1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Why are games so cheap in North America? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: slater_mentions_RSP [+] [View All]
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am struggling to see how retailers can justify the differences in prices between NA and Europe especially as most of the games are made and shipped from China, so can somebody enlighten me please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pasmeny
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know what you consider cheap. But games have risen by 25% at my FLGS over the last year.

I used to be able to get a game for $55 - $65...now the standard is $75 - $100!

Online discounting is a different animal...and "stores" offer lower prices as they have minimized their overhead and most operate as a warehouse where orders are simply picked. You do not have the same overhead as a retail store and they follow the model of "low margins, high volume" which is great for them UNLESS the high volume stops...

meeplemeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cause MERICA!!!

USA! USA! USA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
To offset the price of pharmaceuticals.
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the supply chain is a bit more complicated than
make product -> give to costumer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the real question is: why are games so expensive outside of North America?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bpasmeny wrote:
Don't know what you consider cheap. But games have risen by 25% at my FLGS over the last year.

Online discounting is a different animal...and "stores" offer lower prices as they have minimized their overhead and most operate as a warehouse where orders are simply picked. You do not have the same overhead as a retail store and they follow the model of "low margins, high volume" which is great for them UNLESS the high volume stops...

meeplemeeple

That's because we are Canadian and sad. The Americans do not have this problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
Haven't you heard about how high taxes are in Europe compared to the US? That is part of the reason. Another is shipping costs, both in further to go or shipping is more expensive within Europe for various reasons.

Then you have strength of the $ vs Euro which of course changes all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To try and give us a reasonable pastime so we can ignore the election?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Because we pay for our own health care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
Jorath wrote:
I am struggling to see how retailers can justify the differences in prices between NA and Europe especially as most of the games are made and shipped from China, so can somebody enlighten me please?

1. As others have said the USA does not have a VAT and in the States that have sales tax the sales tax is not listed in the displayed price. (Guessing that you are in France due to the flag on your profile, that's difference of 20% due to VAT I believe)

2. Are you talking about differences in MSRP or in store prices? Here in the US we have many online stores that are discounting from MSRP, if you're comparing that online price to your local brick and mortar store you may easily see a +15-35% difference in price.

3. If you're buying games in French (again guessing from your flag) if the game wasn't designed in French then there are translation costs and costs of lower print runs due to a smaller market for French translations then for example English.

VAT=Value Added Tax
MSRP=Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Weiler
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorath wrote:

Is the general pricing really that different? At least most German stores seem to offer games at a comparable price point if it's the localized version.

A difference in price is understandably existing if the games in question were imported from the USA (either bulk shipped from China to the US or locally printed). Shipping is expensive, a slight increase in price should be expected. Especially so since the number of imported games will probably be relatively small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:

We have a cheaper postal system.

Really? oO I always had the impression shipping within or from the US is super expensive compared to our rates (Germany) or Canadian shipping rates.

Using DHL as a private person within Germany has varying prices from around 4€ for 1kg up to 15€ for 31,5kg. Within Europe it's not much different from that, I think I paid about 17€ when sending a 30kg package to a friend in Portugal. I pay 6€ shipping when I order from any other European Amazon besides Amazon DE. I've paid around 6€ for shipping when ordering from Canada as well. But America? From my experience usually around $10-20 (9-18€) IF I use my aunts US address for shipping (unless there's a min. order total that gives you free shipping within the US) and $20-40+ (18-36€) if I chose to ship it to Germany directly. That feels rather expensive to me. :/

I also don't feel like board games are much cheaper in the US compared to Europe - prices for new medium to big games are usually around 40-70€ ($45-75) and they drop quite quickly after that. You can usually get them for 20-50% less not even 6 months later. So yeah, like I said, to me it doesn't really feel like board games are so much cheaper in the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using Amazon as a basis.
Mansions of madness 2

USA 75.02 USD
France 104.32 EUR

75.02 USD x1.097 = 82.28 EUR
82.28 x 1.19 (VAT) = 97.91 EUR

104-98 = 6 EUR or 6%. This could easily be transportation supply/demand issues. etc.

In my state that 75.02 -> 79.77 USD or 87.50 EUR

So yeah, free healthcare, etc.

If it helps according to the BIG MAC index things are cheaper in France
4.51 vs 5.04
oops I did my math backwards!

That should be
75 _> 68.37 -> 81.36
so yes much more expensive. Just one look!

Looking a bit closer, it looks like MOM is selling at MSRP in France while it is discounted in USA. If I use the MSPR of 99.95 then the USA would be more expensive after taxes.

