BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Gameplay, Theme, or Graphics? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Crouch

Tennessee
msg tools
designer
Running an informal survey spawned from a conversation with my gaming group. Which is more important to you in a board game.

1. Complete and balanced gameplay that is fun but maybe not so great on graphics and lacks a depth of theme.

2. Amazing immersive theme, but maybe the gameplay is lacking.

3. State of the art graphics and miniatures but shallow gameplay and gaps in the theme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would pick 1, though I always go for theme wherever possible. Glory to Rome is a good example -- I would definitely say it's not a thematic game (by a long shot), but I love the way it looks and the theme feels appropriate to the mechanics. There's a big building emphasis in the mechanics and that meshes well with the 'rebuilding Rome' idea.

As another example, I'd put Escape: The Curse of the Temple as a number 1 (though some may say it's a 2) -- the mechanics are great and fun, and I love the realtime stuff, and it all fits nicely with the theme of escaping from a template, though, for me, the mechanics are still the main thing.
Really thematic or miniature games don't grab me -- I prefer solid mechanics to plastic pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a hard one for me, between one and two. You take the Flying Frog games or Betrayal at House on the Hill that have GREAT theme, but you could argue the mechanics are a little weak..however, these games are plain fun! If I'm stuck with one winner, though, I have to go with gameplay. As far as good components and lacking theme and gameplay, not a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1>2>3
Great gameplay because its a board GAME. If I want theme or graphics over gameplay I'd go with a book or video games.
If the theme is good enough my imagination can paint a better picture than art can. Specifically minis for me, great art on tokens lets my imagination go further than a mini for much less cost.

...reading the responces, I may be giving a factor of "fun" to #1 that other are not, so take my opinion with that grain of salt. There are games out there that can be mechanically complete and balanced but are completely lacking in fun because those mechanics are so dry and bland
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I like things arnmod
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no simple answer. 2. I suppose

I grew up in an era of simple graphics and amateur art so that isn't a turn off for a game. If the art is too gaudy and intrusive, then that is a problem.

A game that is too abstract, too removed from theme, tends not to be fun for me. So 1 is a bit misleading. On the other hand it doesn't have to be perfectly immersed in theme either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
1>2>3
Great gameplay because its a board GAME. If I want theme or graphics over gameplay I'd go with a book or video games.
If the theme is good enough my imagination can paint a better picture than art can. Specifically minis for me, great art on tokens lets my imagination go further than a mini for much less cost.

...reading the responces, I may be giving a factor of "fun" to #1 that other are not, so take my opinion with that grain of salt. There are games out there that can be mechanically complete and balanced but are completely lacking in fun because those mechanics are so dry and bland

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
#1 is most important once I'm already in a position to play the game (either I or a friend own it), but #2 is more likely to get my attention in the first place. Re: #3, I really like artwork, which plays into #2, but miniatures tend to be a turnoff for me because they drive the price up past my comfort zone and I'm not a painter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1>3>2

It's the game design which makes or breaks the game, everything else is nice bonus (I'm saying this a fan of thematic/Ameritrash games).

Having said that, I don't want to miss nice components and at least some theme in my games. It's 2016, damnit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
dustinc109 wrote:
1. Complete and balanced gameplay that is fun but maybe not so great on graphics and lacks a depth of theme.

3. State of the art graphics and miniatures but shallow gameplay and gaps in the theme?

Well, immersion is a problem and something to be avoided. Miniatures are irritating and unacceptably distracting. That just leaves gameplay -- the reason I'm doing anything with the game in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gameplay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This survey is skewed.

You placed the word fun in option 1, but not in the other two options. And use the term lacking and shallow in the other two. Wording makes a difference.

Which is more important to you in a board game.

1. Complete and balanced gameplay that is boring and maybe not so great on graphics and lacks a depth of theme.

2. Amazing immersive theme that is fun, but maybe has complex rules.

3. State of the art graphics and miniatures that are amazing but low on theme and fiddly game play?

FYI, this isn't an example of a better survey, but just how wording would skew answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crouch

Tennessee
msg tools
designer
Excellent point Chris! That wasnt intentional by any means... I guess we can't hide biase regardless of effort. Thanks for the updated verbage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
I like things arnmod
mbmbmbmbmb
Invasion81 wrote:
This survey is skewed.

You placed the word fun in option 1, but not in the other two option. And use the term lacking and shallow in the other two. Wording makes a difference.

