$30.00
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Waitaminute -- we've got troops and planes in the Mideast right? Goddammit, why didn't anyone tell me?????

Nice try. I suggest those people who are telling Obama to "sack up" to grab a rifle and stand post in Aleppo. They can show us how committed they are to saving the Arab world from itself. Otherwise, I'm fine with letting the locals do the dying. They've been at each other throats for 1,500 years. Let them keep at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can remember when the left thought war was bad. Apparently if a Democrat has a war or sex scandal, then they are cool with it.

Obama will server all 8 years at war.Hillary will continue if not escalate that and the anti war left cheers her on.

What a bizarre election.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
I can remember when the left thought war was bad. Apparently if a Democrat has a war or sex scandal, then they are cool with it.

Obama will server all 8 years at war.Hillary will continue if not escalate that and the anti war left cheers her on.

What a bizarre election.

And only the other day you were complaining that Obama cut and run in Iraq.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Mc Donald
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
International military intervention anywhere in the Arab world is a lose-lose situation, especially when politics enter the picture:

Obama puts 'boots on the ground' in Yemen.
OMG, OBAMA, WHY ARE YOU DRAGGING US INTO AN UNPOPULAR WAR THAT THE AMERICAN PUBLIC DOESN'T SUPPORT?!?!?!?!

Obama puts no 'boots on the ground' in Yemen.
OMG, OBAMA, WE NEED TO 'DO SOMETHING' SO WHY DO YOU CONTINUE DITHERING WHEN HUMAN LIVES ARE AT STAKE?!?!?!

Obama sends warships on patrol, launches isolated drone strikes, and provides military assistance to Saudi-led government forces against Iranian-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen:
OMG, OBAMA, WHY ARE YOU ESCALATING YOUR 'SECRET WARS' AND ENABLING A POSSIBLY TEETERING GOVERNMENT THAT WILL JUST TOPPLE ANYWAY THE MINUTE WE LEAVE?!?!?!?!?

So one has to ask one's self: Are you looking for real solutions? Or are you just looking to take easy potshots at a president you simply dislike? Even the article Drew so gleefully quotes basically says, "Yeah, there are no good options here."

But hey, we don't need a reason to bash Obama.
Because I'm sure the minute President Trump is in office every foreign conflict will miraculously solve itself!
Because these are totally easy situations, right?!?
Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:

What a bizarre election.

And only the other day you were complaining that Obama cut and run in Iraq.
'

A legitimate complaint. Had he not, we might not have ISIS today -- or at least at this scope. They filled in the vacuum we left behind.

But that's just Iraq. Surely you don't think that's the only theater we're involved in. Or maybe you do.

The escalating disaster in the middle east would be headline news if a Republican was president.

If it's not headline news then that says something about the wilful ignorance of Americans about things outside the USA, The BBC is leading on Mosul every bulletin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is such a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

I think in order to be so critical of what Obama has done and is doing, you probably need to present a viable alternative.

This weak ass "Obama needs to sack up and really fight" shit sounds like talk from a 13 year old boy. Middle East foreign policy shouldn't be made based on fears that if you don't start bombing people RIGHT NOW someone might think you have a small penis.

Is the solution to Syria full scale ground war against the regime? Against ISIS? Against everyone? What then, we occupy for the next 100 years? If Russia objects do we go to war with them too? In order to prove that we have big penises do we need to start WWIII? How many people do we need to kill to just prove we have average-size penises?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a minute... I thought you conservatives wanted the US to get involved in those wars? Why aren't you celebrating?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

A legitimate complaint. Had he not, we might not have ISIS today -- or at least at this scope. They filled in the vacuum we left behind.

Quote:
1. No, Obama shouldn't shoulder the full burden for the timing of the withdrawal of troops;

2. Yes, a significant American troop presence would have helped slow the growth of ISIS

But with the significant caveat that there were many other factors that enabled ISIS to become strong — and they weren't all predictable in 2011.

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/19/459850716/fact-check-did-obama...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
sfox wrote:
Wait a minute... I thought you conservatives wanted the US to get involved in those wars? Why aren't you celebrating?

What a stupid comment.

What is stupid about it? Oh right, it is because my statement contained factual information right? I'm sorry for using facts in an argument, but sometimes I've just got to pull off such a underhanded tactic since I've got nothing else on my side but the facts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just need someone to tell me if I am ever the victim of a secret drone strike. I likely won't know if I've been drone struck or not unless someone tells me. Secrets are like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Drew1365 wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
Waitaminute -- we've got troops and planes in the Mideast right? Goddammit, why didn't anyone tell me?????

