Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have convinced myself that “we” are all “[human] beings” if one may speak of canine, bovine and sea-mammalian “subjectivity”.
There are “just” variations in genetics and “society”.
My “conviction” provokes ideas about “correct” behavior from diet to any residual biosphere on Mars.
Otherwise, I am guided the law (Kentucky Revised Statutes, tribal custom, supplication to my gods, etc.) and a practiced indifference to my “conviction”.

Concerning “our” future…
I am disturbed by the idea that there have been no “profound” scientific discoveries in the last 125 years, not for lack of trying. Everything we presently have is “just” an studied exploration and expansion of what there was to “know” in 1900 (CE).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
George Brinton wrote:
I am disturbed by the idea that there have been no “profound” scientific discoveries in the last 125 years, not for lack of trying. Everything we presently have is “just” an studied exploration and expansion of what there was to “know” in 1900 (CE).

Quantum mechanics? Special and general relativity? Genetics? The entire field of computing? Massive changes in psychology? The big bang? Black holes? Quasars?

I guess I'm not sure what you consider profound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
bjlillo wrote:
Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates? - Morons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:
George Brinton wrote:

Quantum mechanics? Special and general relativity? Genetics? The entire field of computing? Massive changes in psychology? The big bang? Black holes? Quasars?

This is all old stuff, derived since 1900 by continued examining and experimenting with these matters.
You realize of course, for example, that the telegraph is essentially the use of electric current to operate electro-servo mechanisms ...and that computers are nothing more than an expansion of that. (mechanical hand-driven computers are even older than the telegraph.
Oh, and quasars affect no one, no more than Mars has ever done.
Linnaeus started genetics, Leeuwenhoek started germ theory...
Curie purified the crap in pitchblende that was exposing adjacent photographic plates. Fermi concentrated it.
And Edison's illuminating globes are just hot wires in a Crooke's Tube.
Oh, and now we know why Mercury is 90 seconds "late" every Century.
Einstein described it.

What is NEW under the Sun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the OP's profound abuse of quotation marks, I think he's probably enjoying some of the 20th and 21st centuries' developments in mind-altering substances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
George Brinton wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:
George Brinton wrote:

This is all old stuff, derived since 1900 by continued examining and experimenting with these matters.
You realize of course, for example, that the telegraph is essentially the use of electric current to operate electro-servo mechanisms ...and that computers are nothing more than an expansion of that. (mechanical hand-driven computers are even older than the telegraph.
Curie purified the crap in pitchblende that was exposing adjacent photographic plates. Fermi concentrated it.
Einstein described it.

Quantum mechanics. He repeats.
In 1900 there was only classical mechanics.
No QM, no transistors, Computers are not just an expansion of vacuum tubes.
Also we didn't remotely understand the structure of the atom 150 years ago.
You also have no idea what Fermi did clearly.
And Linnaeus did not start genetics, he classified, which is rather a different thing. And Leeuwenhoek did not start germ theory.
For someone who is convinced that nothing has changed in science you sure are ignorant of the subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
George Brinton wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:
George Brinton wrote:

Einstein described it.

New in that not in some way connected to anything we knew before? Well, nothing I suppose.

But could you give me an example of the kind of thing you mean before 1900? Because it seems to me that the reasons you give above for ruling out the things you mentioned could be applied to mean there hasn't been anything profound discovered since we crawled out of the ocean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:
George Brinton wrote:

Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates? - Morons.

Since your mind is clearly greater than those you call morons xcould you explain what the fuck you mean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
To quote the Brits:

"I have no idea what the OP is going on about"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
"I" am "alarmed" by the "number" of "quotations".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:
George Brinton wrote:

Since your mind is clearly greater than those you call morons xcould you explain what the fuck you mean?

FightCityMayor even spoiled the joke above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:

Since your mind is clearly greater than those you call morons xcould you explain what the fuck you mean?[/q]

It's a quote from the greatest movie ever made. It may actually be the pinnacle of human achievement over the last 150 years.[/q]

This is true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
bjlillo wrote:
It's a quote from the greatest movie ever made. It may actually be the pinnacle of human achievement over the last 150 years.

Animal House?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
lfisher wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:
George Brinton wrote:

FightCityMayor even spoiled the joke above.

Serious jerkiness there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean there are still people who have never seen that movie?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
batman wrote:
You mean there are still people who have never seen that movie?

Shoot, if Trump proposed a special deportation force to get those people out of the country, he'd have my vote in a heartbeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmb
I'm 46 and still alive....PROGRESS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh facepalm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
remorseless1 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
It's a quote from the greatest movie ever made. It may actually be the pinnacle of human achievement over the last 150 years.

Animal House?
~"Over? Was it OVER when that Crazy-German "Bombs" Pearl Bailey EVERY December 7th henceforth?!?"
sauron ~"AYE SEENS HIM!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And Linnaeus did not start genetics, he classified, which is rather a different thing. And Leeuwenhoek did not start germ theory.
For someone who is convinced that nothing has changed in science you sure are ignorant of the subject.

1)Einstein describes the photoelectric effect which leads to Planck's Constant which is essentially the Quantization of light [energy]
2) transistors are just solid materials (rather than non-oxidizing gases) that block or permit the flow of current from point A to point B by using a controlling 3rd current. The Deforest triode, studied and dismissed by Edison.
3)Linneaus described the mathematical and proportional relationships between floral parent characteristics and progeny through generations of descent.
4) Leeuwenhoek examined the [microscopic] "animicules" that he could see floating between two glass slides he held up to the light.
5)Fermi got a sustained chain reaction going under the bleachers at the University of Chicago using Uranium like "Curie's" pitchblende.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
George Brinton wrote:

1)Einstein describes the photoelectric effect which leads to Planck's Constant which is essentially the Quantization of light [energy]
2) transistors are just solid materials (rather than non-oxidizing gases) that block or permit the flow of current from point A to point B by using a controlling 3rd current. The Deforest triode, studied and dismissed by Edison.
3)Linneaus described the mathematical and proportional relationships between floral parent characteristics and progeny through generations of descent.
4) Leeuwenhoek examined the [microscopic] "animicules" that he could see floating between two glass slides he held up to the light.
5)Fermi got a sustained chain reaction going under the bleachers at the University of Chicago using Uranium like "Curie's" pitchblende.

Boring Troll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
To be fair, nothing actually has changed in physics or chemistry or biology over the last several millenia.

laughlaughlaugh

True!

It is only what we understand that changed... not the actual reality.

But the OP is still just silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
To be fair, nothing actually has changed in physics or chemistry or biology over the last several millenia.

Clever, but technically incorrect. Physics is the study of physical properties; Chemistry is the study - or science - of chemicals; Biology is the study of lifeforms and their chemistries.

So actually, grammatically, indubitably, they have changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Meerkat wrote:
laughlaughlaugh

True!

It is only what we understand that changed... not the actual reality.

But the OP is still just silly.
"Sixth Senses" were being considered as FACT! Of course, 'moi' HATH these "go too 11" on account of; "it is what it is!" whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.