United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/donald-j.-trumps...

Quote:
OCTOBER 17, 2016 -

​DONALD J. TRUMP’S FIVE-POINT PLAN FOR ETHICS REFORM

“It’s Time To Drain The Swamp In Washington, D.C. That’s Why I’m Proposing A Package Of Ethics Reforms To Make Our Government Honest Once Again.” - Donald J. Trump

First: I am going to re-institute a 5-year ban on all executive branch officials lobbying the government for 5 years after they leave government service. I am going to ask Congress to pass this ban into law so that it cannot be lifted by executive order.

Second: I am going to ask Congress to institute its own 5-year ban on lobbying by former members of Congress and their staffs.

Third: I am going to expand the definition of lobbyist so we close all the loopholes that former government officials use by labeling themselves consultants and advisors when we all know they are lobbyists.

Fourth: I am going to issue a lifetime ban against senior executive branch officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government.

Fifth: I am going to ask Congress to pass a campaign finance reform that prevents registered foreign lobbyists from raising money in American elections.

Not only will we end our government corruption, but we will end the economic stagnation.

I agree with all five points.

Further, Hillary is likely opposed to this plan -- it is counter to the (terrible) way things in Washington are done.

I don't think this should change anyone's vote -- he's still unviable -- but this is another one of his policies that I would imagine most of us would espouse is a good position.

In a nutshell -- selling the influence you gained in Congress to a corporation after you're no longer in Congress should be banned.

Points 1-3 seem like obvious no-brainers, 4-5 I'm not as sure about; but they seem like a good idea on their faces.

If Trump ran on more stuff like these internal reforms, rather than xenophobia, well... he'd of never gotten through the primary I suppose. But I'd be happier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all 5 of these also, whole heartedly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree they are great ideas. I don't believe Trump believes them or would actually spend any energy advancing them. But it's good that he put them out there.

Wouldn't it be neat if Clinton would say, "Yes! Those are good ideas. I'll fight for the same thing!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
I agree they are great ideas. I don't believe Trump believes them or would actually spend any energy advancing them. But it's good that he put them out there.

Wouldn't it be neat if Clinton would say, "Yes! Those are good ideas. I'll fight for the same thing!"

It would be great.

I think it would sway my vote to Clinton if she espoused these ideas and Johnson denounced them (while he was stoned, of course.) I think they're terribly important ideas.

I also think she's opposed to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

Exactly. He is in desperation mode, seeking out any position where he can take a popular stand that he knows Hillary would not be able to get behind. But like you said, I don't think he actually cares about it. It's just his Hail Mary. If he cared about it, it would have come up a lot sooner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

It would be great.

I think it would sway my vote to Clinton if she espoused these ideas and Johnson denounced them (while he was stoned, of course.) I think they're terribly important ideas.

She should come out in favor since these are all dependent on Congress. There's no way they would ever pass any of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Terwox wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

It would be great.

She should come out in favor since these are all dependent on Congress. There's no way they would ever pass any of them.

Probably true!

But she struggles enough w/ the persona of being a hypocrite, the whole "public vs. private position" bit, and the like, so it might damage her to make that move as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good ideas. I wonder who gave them to him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:

I get the feeling if you asked him to expound on these, he wouldn't even be sure 100% what they referred to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Damn you, James, damn you. I clicked on this thread thinking he'd dropped out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good position. Not enough to vote for him, but nice to see he's actually articulated a good idea mixed in with a seemingly endless flood of terrible ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:

Though I agree with you, is this not the ideal role of every politician?

To sift through political thought and present the tempered viewpoint of experts?

I don't really expect a good politician to be creative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
Damn you, James, damn you. I clicked on this thread thinking he'd dropped out.

I'd take Trump/Pence over Pence/Cruz any day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T
United States
flag msg tools
I agree with those very sensible reforms. However, this...

Quote:
Not only will we end our government corruption, but we will end the economic stagnation.

...doesn't really follow from his proposals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:

Publicly she should support them, privately she wont cause mamma gotta get paid !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brickmaster wrote:

Quote:

Indeed, I thought the same thing.

Maybe he actually wrote that part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brickmaster wrote:

Quote:

I suppose the hope is that if we end corruption in DC, there will be fewer handouts and tax exemptions and that money will find its way back into the hands of the people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Nice ideas, but they don't go far enough.

