Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who are you and what is this drek? - My name is Scott and I'm an omnigamer who loves AHLCG. I was lucky enough to buy an advance copy of the game from FFG and I wanted to give newbies my opinion on starting what MAY be an overwhelming game for some folks. I am only offering my opinions in the hope that something here will be helpful to someone and I'm sure that there will be folks who disagree with me (please see below for their equally valid opinions). I will edit and update this as I see fit.

What is Arkham Horror LCG?
- Check out a video review. Basically its a co-op LCG (think Lord of the Rings LCG) with a heavy emphasis on story and character development set in Fantasy Flight Games' Arkham Files Universe (which is born from Richard Launius' game Arkham Horror, which was inspired by Sandy Peterson's RPG Call of Cthulhu, which was inspired by the writings of HP Lovecraft).

Is the game any good?
- Yes, I'll post a review eventually. Do you enjoy Time Stories or Mansions of Madness 2.0? Do you enjoy LCGs or cooperative card games? If you said yes, you will probably enjoy this game quite a bit.

How many copies of the game do I need to buy? - It depends. If you just want to sample what the game has to offer just buy one copy (worst case scenario, it will be very easy to resell your core set of the game, because I expect the first print run to sell out quickly). If you want to play for the story and don't care about pre-constructing decks (which is super fun BTW) you only need 1 copy of the starter set for every 2 players you will play the game with. If you want to do SOME deck pre-construction, but don't want to go completely nuts, you will need 2 starter sets for every 2 players. If you want to fully embrace the possibilities of deck pre-construction OR if you want to solo the game with 2 investigators that have cards that overlap between decks, you will want to have 3 or even 4 sets.

That is nuts.
- Yes it is.

Why do I need that many boxes?
- Each of the 5 investigators in the starting set has 2 classes (a primary class and a secondary class). You can build your 30 card investigator deck using cards from either of your two classes PLUS the neutral class of cards. You can only have 1 or 2 copies of any card in your deck. So if there is a really cool card (and there are some very nice cards) you will probably want 2 of these in your deck(s). Each starter box comes with 1 copy of each class card and multiple (2 to 4) copies of each neutral card. The reason you want multiple boxes is so that you can build decks that have multiple copies of specific class cards and neutral cards. One of the best neutral cards in the starting set only comes with 2 copies in the starter box, and there are tons of cool class cards you'll only have 1 copy of too. The real problem comes when you want to build decks for investigators that have overlapping classes. For example, both Skids and Wendy use the Rogue class cards (it is Skid's primary class and Wendy's secondary class). I know of at least one really cool Rogue card that you will want to include in EVERY Rogue deck. That means you'll need 4 copies of the card if you want to play both Wendy and Skids in a campaign, and to get 4 copies, you'll need 4 starter sets. Of course, you could always build decks within your card pool limits (example, if you have 2 sets only, you just build your 2 Rogue decks keeping in mind the fact that you only have 2 copies of that one really cool Rogue class card).

Do I really need that many sets to be competitive at this game?
- No. As the card pool expands, there will be significantly more high quality cards to choose from. So in the long run, you don't need that many starter sets to take on the harder scenarios. Having a bunch of starter cards is mostly something for folks who want to min-max their decks. You will be able to build VERY good decks with just 1 or 2 starter sets. Keep in mind, you can always tear apart your decks after you finish a campaign and you can also proxy cards if you like.

How many sets are you buying Scott? I want to have 4 sets out of the gates. Why? I prefer to play this game solo with 2 investigators AND I may want to play this game with up to 4 players from time to time. If I want to have 4 solid decks that offer variety of game play options, I will need 4 core sets (until more cards are released for the game). There are a couple of very nice neutral cards that comes to mind that can be played to boost your investigation stat (arguably the most important stat) when you test a stat. I will want two of each of those cards in every deck I have, but the core set only comes with 2 copies of most of those cards.

Are you really worried this game will sell out of its first print run?
- Yes I am. Warhammer Quest ACG (FFG's last game like this) sold out relatively quickly and this game will likely be in greater demand, PLUS many folks will be buying multiple copies. Unless FFG prints a stupidly large order out of the gates (unlikely) I'd bet that this game is sold out or hard to find before the end of December. I am planning to get at least 1 extra set, maybe 2.

