Subject: [Chicagoland] Cheap Mayfair Games at Salvation Army. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Looks like Mayfair did another Charity dump.
Saw many copies (8-20 each) of the following Mafair games at the Oak Park Salvation Army Location on Roosevelt Road.

-Revolution The Dutch Revolt
-Shear Panic
-The Pillars of the Earth: Builder's Duel
-Patrician

Priced 6-8 bucks each.

If it's anything like the past, there will be similar selections (though possibly some different games and different prices) at other area Salvation Army stores. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Chicagoland] Cheap Mayfair Games
Salvation Army this time instead of Savers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barth
United States
Aurora
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Safe to assume you mean Savers again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
suggestion: see
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1417183/what-hot-deal
for suggestions for what to include in a hot deals post... ie. retailer for example
eilif wrote:
Looks like Mayfair did another Charity dump.
Saw many copies (8-20 each) of the following Mafair games at the Oak Park Location.

-Revolution The Dutch Revolt
-Shear Panic
-The Pillars of the Earth: Builder's Duel
-Patrician

Priced 6-8 bucks each.

If it's anything like the past, there will be similar selections (though possibly some different games and different prices) at other area Salvation Army stores. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.E. Pennypacker
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope these eventually end up on Amazon 3rd parties listings. I would get Revolution for cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would assume Salvation Army on Roosevelt??? I rarely have luck over there, though I did find a Settlers of Catan there once.

Don't recall a Savers in that area [though there is one in Franklin Park; however I don't recall seeing much mayfair dump over there outside of a couple of titles]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Sorry about that, I've clarified the Title and OP.

vballboy51 wrote:
Safe to assume you mean Savers again?

Nope. Salvation Army is where I found them and where I've found mayfair dump games in the past.

Not to say they might not also be sent to Savers, but the stores I have found NIB Mayfair games at in the past have been the Salvation army stores in Oak Park on Roosevelt and in Chicago at Grand and Union (near Grand and Halstead).

I just learned that unique is part of the Savers company. There aren't any unique's particularly near me, but I'll have to stop in next time I'm near one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Inception: 01/08/16
mbmbmbmb

Let's see...at $6/box, I could get 135 resin sheep for $100 and finally play Zombicide the way it was meant to be played...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Max
United States
Cinci
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, wouldn't Mayfair gain more positive community goodwill giving these games away to gamers through contests and at conventions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Tuxedomouse wrote:
Wow, wouldn't Mayfair gain more positive community goodwill giving these games away to gamers through contests and at conventions?

Possibly, but that won't get you a tax write-off.

cunning stunt wrote:

Let's see...at $6/box, I could get 135 resin sheep for $100 and finally play Zombicide the way it was meant to be played...

Did you know that Zombie sheep are cannibals?
They'll kill ewe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.E. Pennypacker
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cunning stunt wrote:

Ever see the movie "Black Sheep"? (not the Chris Farley one) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0779982/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuxedomouse wrote:

Some of these games I have seen on their clearance rack at GenCon. It certainly feels like they have a LOT of them sometimes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmb
cunning stunt wrote:

They are quite large and I'm fairly certain aren't resin. I think they're some kind of ceramic, as they seem quite fragile, and are individually packed in bubble wrap sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bgg_Lurker wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:

They are quite large and I'm fairly certain aren't resin. I think they're some kind of ceramic, as they seem quite fragile, and are individually packed in bubble wrap sleeves.

I love them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Inception: 01/08/16
mbmbmbmb
Bgg_Lurker wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:

I'm willing to bet my newly pimped out Zombicide that the material is resin.

It feels a bit like unglazed porcelain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmb
cunning stunt wrote:
Bgg_Lurker wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:

I'll dig it out later, but in the mean time ; I'm not the only one that thinks they're ceramic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I walked over to the one near Grand and Halsted downtown. They have 0 board games in their three floors.

Are these game drops mostly in the suburbs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
cunning stunt wrote:
Bgg_Lurker wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:

One of the sheep in mine (I bought a used copy) was off it's base and it looks like the resin that you find with decorative items at the dollar store. Not the toughest stuff in the world, but not too fragile. Certainly worth it if you can get nice figs like these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bgg_Lurker wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:
Bgg_Lurker wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:

I'll dig it out later, but in the mean time ; I'm not the only one that thinks they're ceramic.

Guarantee it's resin not porcelain. There are plenty of polymer resins that practically mimic porcelain in look and feel which is exactly why resin is the more affordable and common alternative to porcelain veneers in dentistry.

The cost per unit would have been dramatically higher otherwise and Mayfair is hardly known as a company that spares no expense on components.

I'd love a copy of Shear Panic for less than 12 bucks! Wish Mayfair would start dumping their stuff to discount distributors instead of just local shops. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No luck at the Salvation Army location in Oswego, IL. However, I did pick up what looks to be a complete copy of Scotland Yard for $1.97 and a game called Glenn's Gallery from Mayfair that was on sale for $0.48. The game isn't rated very favorably, but after opening it and seeing the cards still in shrink, I'm willing to give up 50 cents for a play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.