Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody have any good ideas?

I'm looking for a game or two to play in a hot tub with 1 or 3 other people (opposite gender pairs). Does such a game exist? A couple of the other people like Settlers, but they aren't hardcore gamers or anything. Something cheap and/or in print/readily available would be ideal, but I'd appreciate any ideas!

Connect Four?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sifu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Before the recommendations for Pecking Order, etc. start flowing in, let me suggest party games as being the category of game where you will most likely find something.

You could modify Time's Up to be playable in the water, and that would probably be a lot of fun. Other than some variation of charades, though, it's hard to think of something that will work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cole
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we need to tell you you shouldn't have a hot tub
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It ain't listed on the 'Geek and is probably more fun than ANYTHING you will find in the database!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Hide the salomi comes to mind but other have beaten me to the punchline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Truth or Dare??

Seriously though they make water proof UNO cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a time for boardgaming, and there's a time for interacting with your pals in some other fashion.....

I'm thinking a hot tub is one of the latter situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hay guys! Me, my girl and another couple are planning on getting naked in bed together and we just cannot decide if we should play Tigris & Euphrates or Puerto Rico. I'm thinking it will be hard to keep the bits from sliding all around. Any suggestions!!?? Velcro on the chits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
twister the snorkel edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh

I have thought of waterproof cards or something. Maybe Uno, or a standard card deck game. Maybe something like Werewolf (doesn't need any components), but that can be played with only four people (so not Werewolf). We are just dating, so we will be keeping our suits on, for sure.

In retrospect, perhaps I should of left 'connect four' out of the original post. blush

They don't make Twister: hot tub edition, do they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I promise I will not kill you until you reach the top.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mb
I think if you had something to float it on Blokus would work really well. The pieces and board are plastic. Might have to keep you remaining pieces on the edge of the tub or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, in all seriousness, for 2 players--backgammon. You need a floating edition, which I have, and it's cool as can be. The board is styrofoam and floats, and there are floating styrofoam dice cups too. I have played in swimming pools, and would totally play in a hot tub if I had one. Not sure where you can get a set, though--I got mine off ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could make a water proof version of any game in your collection, but you may want to limit yourself to games with smallish boards. You could use a floating tray to place the board on.

I suggest making the pieces magnetic instead of using velcro. That way the pieces will be heavier, thicker, and a bit easier to handle with damp fingers. Also, velcro traps water and will be more difficult to dry out.

If you don't want to mess with a board and bits, then try games that consist mostly of cards. That way you only have to worry about laminating the cards.

Some good party games would be Apples to Apples and Wits & Wagers. Apples to Apples consists only of cards, so no board or little bits to worry about. Wits & wagers would require the use of grease pencils instead of dry erase markers; one person would place and track the bets for all players using a nearby wall mounted board.

Fairy Tale and BANG! would make pretty good games, but for Bang each player would needs his/her own tray to lay out cards that are in play, and some people like more than four players for Bang.

If you want to be thematic, then a naval game would be nice. However, I don't have any specific suggestions.

edit: fix game links

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And it's not just me! The Association of Pool and Spa Professionals (I swear I am NOT making this up, google it for yourself if you don't believe me) says:
"There are many floating games and fun floating objects designed for use in spas and hot tubs. For instance, you can try your hand at floating backgammon or checkers while you relax on an inflatable cushion. Naturally, there are floating trays for cold drinks or a snack. Plus, there are water toys of all kinds, from ships to small beach balls. You can have plenty of fun when friends or family soak together."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark D. Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife enjoys Bathtub Love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Footsie?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
If you procure an inflatable table I bet you could play 3D settlers of catan with the deluxe all-plastic pieces pretty successfully. You'd just need to get a spare set of cards and laminate them.

IIRC Gloom has cards made entirely of plastic and would be waterproof, but I hear its a pretty mediocre game.

Wow. That was the most boring reply this thread has had yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sub Attack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How waterproof is Pirates of the Spanish Main?

That might have too much of a toy factor for casual gamers (and possibly too hard of a ruleset...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arcadian Del Sol
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco Polo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Harkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WalkerRedEye wrote:
twister the snorkel edition?

Nooo!! Do not twist the snorkel!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Aarontu wrote:
I'm looking for a game or two to play in a hot tub with 1 or 3 other people (opposite gender pairs).

Yeah!

Oh - "opposite gender pairs", sorry, can't help you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:
Footsie?

You may be onto something.

CDRodeffer wrote:
My wife enjoys Bathtub Love.

This 'game' looks pretty good, but I'm afraid I'm not married to either of the girls. It seems more like a two player game, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This 'game' looks pretty good, but I'm afraid I'm not married to either of the girls. It seems more like a two player game, anyway.

!!!

well anyway.

I think floating Hive would be pretty cool.

Big floaty pieces, and maybe like magnets on the sides so they'll hold together, or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anni Foasberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strangely, this question has been asked before...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/9583

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.