Edit - 10/28/2016 - CSI, Miniature Market, and Card Haus are all sold out of their pre-orders. Your best bet is to seek out less well known online stores or to reserve copies at your FLGS. The first run of AHLCG is pretty much a shoe in to sell out at this rate, so you best get moving.

I just bought this game, how do I learn to play it? - Congratulations on your wise decision go down this rabbit hole. Watch a game video and read the starter instructions. The rules reference should also be read (and it is a dense challenge to read) but it is necessary because there are tons of little rules that the starting guide doesn't cover at all.

I've read the rules and watched a video or two. What do I do next?
- Play a sample learning game covering JUST THE FIRST SCENARIO. Follow the instructions to build your starting decks (use Roland and Wendy). Play through a learning game with Roland and Wendy. I do NOT suggest playing with more then 2 players if nobody has experience playing the game.

So I played my first game. I loved it! What do I do now? - Excellent! First, read through all the investigator cards in your set to get a better feel for what each investigator plays like and what the different cards in the set do. Now you need to decide how you want to play through the first campaign. Do you want to experience the story? Do you want to do some deck construction? Do you want to experience the story, but also min-max your deck? If you want to just do the story, you are fine using the starter decks. Just be aware that future stories will probably require you to eventually use more powerful deck designs. If you want to focus on deck construction, you need to commit to either playing this with other people or doing some 2 handed solo gaming. The reason for this is that the best min-max deck designs are going to be cooperative decks. By this I mean you will want to design decks that combo off of one another. Its very cool. Be sure to buy as many starters set as you need, quickly, because the initial print run should sell out quickly, I fear. Build your decks and start playing! If you want to do it all, follow all the steps I've outlined.

What is the deal with the one off adventure The Curse of the Rougarou? - TCOTR is a one shot adventure that will soonish be available for purchase. This single scenario probably works best NOT being used during a campaign (you can spend 1 xp to go on this adventure between campaign scenarios). I feel that this scenario works best with more investigators (2-4). It is more challenging then the base scenarios, but offers several neat ideas. You don't NEED to get this off the secondary market, it will be available soon from FFG. If you enjoy the first campaign, buying this is a no brainier. Just keep in mind this will only give you a scenario to play through, there are no new cards you can use in building your investigator decks.

How hard is this game? - It can be as challenging as you want it to be. Difficulty is scaled by adjusting the tokens that make up the chaos bag. If you want to make the game easier (so you can enjoy the story, or you just don't want to mess with building a deck) you can follow the scenario instructions or even just add in better tokens to the bag. House ruling difficulty is SUPER easy in this game.

My personal opinion regarding difficulty is that FFG's "Standard Difficulty" is a good level to start with. It forces you to learn the nuances of the game but it isn't unfairly hard or punishing. Easy mode lacks teeth and doesn't really require investigators to cooperate much or do any deck building. Anything harder than Standard is rough and brutal. I think standard is my cup of tea for now. Who knows, this may change though as the pool of investigator cards grows.

How deep is the box? Does it come well organized, or does my little organizing heart get to go to work? If so, will a standard type divider work? - Ugh, you aren't going to like this. AHLCG comes in one of FF's smaller sized game boxes. Think Blood Bowl: Team Manager, Elder Sign, Warhammer Quest: ACG. So yeah, the box is almost completely non-functional, sorry. I will probably find an extra box I'm not using for some other game and use a broken token insert. I can always cut up one of my AHLCG boxes and glue the art and title to the new box.

I am super concerned this will turn into the minmax/no room for trait/theme decks game LOTR became. Really hoping the deckbuilding can stay light if you want it to. LOTR taught me I don't want to prep, but to play. - Part of the beauty of the game is that you can adjust the difficulty so that you can focus on the story or building thematic decks. It is very easy to adjust the chaos bag to take this into consideration. Another thing to keep in mind is that dying is a valid outcome of any given scenario. It isn't like LOTR where you are forced to start again. When you are defeated, you get a specific ending and then go on to the next scenario in the campaign. The hardcore deck construction is only there for folks who want to go down that path.

