Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to get single paragraphs of what you think the best and worst parts of what we know about the TPP treaty now.

I don't have a strong opinion of it.

Please no huge long treatises to begin with. Try to keep them short and pithy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pros: Economists tell me trade is good
Cons: Experience tells me globalization drives down wages as we now compete w/ nations using child slaves to make our shoes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Anything TPP specific? That sounds like trade in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Thanks. Anything TPP specific? That sounds like trade in general.

Oh, no, I'm ignorant and mainly just subscribing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably should have posted that the TPP was awesome and going to be a great thing for everyone.

Asking questions often gets crickets while stating a definate position pulls people from the hills with torches and pitchforks to correct you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't break across party lines, so the RSP Hivemind doesn't know what to think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, again, nothing specific. Long term free trade is a plus. Especially with level playing fields. BUT....

Short term, hurts jobs.

It's kind of like our experience with automation, short term cuts jobs, long terms grows the economy. The whole John Henry thing.

The treaty is how much we push to get a level playing field.

I don't think it is hard enough (am not up to speed on the treaty)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends who you ask. It isn't really that much about tariffs on goods since many goods are already low or zero tariff because of the WTO. But it gets into a lot of newer generation trade issues, like e-trade and intellectual property protection (the US pharmaceutical industry has been bitching about only getting 80% of what they wanted not 100%...), easing customs barriers (non-tariff trade barriers and the like), trade in services, competition policy, etc. As well as things not traditionally considered in trade deals, like labor standards and environmental protection.

If you also look carefully at the membership, you will see that a big country whose name begins with CH and ends with INA isn't included... so there's a geopolitical play there too, to try to lock in countries in the region into the broader global trading system (in which the US is rather important) rather than falling too deep into a Chinese-dominated economic sphere of influence (oops, I said "China"). Probably that's part of the reason there's a chapter on competition with state-owned enterprises...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Investor–State Dispute Settlement Provision: Companies in member countries will be able to force other member countries into arbitration if they believe that local regulations damage their ability to do business. This could put US environmental regulations at risk, for example. The provision allows foreign investors to sue governments for actions perceived as violating new rights granted by the agreement and they can demand compensation for loss of potential future profits it the government doesn't change its policy.

For more detail see the Roosevelt Institute:
Joseph Stiglitz wrote:
...the key element is TPP’s investment chapter, which gives foreign investors the right to sue governments in private international arbitration when they feel their newly created property rights are violated (a process known as investor–state dispute settlement, or ISDS).

[...]

A foreign firm can sue the U.S. government in private arbitration for cash rewards if it thinks government actions violate the new rights and privileges granted by TPP, but domestic American firms have no such recourse in U.S. courts. Two arbitrators can, in effect, undermine decisions of Congress and the president, ordering billions of dollars in payments for their lost investment value and guesstimated lost profits.

Full text of the TPP can be found at this link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There aint no party like a toilet paper party, because a toilet paper party don't stop!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an agreement among:
• Australia
• Brunei
• Canada
• Chile
• Japan
• Malaysia
• Mexico
• New Zealand
• Peru
• Singapore
• United States
• Vietnam

China is not in on it, so it's a counterweight to China, and any negative effects should be unnoticeable compared to China's effects.

The biggest economies (I think) are the US, Canada, Mexico, and Japan, which we're already integrated with, so this is not a big change.

The agreement mostly frees trade from the US, to the tune of about one trillion dollars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess I'm wondering: what's wrong with the trade policies we have now? The US already has huge deficits as it is; why would other nations want to change that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
I guess I'm wondering: what's wrong with the trade policies we have now? The US already has huge deficits as it is; why would other nations want to change that?
So they get a bigger piece of the action. If china is hogging most of that deficit, it isn't helping out the other partners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm even further behind on this than I normally am, but as I recall, there were some pretty serious concerns about IP laws and TPP.

https://www.eff.org/issues/tpp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It favors Corporation rights over everyone elses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
yuk It 'usurps/abrogated' our "standards" with LACK of/for such as theirs, and so being considered 'acceptable' because; $$$$$.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.