Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
https://theconversation.com/first-working-eggs-made-from-ste...

Science continues to prove that life is not magic. How long before we have a "soulless" person created by using skin cells from a dead human and grown inside of a pig? All you religious nuts had better hold onto your favorite religious book because we will have the technology to do that within the next 50 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And you better save up for a flight to Canada for any of this because the Mike Pences of the world will drag us backward from tech like this to avoid angering god.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
It's too bad you couldn't have posted this without poisoning the well in the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:

Science continues to prove that life is not magic. How long before we have a "soulless" person created by using skin cells from a dead human and grown inside of a pig? All you religious nuts had better hold onto your favorite religious book because we will have the technology to do that within the next 50 years.

Meh, they've been moving the goalposts for centuries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So people who hate the overpopulation of our planet are going to create people to disprove God? Yes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
My question is simple: why? Outside of a few thousand children for people who can't reproduce, what is the purpose of this? We already have too many people on this planet, and making people in bed is a hell of a lot more fun than dripping solutions into petri dishes.

Plus, if we make it this easy for childless people to reproduce, what about all the kids who could be adopted who will be shunted off into orphanages, foster homes, etc.?

Interesting idea, but not really seeing a huge upside to this ... unless you're such a dork no one will sleep with you.

EDIT: Thinking about this, I can see where this can be a life saver for people who need organ transplants, maybe even new limbs. So I will back off my condemnation of this idea. Properly done, this could really be helpful for sick people.

But for making people? I'd rather fuck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Genetic engineering! Babies made to order! The next step in human evolution! Everyone gets their own personal clone for organ harvesting! Or brain transplanting! We can live forever!

Etc!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:

Why would they have no soul?

How would you prove they have no soul?

How can you prove you have a soul?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
sfox wrote:

I don't have a soul, I traded it for a hamburger years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:
sfox wrote:

I don't have a soul, I traded it for a hamburger years ago.

Was it a good hamburger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
So people who hate the overpopulation of our planet are going to create people to disprove God? Yes?

That's a lot of assumptions packed into one sentence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to this study 36% of atheists support laws against human cloning.

Why? I don't know. But I'm guessing it's because they believe human cloning will prove that humans do have a soul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rayito2702 wrote:

Why? I don't know. But I'm guessing it's because they believe human cloning will prove that humans do have a soul.

No it's probably because they worry about unintended consequences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rayito2702 wrote:

The potential for growing complete, functioning humans for slaves or spare parts is fairly terrifying.

Growing JUST the spare part without a human attached sounds very handy though.

I don't get the "soul" argument either way though; if people had a "soul", why wouldn't a vat-grown person get one to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Great, since the "free ranging ones" OUTPACE theirs even, from their CAT-'manglings' found frequently around here. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup for posting a fascinating article.

thumbsdownthumbsdown for the gratuitous preemptive strike on the religious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
rayito2702 wrote:

You don't say! I wonder if the religious are similarly unconcerned about human cloning disproving their subjective world view?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

That's a lot of assumptions packed into one sentence.

Bear witness to the OP I was responding to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rayito2702 wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
rayito2702 wrote:

You don't say! I wonder if the religious are similarly unconcerned about human cloning disproving their subjective world view?

There's plenty of precedent for various religious groups acting to block science that disagrees with their worldview.

(I have no idea if cloning does agree with any worldview).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
There's plenty of precedent for various religious groups acting to block science that disagrees with their worldview.

Very true. But as stated earlier:
rayito2702 wrote:
36% of atheists support laws against human cloning.

The reasons for doing so may differ, but blocking science is not the sole domain of the religious. It's not even always bad. Certainly we can agree that science ought to be performed ethically.

Building a consensus on what constitutes ethical science, especially if that research is publicly funded, is a political issue. Poisoning the pot creates political division. Division undermines science as much as any allegedly close-minded religious ideology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sfox wrote:

Yes yes...

Now do it from scratch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's only a matter of time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.