So it may be more discounters?
Would have to do more thorough analysis as this is just one data point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Mc Donald
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Jorath wrote:
Long story short: You are over-taxed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Jorath wrote:
Long story short: You are over-taxed.

I'll take health care and accept taxes, personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Weiler
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:
So it may be more discounters?
Would have to do more thorough analysis as this is just one data point.

It depends a lot on the games, the presence of a localized version (Mansions of Madness 2 doesn't seem to have one yet) and the size of the market.

To give you a counter example:

Ticket to Ride Europe costs 36,96 USD in the USA Amazon store. The German localized version costs 28,79 € (= 31,62 USD)... so less.

For other kinds of games like Star Wars Rebellion you'd have to pay up to 10 USD more at the German Amazon store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference appears to be more pronounced with the discounters. And I guess stores like MM or CSI that service all of the US get higher volumes than European stores that often serve little more than their own country.
It hurts me the most when I look at the Geekmarket, though. The price for many games in Europe is often double the US prices
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are games actually cheaper in North America? I mean, surely they're cheaper than in some places, but comparing Western Europe to North America, is there really a huge price difference?

Pete (has no idea, but would like to know)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:
Using Amazon as a basis.
Mansions of madness 2

USA 75.02 USD
France 104.32 EUR

75.02 USD x1.097 = 82.28 EUR
82.28 x 1.19 (VAT) = 97.91 EUR

104-98 = 6 EUR or 6%. This could easily be transportation supply/demand issues. etc.

In my state that 75.02 -> 79.77 USD or 87.50 EUR

So yeah, free healthcare, etc.

Keep in mind that this game hasn't been published outside the US, so it's not the greatest example, since it's an import.

Here a few examples of games that have either been out for a while or have been released in the US/EU at the same time:

I'm using amazon.com and amazon.de for the comparison.

A Feast for Odin / Ein Fest fuer Odin

(both not directly from Amazon, prices include shipping)

US: $114.48 = 104,22€
DE: 74,80€ = $82.16

Big Book Of Madness / Grimoir des Wahnsinns

(both directly from Amazon with free shipping)
Both games are reduced on amazon, US: 30% off, DE: 9% off

US: $27.27 = 24,82€
DE: 31,95€ = $35.09

T.I.M.E. Stories

(both directly from Amazon with free shipping)
Both games are reduced on amazon, US: 19% off, DE: 11% off

US: $40.51 = 36,87€
DE: 39,99€ = $43,92

I'd say in general there's not that much of a difference and since I haven't applied any taxes/VAT to the American prices there's some more variation in prices due to that anyway. Feast for Odin is super expensive in the US, the European version isn't cheap either (for EU standards), but the difference in price between US/EU is quite drastic. But as far as I've heard Z-Man sell their games at higher prices than other publishers, so if that's true then that would be an explanation for that. ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
miruki wrote:

I'd say in general there's not that much of a difference and since I haven't applied any taxes/VAT to the American prices there's some more variation in prices due to that anyway. Feast of Odin is super expensive in the US, the European version isn't cheap either (for EU standards), but the difference in price between US/EU is quite drastic. But as far as I've heard Z-Man sell their games at higher prices than other publishers, so if that's true then that would be an explanation for that.

A Feast for Odin looks to be out of stock from most places so I'd guess it's getting a price bump due to lack of other options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dylan benton
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
America loves luxury items. The rest of the world has their priorities all screwed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexangiraffe wrote:
bpasmeny wrote:

meeplemeeple

That's because we are Canadian and sad. The Americans do not have this problem.

I miss when the exchange rate was closer to par. I was spoiled then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skyguard wrote:
miruki wrote:

I'd say in general there's not that much of a difference and since I haven't applied any taxes/VAT to the American prices there's some more variation in prices due to that anyway. Feast of Odin is super expensive in the US, the European version isn't cheap either (for EU standards), but the difference in price between US/EU is quite drastic. But as far as I've heard Z-Man sell their games at higher prices than other publishers, so if that's true then that would be an explanation for that.

A Feast for Odin looks to be out of stock from most places so I'd guess it's getting a price bump due to lack of other options.

Yeah CSI Has Feast for 65.99 with free shipping on orders over $100, but it's currently out of stock.

With shipping another 10-15 USD? so yes comparable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was A Feast for Odin that prompted this , I saw it priced around 60-65 dollars but re-checking the lower prices are out of stock and the ones with it in stock are charging a lot higher. So I may have paid a little too much at 95 euros but I am consoling myself with the fact that the free shipping is probably worth 20-30 on such a heavy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.