Is there any way to squeeze a third deck out of a single core box? Approximately, how many cards would I have to proxy?
- Since you are only using the Starter Box Campaign you can make it work without proxying. There are two ways you could go about doing this (understand that this is how I would house rule it, it is not an official variant, but it is based on what is outlined by the rules):

Option 1, build starter decks for Roland & Wendy. Then build as much of Agnes Baker's starter deck as you have cards for. This should put you at around 15 to 20 cards in your deck towards your 30 card limit. You can fill out the remaining 10 - 15 cards using whatever leftover level 0 cards you can find PLUS add leveled up cards for Agnes UP TO 9 points worth. If that isn't enough cards to build your deck, I'd allow yourself up to 19 points worth of leveled up cards. If you added 0-9 xp to her starting deck, add one random weakness card to her deck (not counting against her deck limit of 30 cards). If you added 10 - 19 worth of xp cards, add 2 random weakness cards to her deck. You may run out of leveled up cards she can add to her deck during a campaign. IF so, spend 5 xp to remove 1 random weakness from her deck.

Option 2 is the same as above, except that you could customize ALL THREE investigators using the terms I've described above.

In either case, Agnes is going to run a bit differently from Roland & Wendy. She will have less synergy in her deck, but should function pretty well. She may also have a few slightly more powerful cards but at the cost of having the extra weaknesses in her deck.

The biggest problem here is that you may run out of tokens and need to sub extras in from time to time.

Do I need to buy any of the play mats?
- It depends on your needs. There are two styles of play mats. The full mat is a larger mat and is intended to be used in multiplayer games. The large mat does have slots for the Mythos Deck and the other "community" decks/discard piles in the game. You can see a picture of it here:

The large mat runs roughly $25 usd.

The smaller mats are for individual players and work well in smaller games. They run $20 usd, and have a lot of variety in the artwork used on the mat. They do not have slots to place cards on the mat. For me, the mat is not necessary, although I do like that the big mat has slots for cards.

The wait is killing me. Any other good sources of info on this game? Yes. I was lucky enough to be in the front row for this talk:

• [+] Dice rolls
Michel Velleman
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:
Who are you and what is this drek? - My name is Scott and I'm an omnigamer who loves AHLCG. I was lucky enough to buy an advance copy of the game from FFG and I wanted to give newbies my opinion on starting what MAY be an overwhelming game for some folks. I am only offering my opinions in the hope that something here will be helpful to someon and I'm sure that there will be folks who disagree with me (please see below for their equally valid opinions). I will edit and update this as I see fit.

What is Arkham Horror LCG?
- Check out a video review. Basically its a co-op LCG (think Lord of the Rings LCG) with a heavy emphasis on story and character development set in Fantasy Flight Games' Arkham Files Universe (which is born from Richard Launius' game Arkham Horror, which was inspired by Sandy Peterson's RPG Call of Cthulhu, which was inspired by the writings of HP Lovecraft).

Is the game any good?
- Yes, I'll post a review eventually. Do you enjoy Time Stories or Mansions of Madness 2.0? Do you enjoy LCGs or cooperative card games? If you said yes, you will probably enjoy this game quite a bit.

How many copies of the game do I need to buy? - It depends. If you just want to sample what the game has to offer just buy one copy (worst case scenario, it will be very easy to resell your core set of the game, because I expect the first print run to sell out quickly). If you want to play for the story and don't care about pre-constructing decks (which is super fun BTW) you only need 1 copy of the starter set for every 2 players you will play the game with. If you want to do SOME deck pre-construction, but don't want to go completely nuts, you will need 2 starter sets for every 2 players. If you want to fully embrace the possibilities of deck pre-construction OR if you want to solo the game with 2 investigators that have cards that overlap between decks, you will want to have 3 or even 4 sets.

That is nuts.
- Yes it is.

