$15.00
$20.00
Jeff Lindsay
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
For anyone in the Atlanta area who would be interested in playing some STA with one of the designers Giga-bites Cafe in Marietta, GA is hosting an event on Saturday October 22nd, starting at 2pm. See the announcement below.

Quote:
Join Giga-bites and Gale Force Nine this Saturday October 22nd at 2:00, to learn to play Star Trek: Ascendancy, their new 4X Star Trek game. Aaron Dill, one of the designers of the game, will be there teach the game and answer any questions you like to throw his way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I used to live in Fayetteville... soblue

Maybe we can get together a list of questions for someone to take. Knock them all out in one fell swoop. Seems we've discovered a lot of debatable interpretations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oncoming Storm
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Seriously thinking about ditching a wedding to come to this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
OncomingStorm wrote:

I hope it's not yours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Mundane wrote:
OncomingStorm wrote:

I hope it's not yours!

I already marked myself as a maybe on Facebook! I was out playing the game last weekend, lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oncoming Storm
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Mundane wrote:
OncomingStorm wrote:

I hope it's not yours!

She'll understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, did anyone go? I was hoping to hear about the event. (And maybe see if a burning question or two got answered.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty
msg tools
japester1 wrote:
So, did anyone go? I was hoping to hear about the event. (And maybe see if a burning question or two got answered.)

Yeah, my girlfriend and I went. It was a really cool, surprisingly chill event! There was only one other guy there, so the three of us started playing a game, but the other guy left after a couple of turns, so Aaron stepped in.

He had no trouble beating us, but we got a great handle on the rules, and both he and a playtester had a ton of interesting things to say about the game. After trying the game for myself and hearing them talk about planned expansions, I bought a copy for a gift and plan on getting another for myself soon.

I didn't think to ask any specific rule questions, though, so all I can really talk about is what happened to come up in our game.

For anyone who lives nearby and missed it, they left a copy for Giga-bites' board game library. I think they have open gaming Tuesday nights, but that was my first time there, so I don't know the details. If you're on the fence, I'd highly recommend giving it a try (but read the rules first)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1337salty wrote:
He had no trouble beating us, but we got a great handle on the rules, and both he and a playtester had a ton of interesting things to say about the game. After trying the game for myself and hearing them talk about planned expansions,

Don't leave us in suspense! What interesting things and planned expansion things did they talk about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty
msg tools
Jatta Pake wrote:
Don't leave us in suspense! What interesting things and planned expansion things did they talk about?

Sorry, I'll have to be vague talking about future content; I don't want to accidentally spoil anything they didn't realize hadn't already been announced.

We spent a decent amount of time discussing the Ferengi. One of them specified that they're his favorite race to play. They emphasized that they're radically different than any of the base races. In particular, their Trade Agreements are supposed to be unique. From what they described, there are a lot of mechanics that make them true to the series and it's a very different experience than any of the other races. From playing, I got the impression that the three base races played somewhat similarly, with slightly different priorities and preferences. The Ferengi aren't like that. They're going to have unique strategies and they'll take actions that none of the other races would take. I'm hoping future expansion races are as unique as the Ferengi sound.

One of them was talking about how they thought five player games were best. In particular, it's because Trade Agreements get a lot more interesting. With three and even four players, the only strategy is in cutting off trade agreements when someone pulls ahead. With five, you can't have a trade agreement with everyone, which leads to some interesting conflict and diplomacy.

I haven't read the rulebook, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is already suggested there, but they talked about starting with 0 Ascendancy for a longer game with more buildup. Personally, I'm planning on trying it the next time I play. They also talked about how different the game gets depending on how close you set your starting planets. They were definitely encouraging you mess with the setup and win conditions for further variety, and I think I'll have a lot of fun with that.

Their talk about future expansions reassured me about a certain issue I had with the base game. My impression is that the game was shipped with the three base races mainly to keep cost down and make sure it releases for the 50th. If anyone is wary of the game because of X or Y missing feature, they should make sure to keep an eye out for future expansions. It sounds like they're well aware of concerns players would have and have already been working on addressing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update! Great info! I was anticipating that the Ferengi would play much differently from the other four "standard" races.

Did you get a sense that future expansions beyond the Ferengi would be in a similar vein and play very differently?

Any talk of the following hints already mentioned by GF9?
* Ten or more planned expansions
* Borg and Dominion will be NPCs
* Possible Andorian expansion
* Release of starbase minis in faction color

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty
msg tools
They didn't talk too far past the Ferengi, and I'm going to be overly cautious about giving away details, so there isn't a lot I can say.

I'm not certain whether they meant that the Ferengi is the most unusual of everything announced or everything playtested so far. A new race wouldn't have to be as weird as the Ferengi to have a unique playstyle, though, so it's hard to speculate.

We only talked about one unannounced expansion, and while I don't want to give away any details, I will say that if it comes out before I get my copy, it'll be the first expansion I buy. It looks like there will be a lot of interesting variety as they add more and more expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.