling to the moon devil

- Starting with a Lawful party as your first game will make the difficult curve more gradual, Law characters are more focused on protection and healing while the chaotic ones usually prefer to be aggressive and make more damages.

- Soul Storm rule allow you to mix the party, personally I don't recommend it on the first play unless you are a GD/Dungeon Crawler veteran, but is always up to you guys cool

Thanks for your support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.