Subject: Obselete, or just no fun? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Hoyt

Durango
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know nothing about Mage Knight, have never played it, nothing, other than seeing it recommended from time to time and a brief pursal of the description here on BGG. So, no ax to grind, just a sincere question below.

On a thread about games you love but will never play again I saw this

TybaltGray wrote:
I am with you on this one! I have boxes and boxes... and more boxes of MK. I used to play this every weekend until WizKids went and killed it. So many fond memories here...

I am still getting some use of it by using the figs in our D&D game, but I really need to sell a good chunk of these off. Sigh...

and I wonder why? Not so much why for this particular user, and not even why for this particular game, because I've seen this same kind of sentiment expressed before for games that have one way or another become no longer supported (which I'm assuming is the case for Mage Knight based on the quote)

But why? Sure, there are no new figures, no new expansions, maybe tournament support gets withdrawn....but if the stuff you already own was generating great fun in years past, why wouldn't it be fun to play again? Is it only fun when adding to the collection?

Like I say, I know nothing of this particular game, and have avoid collectible games in general (which do seem to be the source of this sentiment)...so I'm just curious about this corner of the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played in awhile, but it's not because I don't like the game still, but more that I just haven't had the time. When support died, the people I played with kind of drifted to other things, and at the time my kids weren't quite old enough to really play. My oldest is now getting to be a decent gamer, so I'd love to teach it to her, but there's still a matter of time - it seems the older my kids get, the more time demands they all have (which isn't bad).

I don't plan on getting rid of my stuff anytime soon, but I'm not sure when I'll really be able to play it again, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's weird, I don't play it either anymore. And I used to play it weekly!! With a playing group from about 10 people!!

And we all stopped playing it when Wizkids stopped bringing out expansions.

I think the replayability of the game came from the fact that regularly you get new expansions, so new combo's, new mechanisms... It's like MTG, that game doesn't die because it renews itself every year (or so).

P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
I only played the open-tabletop version of the game a couple times, but loved Dungeons. That got played tons back in college, and I still make a point of playing that at least once or twice per year, although it's almost exclusively solo play now.

The whole "obsolete" or "dead game" thing seems pretty common across the board with collectible games. There's this odd perception that when the company stops making new stuff for a game, everything released previously suddenly becomes unplayable. I never quite understood it, really.

It doesn't happen with any other non-collectible games, even ones that do end up getting a long string of expansions.

Mage Knight is still just as playable as the day the last figure left the assembly line, and unless you purged everything when the game supposedly "died", everything you had during the good times playing in the past is still available. Newer, shinier games may be stealing time away from it these days, but it's still worth another look from time to time. As a bonus, with no tournaments and no constantly changing/updating rules to worry about, you're free to walk the rules you play with back to any format you like: 1.0, 2.0, Dungeons, Conquest, or anything combination in between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After many years, I have gotten back into Mage Knight. I have been playing games with my son, because there are not a lot of players still around, but it has been a lot of fun. The game offers much in terms of tactics, replayability,and diverse elements. I am discovering new tactics and combos I never knew about.

There are some groups that still play the game. and the mkrealms forum still has active posters. I recall one of the members recently had to sell some of his collection because he needed money. Now that his financial position is more secure, he is trying to re-collect what he sold. The game is that fun or important to a number of people.

In fact, there are a few people still trying to collect complete sets, including very rare figures and other items. Now that the game is no longer being produced, it is a bit easier to collect everything, but it is very costly.

I have always been a player rather than a collector. I am enjoying getting out battleplanner and designing armies again, creating new scenarios, and just enjoying the fun of battling another opponent's army. The game still offers a lot for many people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
The system was quite ingenious when it first came out. The clik-base mechanic had a lot of appeal and the movement and combat systems well thought out. Beyond that, being a collectible, tournaments soon devolved into a "suit-case" situation - he who spent the most had the better armies. In this it very much resembled M:tG; plus, like Magic, it was really a two-player tactical engagement or duel. Worst of all however, was the scattered and chaotic manner in which the game was promoted and supported by Wiz-Kids. Those of us who suffered through it remember it well, which was odd considering how well M:tG has been maintained over the years. So, a promising concept for a game quietly passed into obscurity.

In my opinion, Mage Knight Dungeons offered the best mode of play for a group and it provided a lot of interesting layouts and neat items in which to stage an exciting dungeon crawl. You chose your favorite character or Hero within an agreed upon point range, set up the dungeon seeding it with treasure chests and tokens which when encountered would trigger the appearance of an adversary of varying strengths depending on the token and what you have available in the various point ranges, pick an entry point and away went your little party looking for adventure and fortune. Competitive or cooperative scenarios were endless.

I stopped playing and collecting many years ago but I kept a fair amount just to be able to play a dungeon every so often with the grand-kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Rosel
Mexico
flag msg tools
I still play this from time to time with friends, used to play with my ex rarely too. It's quite fun, and you really need to think how to build your army and play it. Yoy don't really need a huge figure lot in order to have fun. But it's nice having a lot, I have many boxes of MK 1.0 figures.

But Wizkids really killed MK 1.0, there are no rules for MK 1.0 anywhere in the Wizkids website, it's like it never existed for them, there is a database for the figures, but with images that don't even load.

MK 2.0 was not bad, but for people like me who started playing MK 1.0. MK 2.0 came out and most of MK 1.0 figures became obsolete.
And there were only MK 2.0 tournaments later, so little by little I stopped playing MK after 2.0.

MK 2.0 was more complex than MK 1.0, I could guess less people played it because of that. And the figures material and painting have less quality, but that's just what happened with collectibles with time. Unless you buy those super expensive Warhammer figures.

So, I believe this MK 1.0 and MK 2.0 mess made less people play with time.

You can buy many MK 1.0 or MK 2.0 lots on ebay and try, just be sure to find the rules and special abilities before you do. Also, some of the lots have just a bunch of common figures, so you have to be careful and find one with unique and common figures so it's worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.