Which is more important to you in a board game.

1. Complete and balanced gameplay that is boring and maybe not so great on graphics and lacks a depth of theme.

2. Amazing immersive theme that is fun, but maybe have complex rules.

3. State of the art graphics and miniatures that are amazing but low on theme and fiddly game play?

FYI, this isn't an example of a better survey, but just how wording would skew answers.

Thanks! You got to exactly the issue I couldn't quite pin down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Kennedy
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dustinc109 wrote:
Running an informal survey spawned from a conversation with my gaming group. Which is more important to you in a board game.

Why not all three? Having one or two of these does not mean that you can't have the third.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had to choose, I would go with #1. If the game's not there, no amount of chrome (theme, art, miniatures, etc) is going to make me come back to it. I'm not a huge fan of abstract gaming, but compared to something that's all fluff and weak play, I'd take it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1, and it's not even close. Theme and components can heighten my enjoyment of a game, but they are not worth it to me if the gameplay isn't great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It HAS to be gameplay for me. That being said, I especially like games that have gameplay and theme or gameplay and great artwork/components. Of course, if it has all three then it's complete nirvana.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
I like things arnmod
mbmbmbmbmb
Nine of my top 10 games I've heard people complain about the game play: often balance issues, or too much "swing" in the random elements. Most of those nine I love a great deal for the theme-- although the connection to theme isn't heavy in all of them either. Cosmic Encounter has especially thin theme.

The exception to both game play and theme is poker.

edit: Thinking more about Cosmic Encounter (I have the original edition).
Theme is weak. Gameplay is unbalanced. Components are thin cardboard and cheap art. Nonetheless it is a fantastic game. What is this top 3 list missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:
Thinking more about Cosmic Encounter (I have the original edition).
Theme is weak. Gameplay is unbalanced. Components are thin cardboard and cheap art. Nonetheless it is a fantastic game. What is this top 3 list missing?

HA! great example for my thoughts. I'd say that even though its unbalanced it has great gameplay and weak theme/components. Perhaps #1 should be split into:
fun and entertaining gameplay
well designed, from a strategic balanced view, gameplay

though then you kinda get some gray area because depending on the game the fun gameplay could be directly related to the theme, in some people's mind (aka I don't think like that but my wife does)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After careful consideration between 1 and 2, I think 1 has the slight edge. I have often turned down games that look awesome in theme but lack depth. I dislike pure abstract, but I suppose with some imagination I could make do. Still, theme is pretty important to me as well. Can I have both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's a balancing act across all 3. If either the components stink or the art stinks or the gameplay stinks I won't buy it.

Exception is Intruder which I picked up for "research" (and actually had fun playing).

Good art also includes cartoony stuff. E.g. Monkey Burger from TGC is one of my favorite card games and its artwork isn't as polished as other titles, but is still funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd argue that for a game's setting to be truly immersive it needs good mechanics that incorporate that goal into the gain.

So bad mechanics and strong theme are mutually incompatible.

Artwork will potentially get my attention for a game, but it doesn't matter much to me after that initial phase. I also don't think it has anything to do with how immersive a game is, apart from on the most superficial and trivial level.

Abyss is absolutely beautiful. One of the prettiest games I've ever played. It's also utterly unimmersive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
I'd argue that for a game's setting to be truly immersive it needs good mechanics that incorporate that goal into the gain.

So bad mechanics and strong theme are mutually incompatible.

Was limbering up the fingers to type out something along these lines.

If the gameplay is lacking, then the theme is not going to be immersive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do I have to choose?

Ok, fine, it's your post. Since I have to choose I'll choose #1, gameplay. The most important thing is does the game allow me to make skilled decisions that matter. If it doesn't, I'm not very interested. However, I also want some kind of decent theme. My top games all have good game play. Most of them have a decent theme (Concordia is the themeless one). One of them has miniatures (and my Agricola is pimped out with animeeples and vegimeeples and wood and such). All six of the games are good looking.

Sekigahara
Agricola
The Gallerist
Polis Fight for the Hegomony
Forbidden Stars
Concordia

I don't want to play a game without great gameplay but I also don't want to play a game that looks unattractive. Luckily, there are plenty of great games that provide both gameplay and looks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gameplay is more important than theme which is more important than art. There are plenty of games that offer all three, so having to settle on only one would mean I'd likely skip the game entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.