Subject: Tell Avalon Hill What You Think! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: AvalonHill [+] marketing [+] [View All]
Nathan Heiss
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Hello BoardGameGeek.com readers!

Avalon Hill would like to hear your thoughts about one of our favorite games: Acquire.

When going through the rules of the game we noticed a rule that may not have lined up with the expectations of players. To see if this is an opportunity to improve the game, we wanted to pose the question to you, the board gaming community to get a better idea of the situation.

Here is the rule in question:

"The game ends when one player, during his/her turn, announces that either all the active corporations are safe or that one corporation has 41 or more tiles on the gameboard. A player does not have to announce that the game is over if it is to his/her advantage to continue playing. After announcing that the game is over, the player may finish the turn."

Specifically the question pertains to the last sentence, "After announcing that the game is over, the player may finish the turn." This means that in the right circumstance, a player could, at the beginning of their turn, announce that all the corporations on the board are safe, and that the game will end. They may then start a new un-safe corporation. At the end of their turn the game would end and they would get both the primary and secondary payouts for the new corporation.

We at Wizards found that many people did not know about this loophole. So we pose the question for the community to voice an opinion on the following options:

1) Leave the current rule to stay as-is.

2) Change it so that a player may only end the game at the end of their turn.

Let us know what you think!

Thanks,

-Nate Heiss
Developer,
Avalon Hill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Giersch
United States
Saukville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry that I cannot tell you what I think because I have yet to play the game. But I sure want to! Does your asking this question mean that the game will be reprinted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Forrest
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wasn't aware of the loophole either, but it smacks of cheesiness. If somebody in our group had tried to use it, we would have insisted upon a house rule to close it.

Thus, my vote is for option #2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Lin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reprint!!

that is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ferro
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mb
I never noticed this loophole, and have always played that you make the decision to end the game at the end of the turn anyways. I would have no problem with a rule that clarified this.

P.S. Our favorite part of the game is saying "I choose to not notice that the game is over" when opting to continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, great to see WOTC here asking for input! That is great! As to the specific Acquire question. If it was my decision, I'd leave the original rule but add a note pointing out the loop hole and suggesting the change you mention. So I guess my vote is for #1 and #2 I like being able to see the original and having a suggestion for a change and being able to decide which works best for my game group. It seems like you could distill your question posted here to a couple of lines that could easily fit in a new rule book.
Cheers,
David

edit: spelling oopsy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the real difference between the loopholed rule and option #2? Okay, so I see that I can declare the game over - does it matter if I do it before starting the new corporation or afterwards? The end result is the same. I've always thought the rule was that the decision was made at the beginning of a player's turn in lieu of placing tiles or purchasing stock.

As both options #1 and #2 are essentially the same, I abstain from this vote. Great to hear that Wizards is interested in a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, even if you choose #2, you can't get rid of the situation you described entirely- if one of the corporations is at 41 or more tiles, you could start up a new corp, get the free share, and then declare the game over.

That being said, I do think that it would be a good idea to close the loophole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hanley
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I vote for option #2.

Now release the game already!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
BeachBoy3000 wrote:
reprint!!

that's is all.

amen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ting Pong IP
Hong Kong
Lai Chi Kok
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi AH, it's great that you raise this question. I have a discussion with my friends about that before and we have yet to arrive a consensus.

I will vote for option #2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Messenger
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for option 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Helms
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the motion about a company caring about what gamers think about their game. In my experience playing Acquire, the example you gave has never happened. In all the games I have played where there is a corporation with 41+ tiles in it, there has not been another spot on the board to form a corporation... much less a single tile sitting somewhere with room for a tile beside it. In addition to that, there would have to be 6 or fewer corporations on the board. I'd guess that the instance in which this would occur would be rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of changing the rule so that a player can only end the game at the end of their turn (which still benefits them if there's a corporation at 41 or more tiles as others have already stated), if you want to fix this "problem" you could add a caveat to the rule in question that is worded along these lines:

"If a player declares that the game is ended in this fashion, that player may not begin a new corporation that turn."

In this way, the loophole is closed.

However, I'm not convinced that this loophole is a major problem, anyway. If a player is able to create a corporation that late in the game, it couldn't be very big, could it? Meaning that the primary and secondary payouts wouldn't be very large for this newly-created corporation.

In the end, it doesn't seem to be overpowered or imbalancing. My opinion: I'd leave it as it is.

-Z
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Spence
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reprint Dune & expansions.... please.
Pretty Please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateHeiss wrote:
...Avalon Hill would like to hear your thoughts about one of our favorite games: Acquire.

When going through the rules of the game we noticed a rule that may not have lined up with the expectations of players. To see if this is an opportunity to improve the game, we wanted to pose the question to you, the board gaming community to get a better idea of the situation.

Here is the rule in question:

"The game ends when one player, during his/her turn, announces that either all the active corporations are safe or that one corporation has 41 or more tiles on the gameboard. A player does not have to announce that the game is over if it is to his/her advantage to continue playing. After announcing that the game is over, the player may finish the turn."

Specifically the question pertains to the last sentence, "After announcing that the game is over, the player may finish the turn." This means that in the right circumstance, a player could, at the beginning of their turn, announce that all the corporations on the board are safe, and that the game will end. They may then start a new un-safe corporation. At the end of their turn the game would end and they would get both the primary and secondary payouts for the new corporation.

We at Wizards found that many people did not know about this loophole. So we pose the question for the community to voice an opinion on the following options:

1) Leave the current rule to stay as-is.

2) Change it so that a player may only end the game at the end of their turn.

Let us know what you think!...

It seems to me that the game ends immediately when a game-ending situation is announced. There is encouragement not to announce it until it is advantageous to do so. But then wiggle room is offered that you can complete your turn anyway--and create unsafe companies for your own advantage, if you can-- regardless of when it is announced.

I think I've played in some games where that has happened, but I would prefer an unambiguous statement of Option #2 so that when the game is over, all play ends immediately and you go to end-of-game scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's the spirit...welcome a developer from a game company to BGG with off topic comments to his pertinent questions. That'll surely draw more business folks to involve the gamer community here. thumbsup Way to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimbo Carroll
United States
Garland,
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for option 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Osiowy
Canada
winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, option #2 is way better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl huber
England
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reprint and I'll let you know! I've been itching to buy this game for a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Brown
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
But don't be fooled by the radio, the TV, or the magazines. They'll show you photographs of how your life should be but they're just someone else's fantasies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate,

I have played Acquire for 30 years and I agree with option 2. The group that I played with never allowed the creation of a corp at the end like that but option 2 is better than the house rules that we come up with.

Also, let me say that I had heard rumors about the reprint and I am happy to see it is true. Can you provide us any other details about the componets, board size, etc... ? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it really matters, but if pressed I'd go with what's behind door #2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 1: leave the rule as is. In the example you give, the previous player could have ended the game, but elected not to. The new player should have the same option, but with a bonus. In my experience, all the players know when the criteria for ending the game have been met, and the only reason not to end the game at the end of one's turn is the hope that the game will come full circle to that player's benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Option #2 has my vote!!

And a reprint would be nice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Carlson
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't even know about the "deny reality" rule... sounds festive.

I'd vote for #2..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.