BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Data Inquiry! : Highschool Project rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Hollis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm a high school senior working on a project for class. We're looking for data from a larger population than just our school. This survey is asking for question related to a possible peripheral for a table to enhance the quality of playing board/card games.

All responses are welcome

-Thanks

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScxpXxT6AdhZO1bncB5...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking for responses specifically from game designers, or from anyone who plays games? Because if you are looking for anyone, you might want to post this question to the general forums: General Gaming being a good place to start.

Otherwise, you are going to get really skewed results, since those who create board games tend to spend a lot of time testing said board games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've briefed through the survey but haven't yet answered.

I believe that you might want to get your questions checked by your teacher prior to the data collection phase.

Also, by posting here, you're going to get very skewed results compared to "general population".

Specific examples of what I consider poor questions:
Quote:
What is your estimated annual budget on tabletop games? (in USD) *

Your answer

How much does that change each year? *
Very Little
A Lot

Answer #1 is somewhat meaningless without knowing the particpant's available disposable income and will vary greatly and may it difficult to bin your findings later.

I think it may be dangerous to have subjective "a little" or "a lot" be the boundaries of a question. One person's 1% may be another's 25%.

Quote:
Does amount of space ever factor into what/when you play? *
Yes
No
Does set up time ever factor into what/when you play? *
Yes
No

By stating "EVER", you're allowing a single case to push someone from "no" to "yes". This is probably better as a sliding scale.

Quote:
At what stage do you think you lose the most pieces/cards: Set up(a), during game(b), putting away(c), storage(d). Rank 1-4, 4 being the most pieces lost at that stage *

Your answer

Relative ranking probably isn't going to tell you what you're looking to find here. There are better ways to ask this style of question.

Quote:

Do you ever throw out a game because it was damaged or pieces were lost? *
Yes
No
Would you purchase a replacement set? *
Yes
No

Again, "ever" is a black/white situation and will probably skew your results. Also, this question is relatively meaningless without knowing the "throughput" of a gamer's library. A household purchasing 1-2 titles every year is different than a collector purchasing 30+ titles in the same time period. Though the 'how much do you spend' question is attempting to get at that metric, I could spend $1000 on 20 titles, and someone else could spend $200.

Quote:

Do you have one preferred game that you return to more than others? What game? *

Your answer
If no, do you have multiple preferences, or none at all?

Your answer

These two can probably be asked better to allow for the multiple answer easier.

Quote:

How often do you put away a game before finishing? *
Never
Always
Why do you put those games away? Select all that apply
Bored
Frustrated
Not enough time
Other:

And again, I think the audience of those who frequent BGG is going to skew this result pretty hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
I've briefed through the survey but haven't yet answered.

I believe that you might want to get your questions checked by your teacher prior to the data collection phase.

I wanted to stop in and tell you not to let this feedback discourage you. A big portion of what I make a very good living at is designing algorithms and doing data analysis. I can tell you the science behind asking these kinds of questions and getting viable analysis results is not only difficult, but it's on-going as well. There are questions I want to answer in the context of my job for which the analysis science doesn't even exist yet, and there are quite a few conflicting ideas even in the professional analysis community as to how some of those questions should be handled.

So while what bryonczimmer is saying here is correct (you should probably have a discussion about your questions with your teacher), please don't be discouraged by that fact. There's an entire branch of data science hiding behind this feedback which is both deep and wide, and you might not have even known it existed yet. It's an exceptionally cool intersection of statistics, psychology, and research theory, and you should fun exploring it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.