Subject: Identify this mystery sporting activity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb

Hint-- The World Cup of this sport is into the final rounds right now.

Recent Headlines:

India Take on England With Eye on Semis

Iran stunned by Poland but stay on track for final

Answer:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Kabaddi

No, really. Kabaddi.
It's a lot like professional "tag". But with tackling. Without a doubt the strangest "sport" I've ever viewed on TV.

Video highlights. Having the sound on won't mean much; they have distracting background music playing on this video, but you can see some of the action for yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wikipedia has a helpful pictogram of the sport:

Although frankly it looks more like an erotic foot massage to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
(without looking at spoilers)

Kabaddi?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
Okay. Never heard of it.

Now I gotta search for the rules because it's interesting. I need to know how they are scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly confident that this is either Professional Red Rover, Calvin Ball or the International Semi-Final for Advanced Dwarf Tossing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
sunkencheerio wrote:
I'm fairly confident that this is either Professional Red Rover, Calvin Ball or the International Semi-Final for Advanced Dwarf Tossing.

It sure felt that way watching on TV.

Last night Australia was playing Bangladesh. One Australian was teasing the Bangladesh team, who were partners holding hands, by trying to tap his foot over a line and then he'd back off and the rest of them would surround him, and he'd reach out and they'd all back off, and then-- for no apparent reason-- the handholding guys just attack him, and actually ripped his shirt off as he was trying to get away.
The crowd goes nuts and 1 point is awarded to Bangladesh.
The score was 25 - 1 when I turned it off, and Australia was losing players on their team during "raids" and "all outs".

Calvin Ball looks positively sane compared to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cut n' pasted from the wikipedia page:

The teams take turns sending a "raider" into the other half. To win a point, the raider must take a breath, run into the opposing half, tag one or more members of the opposite team, then return to their home half before inhaling again.[20] The raider will chant "kabaddi, kabaddi" with their exhaling breath to show the referee they have not inhaled.[20] The raider will be declared "out" and will not gain the point if they inhale before returning to their side, or returns without touching an opponent.[20] The tagged defender(s) will be "out" if they do not succeed in catching the raider who tagged them.[20] Wrestling the raider to the ground can prevent them escaping before they need to inhale.[20]

laughlaughIT really does sound like Calvinball!! laughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just keep picturing how much more interesting this would be if added ropes like boxing or wrestling and added WWE style wrestling moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
The Patriots engineer the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history and give Brady and Belichek their fifth championship.
mbmbmbmbmb
The time is definitely ripe for a nude co-ed Kabiddi league. Or Beach Kadiddi, which would probably be much the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Kabiddi at my in-laws' family gathering a while back. It was awesome!

BTW, when I saw the title of the thread, and clicked in, I thought, "I wonder if this is about Kabiddi." Yep. It's a but crazy to watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
The time is definitely ripe for a nude co-ed Kabiddi league. Or Beach Kadiddi, which would probably be much the same thing.

I don't know if you're just joking, but there is Beach Kabaddi.
And there are women's teams. No Co-ed professional teams that I know of, but I can imagine there would be "recreational" co-ed teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
That image can be interpreted multiple ways. I suspect the "correct" interpretation is that there's a person on the left holding the leg of the person on the right.

Originally, however, I saw the person on the right as being made up of only the three rightmost bits, bending over, and the person on the left being very friendly with his "leg".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
I'm not your lover. I'm not your friend.
badge
I am something you will never comprehend.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
wmshub wrote:
That image can be interpreted multiple ways. I suspect the "correct" interpretation is that there's a person on the left holding the leg of the person on the right.

Originally, however, I saw the person on the right as being made up of only the three rightmost bits, bending over, and the person on the left being very friendly with his "leg".

Looked to me like someone suffering a kick to the scrotal area. (The figure on the left is even doubling over a bit in reaction. As you do.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
The Patriots engineer the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history and give Brady and Belichek their fifth championship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
wmshub wrote:

Looked to me like someone suffering a kick to the scrotal area. (The figure on the left is even doubling over a bit in reaction. As you do.)

The time is also ripe for a pictogram version of the Kama Sutra. This pic could be on the cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
wmshub wrote:

The time is also ripe for a pictogram version of the Kama Sutra. This pic could be on the cover.

Yeah, I said "Erotic foot massage" because to me it looks like the person on the right is lying down with their legs spread, and the person on the left is sitting/reclining as they massage the left foot. Perhaps the person on the right has their eyes closed, sighing gently...ahhhh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
wmshub wrote:

Yeah, I said "Erotic foot massage" because to me it looks like the person on the right is lying down with their legs spread, and the person on the left is sitting/reclining as they massage the left foot. Perhaps the person on the right has their eyes closed, sighing gently...ahhhh...

I should make this into a microbadge.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
boomtron wrote:

BTW, when I saw the title of the thread, and clicked in, I thought, "I wonder if this is about Kabiddi." Yep. It's a but crazy to watch.

Had the same thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This should be played in a vacuum with masks from above (like airplane masks) that aren't long enough to go to the other side. Teams would be taking masks off and putting them back on and you'd have to guess who's actually going to raid, and who can really go without breathing, etc. It's the only way to prevent cheating. You can't take a breath until you get back to your side and reach your mask. If you don't... well - you're out (likely quite literally) just like the "rules" want.

I suspect this will be all the rage as the next hottest theme at next year's Spiel. "hold breath" will be the next "deck builder" mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping for Kosho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
I was hoping for Kosho.

I was hoping for Buzkashi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:
I was hoping for Kosho.

I was hoping for Buzkashi

That's just polo by another name!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, I feel like the headless goat carcasse isn't really present in polo? wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
I don't know, I feel like the headless goat carcasse isn't really present in polo? wow

Ball. Goat carcass. Same difference. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wtf? When you realize there are sports that you didn't even know about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.