Why do I need that many boxes?
- Each of the 5 investigators in the starting set has 2 classes (a primary class and a secondary class). You can build your 30 card investigator deck using cards from either of your two classes PLUS the neutral class of cards. You can only have 1 or 2 copies of any card in your deck. So if there is a really cool card (and there are some very nice cards) you will probably want 2 of these in your deck(s). Each starter box comes with 1 copy of each class card and multiple (2 to 4) copies of each neutral card. The reason you want multiple boxes is so that you can build decks that have multiple copies of specific class cards and neutral cards. One of the best neutral cards in the starting set only comes with 2 copies in the starter box, and there are tons of cool class cards you'll only have 1 copy of too. Theal problem comes when you want to build decks for investigators that have overlapping classes. For example, both Skids and Wendy use the Rogue class cards (it is Skid's primary class and Wendy's secondary class). I know of at least one really cool Rogue card that you will want to include in EVERY Rogue deck. That means you'll need 4 copies of the card if you want to play both Wendy and Skids in a campaign, and to get 4 copies, you'll need 4 starter sets. Of course, you could always build decks within your card pool limits (example, if you have 2 sets only, you just build your 2 Rogue decks keeping in mind the fact that you only have 2 copies of that one really cool Rogue class card).

Do I really need that many sets to be competitive at this game?
- No. As the card pool expands, there will be significantly more high quality cards to choose from. So in the long run, you don't need that many starter sets to take on the harder scenarios. Having a bunch of starter cards is mostly something for folks who want to min-max their decks. You will be able to build VERY good decks with just 1 or 2 starter sets. Keep in mind, you can always tear apart your decks after you finish a campaign and you can also proxy cards if you like.

Are you really worried this game will sell out of its first print run?
- Yes I am. Warhammer Quest ACG (FFG's last game like this) sold out relatively quickly and this game will likely be in greater demand, PLUS many folks will be buying multiple copies. Unless FFG prints a stupidly large order out of the gates (unlikely) I'd bet that this game is sold out or hard to find before the end of December. I am planning to get at least 1 extra set, maybe 2.

I just bought this game, how do I learn to play it? - Congratulations on your wise decision go down this rabbit hole. Watch a game video and read the starter instructions. The rules reference should also be read (and it is a dense challenge to read) but it is necessary because there are tons of little rules that the starting guide doesn't cover at all.

I've read the rules and watched a video or two. What do I do next?
- Play a sample learning game covering JUST THE FIRST SCENARIO. Follow the instructions to build your starting decks (use Roland and Wendy). Play through a learning game with Roland and Wendy. I do NOT suggest playing with more then 2 players if nobody has experience playing the game.

So I played my first game. I loved it! What do I do now? - Excellent! First, read through all the investigator cards in your set to get a better feel for what each investigator plays like and what the different cards in the set do. Now you need to decide how you want to play through the first campaign. Do you want to experience the story? Do you want to do some deck construction? Do you want to experience the story, but also min-max your deck? If you want to just do the story, you are fine using the starter decks. Just be aware that future stories will probably require you to eventually use more powerful deck designs. If you want to focus on deck construction, you need to commit to either playing this with other people or doing some 2 handed solo gaming. The reason for this is that the best min-max deck designs are going to be cooperative decks. By this I mean you will want to design decks that combo off of one another. Its very cool. Be sure to buy as many starters set as you need, quickly, because the initial print run should sell out quickly, I fear. Build your decks and start playing! If you want to do it all, follow all the steps I've outlined.

What is the deal with the one off adventure The Curse of the Rougarou? - TCOTR is a one shot adventure that will soonish be available for purchase. This single scenario probably works best NOT being used during a campaign (you can spend 1 xp to go on this adventure between campaign scenarios). I feel that this scenario works best with more investigators (2-4). It is more challenging then the base scenarios, but offers several neat ideas. You don't NEED to get this off the secondary market, it will be available soon from FFG. If you enjoy the first campaign, buying this is a no brainier. Just keep in mind this will only give you a scenario to play through, there are no new cards you can use in building your investigator decks.

How hard is this game? - It can be as challenging as you want it to be. Difficulty is scaled by adjusting the tokens that make up the chaos bag. If you want to make the game easier (so you can enjoy the story, or you just don't want to mess with building a deck) you can follow the scenario instructions or even just add in better tokens to the bag. House ruling difficulty is SUPER easy in this game.

You know what? I think this article was really helpful, and more peoples should do the same thing for different games!

Thank-you!laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, this was — excuse me — a damn fine newbie guide!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherri Fillingham
msg tools
mb
Wow, that was one of the best intros to this game I have seen. Very well done!

I have one quick question. I am one of those people who want to organize the hell out of a game. (There are games I own that I've had more fun organizing than playing the game.) Anyway ... how deep is the box? Does it come well organized, or does my little organizing heart get to go to work? If so, will a standard type divider work?