Because Donald Trump is using his mind-control rays.

I KNEW IT!! Where's my tinfoil hat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Because Donald Trump is using his mind-control rays.

I KNEW IT!! Where's my tinfoil hat?

First, they came for the tin foil. But I wasn't psychotic, so I didn't care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
International military intervention anywhere in the Arab world is a lose-lose situation, especially when politics enter the picture:

Obama puts 'boots on the ground' in Yemen.
OMG, OBAMA, WHY ARE YOU DRAGGING US INTO AN UNPOPULAR WAR THAT THE AMERICAN PUBLIC DOESN'T SUPPORT?!?!?!?!

Obama puts no 'boots on the ground' in Yemen.
OMG, OBAMA, WE NEED TO 'DO SOMETHING' SO WHY DO YOU CONTINUE DITHERING WHEN HUMAN LIVES ARE AT STAKE?!?!?!

Obama sends warships on patrol, launches isolated drone strikes, and provides military assistance to Saudi-led government forces against Iranian-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen:
OMG, OBAMA, WHY ARE YOU ESCALATING YOUR 'SECRET WARS' AND ENABLING A POSSIBLY TEETERING GOVERNMENT THAT WILL JUST TOPPLE ANYWAY THE MINUTE WE LEAVE?!?!?!?!?

So one has to ask one's self: Are you looking for real solutions? Or are you just looking to take easy potshots at a president you simply dislike? Even the article Drew so gleefully quotes basically says, "Yeah, there are no good options here."

But hey, we don't need a reason to bash Obama.
Because I'm sure the minute President Trump is in office every foreign conflict will miraculously solve itself!
Because these are totally easy situations, right?!?
Right?

The best part is if you ask any of the right-wingers in RSP what they would do in Syria, Yemen, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. you'll get crickets. That's because there are no easy answers. Any answer they give could be easily attacked.

That's why they throw out potshots. No matter what Obama does in Syria there will likely be negative repercussions. Do nothing, then Assad and Russia destroy the rebels. Support the rebels, then Russia supports Assad and attacks the rebels. Put boots on the ground and we could be mired in another decade long conflict.

It's safe to criticize in RSP when virtually anything we do in the Middle East could have negative consequences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
American presidents and Congresses suffer the same fundamental problem in regards to the Middle East-- colonialist thinking. They believe that they can and should "fix" the ME's problems, as they see them. Yet we the people of the Middle East control our own lives and we have our own understanding of what's going on here, largely at odds with the American version.

If America wants to help, let it seek to broker and support peace, not impose or enforce it. Let the plans for what to do in the Middle East come from those who live here and know the region. America must give up its illusion of control in order to gain the one thing America claims to be seeking here-- good relations. America's leaders must make the difficult decision to trust and to respect non-Americans, even brown ones and/or those without oil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
whac3 wrote:
...trust and to respect non-Americans, even brown ones and/or those without oil.

That's just crazy talk!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
sfox wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
sfox wrote:

What a stupid comment.

What is stupid about it? Oh right, it is because my statement contained factual information right?

No facts at all.

This idea that conservatives want war is just stupid slander.

What conservatives (and I daresay some Democrats, too) want is decisive leadership. Lack of leadership -- the "leading from behind" -- is what has caused things to get to this point.

Saying you want a strong leader is just a way to avoid stating any real opinion on the issue.

What do you think we should do about Japan bombing Pearl Harbor? Oh, we need a strong leader. Should we get out of Vietnam? Oh, we need a strong leader.

Yeah, it just sounds silly and is obviously a way to avoid any real opinion on the issue by saying something obvious. People want a strong leader on almost everything so it's just saying pretty words people want to hear. We want a strong, intelligent, hard-working leader. Great. Good for you, now you can be part of the 99.9% of people who do. Do you actually have any opinion on the issue though?

I can understand why one would want to. It's a situation without a completely clear "best" action. But, pretending that someone with no experience in that area is going to be better (especially someone who has made many naive comments regarding foreign relations and the military) is not the way either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

The escalating disaster in the middle east would be headline news if a Republican was president.

What news sources do you actually take in? The middle east has been a major part of news coverage for quite some time including the three cornered war in Syria and it's refugees and the ongoing campaign against ISIS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

What news sources do you actually take in? The middle east has been a major part of news coverage for quite some time including the three cornered war in Syria and it's refugees and the ongoing campaign against ISIS.

You don't understand. It has to be on the front page of every media outlet every single day for the entirety of the conflict or else Drew believes there is a double standard favoring Democrats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.