Term limits for Congress: 12 years total, either Senate, House, or both

Campaign finance reform, Part 1: All monies donated to a candidate/office holder that remain after an election go into the Congress' general fund with a lock box so these excess campaign funds go to pay down the deficit

Campaign finance reform, Part 2: ALL DONORS must be identified along with the amounts they give to the candidate(s)

Campaign finance reform, Part 3: PACs, SuperPACs and other means to circumvent campaign finance laws are made illegal. Individuals, however, may purchase commercials, FB time, etc. AS LONG AS THE INDIVIDUAL IS IDENTIFIED AND THE COST (DONATION) IS ALSO IDENTIFIED

Yeah, none of these have a chance in hell of passage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

Campaign finance reform, Part 3: PACs, SuperPACs and other means to circumvent campaign finance laws are made illegal. Individuals, however, may purchase commercials, FB time, etc. AS LONG AS THE INDIVIDUAL IS IDENTIFIED AND THE COST (DONATION) IS ALSO IDENTIFIED

Flesh this one out for me a little more. How does undoing PACs but still allowing non-campaign commercials and such change anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Flesh this one out for me a little more. How does undoing PACs but still allowing non-campaign commercials and such change anything?

Theoretically through transparency.

It's not perfect -- a corp can pay a person to shill for them -- but stopping the ridiculous notion that a corporation is literally a corporeal being with rights would be a great first step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

First: I am going to re-institute a 5-year ban on all executive branch officials lobbying the government for 5 years after they leave government service. I am going to ask Congress to pass this ban into law so that it cannot be lifted by executive order.

How do you define this? Physical presence in washington? Working for a corporation with a physical presence in DC? A corporation thst cpntributes to any campaigns? This seems like a n+1 scenario.

Quote:

Second: I am going to ask Congress to institute its own 5-year ban on lobbying by former members of Congress and their staffs.

See #1

Quote:

Third: I am going to expand the definition of lobbyist so we close all the loopholes that former government officials use by labeling themselves consultants and advisors when we all know they are lobbyists.

To point #1. Also how do you oversee this? What sort of registry and enforcement prptocols? Once more as soon as you define it as N n+1 will appear.

Quote:

Fourth: I am going to issue a lifetime ban against senior executive branch officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government.

This is red meat and nothing more. Why executive and nit Legislative? Because Obama/Clinton/etc.
Quote:

Fifth: I am going to ask Congress to pass a campaign finance reform that prevents registered foreign lobbyists from raising money in American elections.

So, foreign lobbyistz cN't cold call? Does he mean provide contributiins? Citizens United makes this pointless. Donate money to group X who is not the candidate but 'supports the ideas in a non partisan manner that the candidate espouses' so it's non-profit and keeps the books closed.

All this crap is giving cough drops to a cancer patient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Everybody who thinks Congress will vote to limit the earning power of former members of Congress, raise your hands.

(crickets)

Yeah, me, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:

General reply:

It's a five-point plan, it doesn't go into specifics.

I'd love to simply ban registered lobbyists from being in DC physically at all, expand the definition of a registered lobbyist, make the penalties for illegal lobbying egregious and scaled to the financial size of the offending party, and appoint a regulatory body (or a free market group of incentivized external regulators, I don't care.)

But I'm fine w/ anyone providing the barest bones plan on reducing corruption in our government. There's nothing more important in my view than standing in the way of corruption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Everybody who thinks Congress will vote to limit the earning power of former members of Congress, raise your hands.

(crickets)

Yeah, me, too.

I fully agree.

Mencken wrote:
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
GameCrossing wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Because we have this silly thing called freedom of speech. If an individual wants to support a candidate through advertising, rallies, campaign buttons, etc., they should be free to do so. HOWEVER, by requiring identification and the amount spent, it gives us much more transparency as to whom is supporting the candidate. It's not that PACs and SuperPACs are terrible things per se, but this nonsense about being tax-exempt if they don't support a candidate or political party in an obvious way is silly. Just a dodge to keep from revealing donors, party affiliation, etc. Get rid of them, and let the rich fund their own commercials and own them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.