Thanks for doing the guide. I may print it out and keep it with the rules that I've already downloaded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The box is the same one used for Conquest, it's rather small and will not fit cards standing on edge.

If you have extras of older FFG big boxes, there are good organizers you can buy for these from online vendors, or you can use the Hobby Lobby box and organizer. Alternately, you can take the binder approach to organization. You can also make your own custom solution if you wish.

Currently I am thinking of using a binder for my player cards and putting dividers into a spare Call of Cthulhu LCG box for my encounter cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slfillingham wrote:
Wow, that was one of the best intros to this game I have seen. Very well done!

I have one quick question. I am one of those people who want to organize the hell out of a game. (There are games I own that I've had more fun organizing than playing the game.) Anyway ... how deep is the box? Does it come well organized, or does my little organizing heart get to go to work? If so, will a standard type divider work?

Thanks for doing the guide. I may print it out and keep it with the rules that I've already downloaded.

Ugh, you aren't going to like this. AHLCG comes in one of FF's smaller sized game boxes. Think Blood Bowl: Team Manager, Elder Sign, Warhammer Quest: ACG. So yeah, the box is almost completely non-functional, sorry. I will probably find an extra box I'm not using for some other game and use a broken token insert. I can always cut up one of my AHLCG boxes and glue the art and title to the new box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Article nailed it.
Absolutely my game of the year.
Possibly now my favorite ever... you ask isn't that early to call? Very rarely had a game come out that I'm nearly 20 hours deep in just a few days.... and I want to just keep playing and building decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thearkhammonk wrote:

Absolutely my game of the year.

Hmmm ... I hadn't even thought about my BGG score on this one yet. Probably gonna settle right around a 9 or high 8. I don't think 2016 has been as strong as a year for games as 2015. Just glancing at my top games for 2016, this one probably falls into my top 3 for the year and could migrate higher on the list as more investigator cards are release. It probably just edges out 51st State 3.0 for me. For now, my GOTY is still Mansions of Madness 2.0. I still haven't played Inis or Cry Havoc and those may wind up in my discussion of top games for 2016.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal Paradice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great overview! I am super concerned this will turn into the minmax/no room for trait/theme decks game LOTR became. Really hoping the deckbuilding can stay light if you want it to. LOTR taught me I don't want to prep, but to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shafer
msg tools
I was really hoping ffg would revert to a full size box. The broken token small lcg organizer is an ok solution, it lays the cards on their side in two rows, and leans them back to reduce height. The box lid is raised about one quarter inch or so and they supply a box band to keep it firmly in place. I've used it with conquest and do like it, but you will run out of room in the core box before the 2nd cycle ends. I'll probably use it to store player cards, and keep the scenarios in their clamshell packs (again sadly so, I wish they would've kept the well made tuck boxes). As for the deluxe boxes, they are Complete garbage. the downgrade of all the lcg packaging is really sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salparadice1 wrote:
Great overview! I am super concerned this will turn into the minmax/no room for trait/theme decks game LOTR became. Really hoping the deckbuilding can stay light if you want it to. LOTR taught me I don't want to prep, but to play.

Part of the beauty of the game is that you can adjust the difficulty so that you can focus on the story or building thematic decks. It is very easy to adjust the chaos bag to take this into consideration. Another thing to keep in mind is that dying is a valid outcome of any given scenario. It isn't like LOTR where you are forced to start again. When you are defeated, you get a specific ending and then go on to the next scenario in the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:

Part of the beauty of the game is that you can adjust the difficulty so that you can focus on the story or building thematic decks. It is very easy to adjust the chaos bag to take this into consideration. Another thing to keep in mind is that dying is a valid outcome of any given scenario. It isn't like LOTR where you are forced to start again. When you are defeated, you get a specific ending and then go on to the next scenario in the campaign.

Did not know that - thanks for the tip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you sold me a copy.

I was hesitant to do this b/c I'm already somewhat deep into LOTR, even though I have had a love/hate relationship with LOTR. Love the deckbuilding and the game mechanisms, but I'm one of the people who likes his coop games to be on the easier side (or at least not on the brutally punishing side). LOTR's difficulty was often frustrating and playing the easy variant felt like only getting half the game. Hearing this Arkham has easily adjustable difficulty has my ears perked up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Easily the BEST newbie guide I have ever read!

Well Done!

Why can't publishers do this for there games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great article!

scottatlaw wrote:
The real problem comes when you want to build decks for investigators that have overlapping classes. For example, both Skids and Wendy use the Rogue class cards (it is Skid's primary class and Wendy's secondary class). I know of at least one really cool Rogue card that you will want to include in EVERY Rogue deck. That means you'll need 4 copies of the card if you want to play both Wendy and Skids in a campaign, and to get 4 copies, you'll need 4 starter sets.

Alternatively, since the game is cooperative, you could simply print/copy a proxy and slip it into a sleeve with another card. I doubt anybody at your game table will be too upset.

I did a similar thing with LOTR--I bought two sets, and for those 12 or so cards that I only had 2 copies of, I just made a proxy.

Thanks again for the really informative write-up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already ordered a copy after watching some GenCon videos about the game. Unfortunately, I only ordered one copy, and I really should have known better from my experiences with Star Wars: The Card Game and Android: Netrunner. This will mostly be a solo game for me, which I expect (eventually) to play two-handed.

However, I was/am hoping to play a 3-player game of this with some friends I'm seeing over Thanksgiving (late November holiday for non-USA folks). Is there any way to squeeze a third deck out of a single core box? Approximately, how many cards would I have to proxy?

Thanks for the guide!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Is there any way to squeeze a third deck out of a single core box? Approximately, how many cards would I have to proxy?

Since you are only using the Starter Box Campaign you can make it work without proxying. There are two ways you could go about doing this (understand that this is how I would house rule it, it is not an official variant, but it is based on what is outlined by the rules):

Option 1, build starter decks for Roland & Wendy. Then build as much of Agnes Baker's starter deck as you have cards for. This should put you at around 15 to 20 cards in your deck towards your 30 card limit. You can fill out the remaining 10 - 15 cards using whatever leftover level 0 cards you can find PLUS add leveled up cards for Agnes UP TO 9 points worth. If that isn't enough cards to build your deck, I'd allow yourself up to 19 points worth of leveled up cards. If you added 0-9 xp to her starting deck, add one random weakness card to her deck (not counting against her deck limit of 30 cards). If you added 10 - 19 worth of xp cards, add 2 random weakness cards to her deck. You may run out of leveled up cards she can add to her deck during a campaign. IF so, spend 5 xp to remove 1 random weakness from her deck.

Option 2 is the same as above, except that you could customize ALL THREE investigators using the terms I've described above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your response, Scott! That really eases my mind.

P.S. I love your avatar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playmats?

Is it official (or at least a fairly confirmed rumor) they will be selling playmays and not just using them as swag at conventions or organized play events?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect we'll see both sorts. Some will be for sale, as these appear to be, and some will probably be given out at events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They said at arkham nights that those mats will be on sale to the general public. We got to buy them first there, 4 different $20 and a 26"x26" one for $25
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
Playmats?

Is it official (or at least a fairly confirmed rumor) they will be selling playmays and not just using them as swag at conventions or organized play events?

The staff at Arkham Nights told me that the big mat and the 4 smaller ones (different art on all 4 smaller ones) will be available through most distributors. There are 2 "exclusive" artwork small mats that will likely be only available through cons or special events (sadly, this includes one of the best art options for the small mat).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott which two were exclusive?
I picked up 3 of the 4 and don't want to kick myself for missing out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thearkhammonk wrote:

The nice exclusive one is this:

I don't see a picture of the other one, but it depicted a male investigator (maybe in a tan trench coat). He is holding up a flashlight (at or above his head I think) and you can see a slimy tentacle monster rising up behind him. The art on it was a bit odd.

FFG did not let folks at the event pick up both mats, but we got to pick one or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:
thearkhammonk wrote:

The nice exclusive one is this:

I don't see a picture of the other one, but it depicted a male investigator (maybe in a tan trench coat). He is holding up a flashlight (at or above his head I think) and you can see a slimy tentacle monster rising up behind him. The art on it was a bit odd.

FFG did not let folks at the event pick up both mats, but we got to pick one or the other.

That says "Call of Cthulhu," not "Arkham Horror," though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.